Lures I Wish They Still Made

bowfinbowfin Member Posts: 23 ✭✭
edited September 2019 in The Fishing Hole!
1. Bass Oreno
2. Fred Arbogast Sputterfuss
3. Mann's Razorbacks
4. Heddon Cousin
5. Heddon Prowler
6. Bagley's Smoo
7. Rabble Rousers
8. Natural Ikes
9. Cisco Kid 300
10. Heddon River Runt

...and you tell me what this last one should be...or the next ten.

Yes, I know there are lots of lures that work just as well or better, but I am on a nostalgia kick as of late. I really have never met anyone who caught a fish on a Heddon Cousin, but the one and only specimen I had was worth the price just to look at in the tackle box:

Cousin_zps0335e677.jpg

Yep, that was the color I had. It cost me $1.69 at the Woolworth's store, back when my after school job paid $1.75 per hour. Funny what a guy can remember and what he doesn't...

Comments

• bigbill0910bigbill0910 Member Posts: 1,119 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Arbogast Prancer (like a Pop R)
    Herb's Dilly (in line spinner with a heavy front. Bass would throw easy but would catch pretty good.)
    Smithwick Clown(spinerbait)

Smithwick No-no (spinerbait)
  • bowfinbowfin Member Posts: 23 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    I forgot the Clark (Spence) Water Scout and the Worth Flutter Fin.
  • BeeramidBeeramid Member, Moderator Posts: 7,206 ******
    edited November -1
    Luhr Jensen "Woodchopper"
  • fishkiller41fishkiller41 Member Posts: 50,608
    edited November -1
    Do they still make the "hula-popper".
    Always my early AM and evening go-to poppers..
    I love top-water bites...EXCITING!
  • BeeramidBeeramid Member, Moderator Posts: 7,206 ******
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by fishkiller41
    Do they still make the "hula-popper".
    Always my early AM and evening go-to poppers..
    I love top-water bites...EXCITING!

Arbogast still makes the hula popper. I want to get my hands on their newest top water bait called the "Buzz Plug".

Top water is a blast, lately my go to bait has been a rage tail shad, its a soft plastic that you rig weightless on an EWG #4-5 worm hook. Bass hit it like a ton of bricks
  • wpagewpage Member Posts: 10,186 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    They are out there...

Get out your mask and snorkel and find that big old sunken log by the hole.
  • torosapotorosapo Member Posts: 4,946
    edited November -1
    I used to have a spoon called the Kam Looper, always slammed the bass with that.
  • Gary LGary L Member Posts: 291 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Rocky Jr.

DSCN0017.jpg

Absolute Brookie Killer and hard to find these days.
  • asopasop Member Posts: 7,029 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Big old "Bobby Bait" hand made up here in Wisc. I believe. Great Muskie bait.
  • dipitsdipits Member Posts: 1,636 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Mad Dad made by Cr?me
  • wpagewpage Member Posts: 10,186 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
  • remingtongeoremingtongeo Member Posts: 178
    edited November -1
    I loved the "River Runt". I have two left. Gotta be careful where I throw them.
  • GunswapperGunswapper Member Posts: 770 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    Lur (spelling) Jenson Tiger Tail. When they quit making them some fishing buddies & I got in contact with the company and had 12 dozen custom made. When we were about to run out we tried to get more made but the company had sold out. The new company no longer had the molds so we are out of luck. I like the 1/8 oz. with a white body, black hair tail and silver spinner blade. I usually add the back half of a 1" chartruese curly tail grub hung on one prong of the treble hook. Great for panfish, trout, large and smallmouth bass. I have even caught crappie and channel cat on them. Good for wade fishing creeks & rivers and farm ponds. If anyone has some they will sell I am interested.
  • sparkyvsparkyv Member Posts: 44 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    I like runts also.

[img][/img]409980113.jpg
  • CoolhandLukeCoolhandLuke Member Posts: 7,815 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Broken back redneck was great!!
    We have to fight so we can run away.
    Capt. Jack Sparrow.
  • GunswapperGunswapper Member Posts: 770 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    When in high school (graduated in 1962) I used a "Miracle Minnow" Don't know who made it. It was made of glass (or something similar). Worked on bass and panfish. Not good to use in the Cossatot river (western Arkansas) due to the many rocks. It would catch the fish but if you hit a rock on the cast they would shatter!
  • asopasop Member Posts: 7,029 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Our lake has an inlet creek with a bridge over it. There also has utility lines running maybe 20' from the bridge. Must be at least 50-60 lures hanging off the lower line :o
  • gesshotsgesshots Member Posts: 13,973 ✭✭✭
    It's being willing. I found out early that most men, regardless of cause or need, aren't willing. They blink an eye or draw a breath before they pull the trigger. I won't. ~ J.B. Books
  • usaf46270usaf46270 Member Posts: 2
    mister twister made a soft shad, it was called the killer shad, the tail was serrated, so it swam back and fourth just like a real fish. mister twister stopped making them, i found some on ebay. when i was tdy in alaska, one guy from another squadron was fishing all morning without a bite, i showed up, within 30 minutes  hooked a very nice northern pike, i gave him one, within 10 minutes he hooked one that was bigger than mine. after 1 northern puke, they shredded the plastic lure. i gave him 10. .  wish mister twister still sold them.  i was thinking, they use to sell a bug maker for kids. i remember them. if i could find one of the machines i might be able to make some of them.