In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.
Options

Intrested in tunnels in vietnam

KrinkovManKrinkovMan Member Posts: 1,192 ✭✭✭✭✭
edited July 2006 in US Military Veteran Forum
Just wondering if any of you got to explore the tunnels the gooks made. I am not a vietnam vet but have watched and read alot on the war. If so what were they like and how would you flush them out? From what ive seen they had like underground offices and sleeping places did you guys ever get to explore anyhting like this. What weapon would be sutible for exploring the tunnels like a small machine gun or a little pistol. Im very intrested and would like to hear some stories IF YOU DONT MIND. I dont wana offend any vets so please let me kno if any of my qustions offend you guys.

Comments

• Options
    hicap47hicap47 Member Posts: 516 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Get a copy of 'The Tunnels of Cu Chi' by Tom Mangold......
  • Options
    Ray BRay B Member Posts: 11,822
    edited November -1
    I've seen documentaries on TV about the Cu Chi tunnel complex and some of the other systems, primarily in the southern part of south Vietnam. They were quite extensive and were more underground city than tunnel.

I was farther north and the tunnels we dealt with were tunnels. Around Danang the tunnels were generally dug so that the VC/NVA that had taken over a village would have a route of escape when the US came looking for them. A lot of time the tunnel would go from a shanty in the village to a nearby stream, where it would enter below the waterline, so a bunch of people could slip away without being seen.

Further north, tunneling was used in attempts to get past the concertina, Claymores, and hostile fire in seeking to over-run a position. It is unknown just how many VC/NVA died during the effort to gain access to Khe Sanh. When it became aparent what was happening, B52s were called and dropped tons of bombs on the outer edge of the perimeter, collapsing the tunnels, which led to the withdrawal of the NVA troops back to NVN to reorganize.