In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.
Options

What do you do for fun??

Ray BRay B Member Posts: 11,822
edited January 2007 in US Military Veteran Forum
My VA counselor noted that for all of my life I have been very task oriented and that now that I'm less than two years from retirement that it would be healthy if I would develop some interests in activities that I consider fun and it would be better if they involved either my wife or other friends. I used to like hunting but after hunting people there isn't joy in shooting animals. I do like to shoot targets and clay pigeons but when I shoot in a group there is always comparison and the inevitable competition, which I dislike. So anyone have any suggestions or things that are fun for you?

Comments

• Options
    Smoky14Smoky14 Member Posts: 531 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    RSVP Retired Senior Volunteer Program. There are many things you can get into which will keep your mind busy and help keep you civil.
    I turned into a hermit until my wife got me out and helping others.

Smokt the mental
  • Options
    woodshermitwoodshermit Member Posts: 2,589
    edited November -1
    It seems like quite a few vets become hermits during some period of their lives. This trend towards hermitcy may or may not be directly related to military service, but, it certainly seems that way.

For fun, I like gardening, tending to my woodlot, sporting antiques, and, usually, this forum.

Whatever you do, stay physically active.
  • Options
    BulletbuttBulletbutt Member Posts: 25 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    I love to shoot and reload, but not so much reloading in recent years. I relate to what you said 100%, and I find I enjoy being alone in the woods and shooting by myself (never did mind doing things w/o other people around)is the one thing I never got tired of. Pretty much quit fishing, sold my last boat thirteen years ago; but still buy and shoot rifles.
    I also finally found a wonderful wife that I love very much, and enjoy time with her...but she's not a hobby...ha ha! Just go where you want to go and do what feels good to you. The best time spent is when you do something for some kid that may not even seem like he appreciates it. Good luck.
  • Options
    jlundy46jlundy46 Member Posts: 7 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    I too prefer things I can do alone. I shoot and do model railroading. I have recently become interested in collecting Colt revolvers. I have joined organizations over the years, but am not comfortable in large groups of people.

John
    Coastal Surveillance Force
    66-68
  • Options
    mopac1968mopac1968 Member Posts: 3 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    I am new to the forum but one thing I learned very quickly is that your posts are very well thought out and they are articulate(spell check).

My sugestion for a hobby is write a book. Subject matter would be your choosing. When book is finished let me know as I'll want a signed hard copy!

I was a REMF Nam67 staioned at Long Bihn? we were part of the 1st Logistal Command. We ran the filling staion and fuel depot behind it. 64th QM 512th QM Co Humper and Pumpers! The 173 Airborne at Bien Hoa? kept us out of harms way.

Welcome Home!
  • Options
    IronrifleIronrifle Member Posts: 664
    edited November -1
    I really enjoy going to gunshows! I`ve met some great people and made some decent trades. When they start to bore me, I`ll find somethng else.
  • Options
    hedgehopper62hedgehopper62 Member Posts: 636 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    ray B
    I have found that teaching my relitives how to shoot and fly fish is very relacking,I just started my dau. on fly fishing she was in 1st grade when i was in nam. tks. hedge