In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.
Options

IL V.N. Veterans Org. Legit?

tapwatertapwater Member Posts: 10,335 ✭✭✭
edited August 2006 in US Military Veteran Forum
...I get solicited by every Vet, Police and Fire organization out there. I try to give to those that I can determine are legit. They always want me to pledge a certain amount over the phone, which I refuse to do. I tell them to mail the info, and then I'll decide. The mail from Illinois Vietnam Veterans is not much more than an invoice, with no info about who they are or what they do.

...Their mailing address is in Hoffman Estates IL. They don't even list a web address. Anyone know anything about them? ....Thanks

Comments

• Options
    dheffleydheffley Member Posts: 25,000
    edited November -1
    I don't know anything about them, but if you can't find the information, don't give them the money. I saw a program on either 60 Minutes or 20/20 a year or so ago about a guy who was running just such a program. Seems he was collecting around $900,000.00 a year and had spent less than $50,000.00 on anything for veterans. The rest either went into his pocket as wadges or was used to pay for the house and car that "his" organization furnished for him. He had one employee working for him part time, a secretary. Other than that, he just requested donations.[V]