In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.
Options

Bull Frogs

Chief ShawayChief Shaway Member, Moderator Posts: 6,196 ******
edited July 2014 in The Fishing Hole!
Hit a farm pond tonight. We made three passes on it and ended up with 14 nice frogs. Saw lots of smaller ones so the future is looking good for it, as long as the Herons don't spoil it. It's been years since I gigged. Used to just wade close to the banks but with age comes the need for a small boat. [;)] Great night tho and am looking forward to my share of it tommorow. Thinking of grilling them. Got them soaking in salt, Italian seasoning, minced garlic and onions.

Comments

• Options
    kimikimi Member Posts: 44,723 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    This brings back some great memories. Enjoy!
    What's next?
  • Options
    MMOMEQ-55MMOMEQ-55 Member Posts: 13,134
    edited November -1
    Scarce around here. As a kid, we had plenty around here. Now you are lucky to find one a night. And you have to work at it for that one.

Sounds like you had a fun night.
  • Options
    asopasop Member Posts: 8,910 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    In my younger days waded along the banks (was told a frog won't spoke if a light hits him from the water side, only from land??). At any rate hand caught literally gunny bags full. Got to the point all that cleaning wasn't worth the little meat they provided.
  • Options
    BeeramidBeeramid Member, Moderator Posts: 7,264 ******
    edited November -1
    The trick to frog grabbin is being the first one in when the season starts. Our season opens early spring, then shuts down for two months for the breeding season. It's been several years since since my last trip, we caught 56, there were more gators then frogs.
  • Options
    317wc317wc Member Posts: 924 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I have always been curious about eating frogs, I have had them one time before, at a friends parents restaurant, I remember them being very good. I will have to look into it as I see a lot where I fish but none seem to be very large. A gig is basically a spear, with a barbed point on the end right? How do you clean and cook them?
  • Options
    BeeramidBeeramid Member, Moderator Posts: 7,264 ******
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by 317wc
    I have always been curious about eating frogs, I have had them one time before, at a friends parents restaurant, I remember them being very good. I will have to look into it as I see a lot where I fish but none seem to be very large. A gig is basically a spear, with a barbed point on the end right? How do you clean and cook them?

Some people spear them, but its a lot more fun to use a spotlight and catch them by hand. The plus side to that is they're alive, and you can get up and clean them the next day.

For harder to reach frogs you can use one of these, most of the time this wont kill them, but you really have to nail the frog with it.

64145.jpg
  • Options
    edited November -1
    Just kill them then pull the skin off of the legs, then remove the feet then the legs from the body.
    You can batter them and deep fry them or I like them wrapped in foil on the grill for 20-30 minutes.
    I use a regular fish gig. The pond we were on has a bunch of brush around it. I have the gig on a 10 aluminum pole.
    Our season opens the 15th of June. With all of the rain we've had, the pond will probably be too full but I'm sure we'll give it a go anyway.
  • Options
    wpagewpage Member Posts: 10,204 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Taste like chicken!
  • Options
    TfloggerTflogger Member Posts: 3,285 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    The best spot when I was a kid was a pond in a graveyard, some people didn't like us having fun there so it got posted.[:(!]
  • Options
    edited November -1
    Hit them again tonight.
    The first pond we hit was a government pond with buddy and I in one canoe and our sons in the other.
    We pulled 8 total from it.
    It was pretty grown up with no land showing.
    The second pond was private with just me and my buddy.
    A lot has changed on it in 2 years.
    The reeds have taken it over. The frogs we were able to see and stick were still in 3+' of water.
    Way too much cover for them to hide in.
    Still, we ended up with a nice mess that will be very tasty tomorrow.
    When we were leaving, you could still hear them croaking so....maybe next time for them.
  • Options
    kimikimi Member Posts: 44,723 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Enjoy the meal! I do miss the days of gigging bullfrogs!
    What's next?
  • Options
    grizzclawgrizzclaw Member Posts: 1,159 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    We're only allowed 10 a nite. Eat the whole thing if it's big enough. Butter and salt in a cast iron skillet.