In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.
Options

MIA

iluvgunsiluvguns Member Posts: 5,351
edited March 2006 in US Military Veteran Forum
Hello All..No, I didn't serve in Vietnam. Thanks to all you who did. You have my utmost respect. The war in Nam did hit home for me in a unique way though, especially for a first grader. I was born in 1965. Dad graduated high school in 1960, and a good friend of his went through ROTC, and became a Phantom pilot in the Air Force. When he received his orders, his family moved back to my hometown, and moved in 3 doors down from my family. Had a daughter my age. We became very good "play buddies" and spent lots of time together. I remember wondering why her dad was not at home. Anyway...in October 1972, right after we started the first grade, her mom received word that her husband had been shot down over Laos. He was flying a mission near the city of Ban Na Mai. Only one chute was seen. His rear-seater was recovered, but Major Bill Wood is still in Laos. He was finally declared KIA in 1979. I wore his copper bracelet until 1983, when I left it at the Wall in his memory. I only know Major Wood through pictures and memories of his daughter and wonderful wife, who never remarried. Major Bill Wood...I salute you. You will NOT be forgotten.

Comments

• Options
    DancesWithSheepDancesWithSheep Member Posts: 12,938 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    That you remember his name and remember it for us here does him honor. There are too many whose names we will never know, and whose sacrifices will never be known to us. Thank you for remembering Major Wood.
  • Options
    BT3BT3 Member Posts: 1,913 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Nice of you to remember and good comment by DWS. I still have a bracelet waiting for the solider to come home. Will leave it at the wall when he gets home. [:)]