In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.

What's VA up to now???

nearwolfnearwolf Member Posts: 9 ✭✭
edited October 2006 in US Military Veteran Forum
The last couple of times I've been in to the VAMC in Iowa City, one of the questions they're asking is "were you actually in-country" and when I answered, they made some sort of notation in my file. I asked and the basic gist is they're trying to cull the "Vietnam Era" vets into in country and not in country for their computer system. Anyone know what they're up to now?

Comments

• Ray BRay B Member Posts: 11,822
    edited November -1
    Don't know if it's related, but awhile back there was a decision involving veterans considered Vietnam Vets, that didn't "set foot" on Vietnamese soil. In this group were the brown river navy that operated from ships at anchor, cruising the rivers, then returning to the ships, without getting out of the boats; also included were flight crews that flew over Vietnam, but flew from carriers or out of country bases. Seems some of those were not considered Vietnam Vets, but were only Vietnam Era Vets; so there is some jockeying regarding who is eligible for disabilities related to such things as exposure to the various pesticides.
  • nearwolfnearwolf Member Posts: 9 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    I get really upset about the 'brown water' navy distinction. When in the delta we often were inserted/extracted by PBR's and there was no difference at all between being on the ground and on the water. Those boat guys never hesitated to slug their way in if we needed them.
    I've been reading over my Dr.'s shoulders while they do their computer thing and I've seen the phrase "combat service connected" pop up.... don't think I've ever seen that one before. I know this may sound paranoid but you don't suppose VA's getting ready to screw someone, do ya'?
  • bobskibobski Member Posts: 17,868 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    'service connected' has always been a basis for care at VA. it classifies you in 1 of 8 catagories.
    Retired Naval Aviation
    Former Member U.S. Navy Shooting Team
    Former NSSA All American
    Navy Distinguished Pistol Shot
    MO, CT, VA.
  • nearwolfnearwolf Member Posts: 9 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    Yes, Bobski, but where it used to simply say "service connected" they've now added 'combat'. Perhaps it makes no difference or is just a glitch but I've been dealing with VA so long it makes me nervous when something new crops up.
  • bobskibobski Member Posts: 17,868 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    i think its because of the new influx of wounded coming in, they are going to make a new catagory of care/classification. those in combat may get head of the line over service connected, you know, the guys that have injuries from being shot and blown up, rather than the ones who were lifting heavy objects the day before we got out and tweeked our backs...and put it on the check out form for VA to record as service connected.[:I][;)]
    also too, if i remember right, a combat wound is automatic 50%, and if its disabling, its 100%. and thats a lot of free college and computers. thus, im sure they want to track it closely.
    Retired Naval Aviation
    Former Member U.S. Navy Shooting Team
    Former NSSA All American
    Navy Distinguished Pistol Shot
    MO, CT, VA.