In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.

The Old Tunnel Rat is Gone

mateomasfeomateomasfeo Member Posts: 27,143
edited April 2006 in US Military Veteran Forum
Lloyd was a rough ol' Ba$tard. He did things his way. He was my friend. When you can no longer breath, you cash in your chips.

Lloyd did two tours in Vietnam and was a Tunnel Rat. Though small in stature, Lloyd got the nerve racking task of crawling down in the tunnels where the enemy hid and lived (not to mention snakes and other large insects and mammals). Two tours and never a scratch, though his hearing was ruined and he learned to smoke, which ultimately killed him this morning.

His favorite weapon was the Thompson backed up with a 1911. He didn't talk about his service much though the subject always intrigued me. As time went by we became friends, and he almost became comfortable talking about his experiences.

He let me me call him the " Old Tunnel Rat," and I helped him get free of an a-number-one Beeeeach. You might say we fought side-by-side though I do not mean to infer I know of true war like Lloyd.

Lloyd, you suck for dying, you ba$tard.

But I love ya anyway!

RIP Lloyd C.
(Ol' Tunnel Rat)
Born: 09/01/1938
Died: 04/17/2006

Comments

• dolfandolfan Member Posts: 4,159
    edited November -1
    RIP, Lloyd.
    IMO, tunnel rats had to be, by the very nature of their task, the meanest, tuffest, craziest dudes in Nam.
  • Ray BRay B Member Posts: 11,822
    edited November -1
    I'm not sure that we Viet Vets will be counted as I see WW1 &11 vets counted- average so many vets dying each day; primarily because we Viet Vets seem to be dying at younger ages than our predecessors; but we are certainly becoming part of the cost of the war.