In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.
Options

cure for skittishness

PATBUZZARDPATBUZZARD Member Posts: 3,556
edited August 2006 in US Military Veteran Forum
Well I have a confession to make-- I am still skittish. I hae been at the range many days, and have been fine around weapons going off. Yesterday I was with the 126 Army band in the memorial day events in grand rapids. The band formation was directly across from the rifle honor guard. The honor guard consisted of some yankee infantry (re-enactors) armed with muskets. When it came time for the 21 gun salute, they were aimed right over our heads, albeit about 50 yards away. I knew it was coming, I knew what to expect, but when those muskets went off I dang near jumped out of my shoes. I landed just intime to lift off again at the second barrage. I finally landed and regained controll of my dignity, which wasn't easy considering I was supposed to be at attention. No one said anything to me but I felt quite sheepish. So I ask what if anything can be done to cure me of this skittishness?

Comments

• Options
    Patriots sonPatriots son Member Posts: 915 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I went Knobb Creek Machine gun shoot with a buddy that had gotten back from Iraq, a few months earler. The 1st day was rough, we were about 1/2 mi. from the range, at our camp, but between the mortars and the bad weather, he was pretty skittish. we spent a lot of time at the range Fri, and Sat. by the night fire on Sat. he didn't even twitch. I think instinct is to REACT, once you (your subconcious)realizes that your not taking fire, you will not even blink. Thanks for your service!! Daniel
  • Options
    Ray BRay B Member Posts: 11,822
    edited November -1
    Response to stimuli is a learned reaction, in yhour case it was learned as a way of staying alive. As with any learned information, it can be unlearned. Basically what needs to be done is expose yourself to the troubling stimuli in situations where you are safe and need no response. Gradually your body will learn that such things as the sonic snap of a bullet going over your head is okay, and the reaction will subside. It won't happen overnight, but the more the safety is reenforced, the more the reaction will decrease.
  • Options
    Smoky14Smoky14 Member Posts: 531 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Gradually your body will learn that such things as the sonic snap of a bullet going over your head is okay, and the reaction will subside

NOT trying to be contentous, but I will never get use to the "sonic snap" going past my head. Was out for a hike just last momth and when the snap came I hit the dirt; friendly fire kills just as dead.
  • Options
    MobuckMobuck Member Posts: 13,788 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Still try to crawl under a rock occasionally. Not all the time but just when something goes off when I'm not expecting it.
  • Options
    dheffleydheffley Member Posts: 25,000
    edited November -1
    Give it time. If that doesn't do it, force yourself to be around gunfire more and retrain yourself to twitch control!