In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.
Options

I missed the party...

nordnord Member Posts: 6,106
I graduated from high school in 1966 and signed up for the Marines a couple of months before school was out... Figured I'd rather get shot at than put up with campus hippies.

Took my physical and flunked due to a previously undetected heart murmur and thus ended my military career. In hindsight it may have saved my life.

I don't understand the wannabe's. I thank God that I made an honest effort to serve and was rejected. For those of you who served, I have nothing but the deepest respect and admiration. Why anyone would lie about having been to that awful place, I have no idea.

Please accept a salute from a grateful civilian. Thank you for your service.

Comments

• Options
    dheffleydheffley Member Posts: 25,000
    edited November -1
    Nord,

Thank you. As you know, we didn't see much "respect" then or for many years after. I knew the majority of people opposed the war, but they blamed the politicians not the soldiers. The ones who blamed us just yelled louder, but if that's all you hear, you think everyone is against you.[V]
  • Options
    jkingrphjkingrph Member Posts: 3 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    Nord,

I really did not want military. Saw enough in 2 years of army rotc, so when draft notice came joined the Air Force, basic the ots, trained as weapons controller. Never should have been trained, could not pass flight physical. Finally transferd back to medical service. I had finished college as pharmacist before AF, Served 10 years, got married had 2 year honeymoon with new wife in Turkey. Then out for about 10 years, back into reserve to help build up college fund for my son. Called up 3 months later and deployed to England for a contengiency hospital during Desert Storm.

I understand about those not able to serve for physical, medical reasons. The services do not want to have to take care of those problems along with what is necessary. I had several cousins who did not serve for similar reasons, so no hard feelings only digust for the wannabes and those who make up tales.

J.J. King RPH
    Maj USAF BSC Hon Ret.
  • Options
    DancesWithSheepDancesWithSheep Member Posts: 12,938 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by nord
    Took my physical and flunked due to a previously undetected heart murmur and thus ended my military career. In hindsight it may have saved my life.

I'm not a believer in everything happens for a reason, but you may have a point. After more than a year in a Marine rifle company, I received a fleet appointment to the Naval Academy in 1963. After a year at the prep school in Bainbridge, I quit the Academy halfway through my Plebe year because I thought the place was a joke and felt like a fish out of water; I was immediately reverted to enlisted status and found myself in Vietnam several months later. Unlucky? Not by a long shot. Out of the thirteen former enlisted Marine members in my class who graduated and became platoon leaders in Vietnam in 1969-1970, only five survived the war. I was lucky to get to Vietnam early enough to miss a lot of what those who followed had to face. I feel very fortunate.