In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.
Options

Free Credit Monitoring

HAIRYHAIRY Member Posts: 23,606
edited July 2006 in US Military Veteran Forum
So They Found The Laptop
Robert Maynard
On 29 June, VA Secretary Jim Nicholson told Congress that the laptop containing the names and Social Security numbers of 26.5 million veterans was recovered. Shortly thereafter, the FBI said that there was "no evidence" that the data had been copied or misused.

Tell that to Earl Laurie, USN (ret.) of Colorado Springs, Colorado.

"A few weeks after I got the letter from the VA telling me that my information may have been lost, someone tried to open two credit accounts in my name; one for $10,000 and another for $15,000. I've never had a problem before."

According to Javelin research, it takes an average of nearly nine months for victims of this kind of Identity theft to find out about the crime. More than 25% don't find out for two years or more. How did Laurie find out so quickly? "I saw a news program talking about this company called LifeLock. They said that they could stop the crime before it affected me. I enrolled with them the next day and it worked just like they said it would."

Had he purchased credit monitoring, Laurie would have found out only after the accounts were opened. However, by then the damage would have been done.

"We started LifeLock on the premise that it is better to stop the crime in the first place rather than discover it later," said Robert Maynard, a veteran himself, co-Founder and primary architect of the LifeLock System. "Regardless of whether this man's personal information was compromised by the VA, if not, it is a startling coincidence, or some other third party, what it proves is that 'an ounce of prevention is worth a pound of cure."

"I am on 100% disability. Going through the fight of reclaiming my identity would have been a big problem," said Laurie. "I recommend that every man, woman and child with a name worth protecting signup for LifeLock today."

The LifeLock system is guaranteed to work up to $1 million. "My Social Security Number is 457-55-5462" says Todd Davis, co-Founder and Chief Executive Officer of LifeLock. "Go ask the CEO's of the other so-called identity protection companies for theirs. I've never heard of anyone doing it. That should tell you something about their faith in their service."

Based in Chandler, AZ, LifeLock offers Veterans, active duty personnel and their families a free, no obligation 90-day trial and a reduced rate for the service for life. To learn more about the company, go to lifelock.com.