In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.
Options

A Grateful American's "Thank You"

Slow_HandSlow_Hand Member Posts: 2,835
edited September 2006 in US Military Veteran Forum
To every man and woman who served our Country in the armed forces during the Viet Nam War, I offer my virtual handshake and a very big "Thank You" for the sacrifices you and your families made.

To the families and friends of those who gave their lives in this war, know that it was NOT in vain. Theirs was a noble fight, no matter the politics or sentiments of that time.

I was a college student back then and also a cadet in ROTC for one year. My status was 1H with a high lottery number in the draft and so, as fate decreed, I was one of the luckier ones.

I never had the privilege of serving our Nation in the armed forces and I know that those of you who managed to come back home from Viet Nam home did so without recognition, praise, approval or a well-deserved heroes' welcome.

Many of you left more than just a part of you there and to that I can offer little if any consolation. You all did what you had to do and you did so without question.

I pray that the apathy and ambivalence our Viet Nam heroes have experienced in the decades since will never ever happen in our Country again.

Thank you.

God bless you all. God bless America.

Comments

• Options
    jocko007jocko007 Member Posts: 81 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    Thank you USMC 1969-1973 Viet Vet
  • Options
    joeaf1911a1joeaf1911a1 Member Posts: 2,962 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    " I know that those of you who managed to come back home from Viet Nam home did so without recognition, praise, approval or a well-deserved heroes' welcome.".. So what else in new. When I returned from the ETO
    after wars end the garbage was first taken off the ship, then we finally
    got off. No band, no welcome, no coffee or dougnuts, just a troop train
    to Camp Kilmer for discharge. Returning vets "got old" to the public in
    a hurry. Seemed like they wished we would stop reurning. But we didnt
    care, we were back home after years of being away. Nothing is new.
  • Options
    Ray BRay B Member Posts: 11,822
    edited November -1
    Joe- I think this somewhat parallels the trend toward disposable things- once they have served their purpose they are discarded- be it TVs, Computers or tires and razor blades. People that use guns tend to be of another trend- that of keeping what one has and keeping it in good repair. So I'd expect someone that appreciates the workmanship in a firearm to also be more appreciative of the service provided by the vets, than a use it and toss it clown.
  • Options
    joeaf1911a1joeaf1911a1 Member Posts: 2,962 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    RayB: "keeping what one has and keeping it in good repair. So I'd expect someone that appreciates the workmanship in a firearm to also be more appreciative of the service provided by the vets, than a use it and toss it clown." RayB, please inform me of your meaning in this, I dont
    understand your meaning. Joe
  • Options
    Ray BRay B Member Posts: 11,822
    edited November -1
    Joe- what is was saying was that a lot of the younger generation- people under age 40, that I meet have some basic differences from the people over age 40- one of these differences that is common is, at least with the ones that I know, a general disregard for a long term viewpoint. Most of the electronics they buy are outdated within a few years. they get a game machine; in a few years a better game machine comes along, so the old one is thrown away, and a new one purchased; only to be thrown away in a few years when a better one is purchased. As such, there is more of a tendancy to treat people with this same mindset- when someone is no longer providing services, then that person is sent packing; so when veterans are done with their tour(s) of duty, the mindset would be to discount them as no longer valued.

This is in contrast to people I know that collect or use guns, particularly those with interest is guns like the older Winchesters, Double barrel shotguns, primitive guns, older cars, etc- such interest shows a value of long term thinking and appreciation for things even after something newer, bigger or faster has come along. And such a mindset would be more likely to view a veteran as a valued member of society, even though the "productive" years may be behind him.
  • Options
    RugersforMeRugersforMe Member Posts: 25 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    RayB,

VERY , VERY WELL PUT!!!!! I totally agree with your statements about the "disposable society" we live in now.
    Jeff
  • Options
    Marine 0331Marine 0331 Member Posts: 3 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    I have to comment to Joe. Sorry if i step on some toes

Here in my home town after 10 or so years of being out I decided to join the American Legion after I was approached by a member at a wallmart. One of the first thing I felt was that most if not all older vets mainly WW2 despised us and wanted nothing to do with us. That actually broke my heart at the time. Seems like they were always saying we were cry babies wanting something. After a stint as first Vice commander, they wanted me to get younger members, I finally said to hell with it Joined the VVA and finnally said tohell withthat too. Too many wannabes and liars. Ck out the web site of my old chapter and see the #1 wannabe Archie Launey he was so good he fooled a lot of people. www.vva348.com I think is the site or do a search for vva348. anyway welcome home brothers Semper Fidelis