In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.

AC-47/ACH-47A

M1A1M1A1 Member Posts: 36 ✭✭
edited February 2007 in US Military Veteran Forum
Hello,

I would first off like to thank every one who served in Viet Nam. I was woundering if any one had any stories about the AC-47's or the ACH-47A's? Thank you very much!

M1A1[:)]

"Puff The Magic Dragon"

Comments

• Ray BRay B Member Posts: 11,822
    edited November -1
    I was with B/1/5 out in the sands near Hoi An and I hear what sounded like someone running a chainsaw wide open. I'm looking around at the brush, none of which is thicker than 1" in diameter, and I'm thinking to myself "who's running a chainsaw around here?" then I saw the stream of tracers and figured it out. Fortunately I hadn't asked anyone.[:)]
  • M1A1M1A1 Member Posts: 36 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    Thanks for the story!

M1A1
  • hedgehopper62hedgehopper62 Member Posts: 636 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    I have some still photo's of the AC-47 firing at night somewhere in my old storage.we had 2 puff's asigned to bien tuey,i had worked on them sometimes.i was assigned to the O1E.s but worked on all birds.the photos were taken from rooftop in canto.tks. hedge[:D]66-67
  • M1A1M1A1 Member Posts: 36 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    COOL! Thanks for the info! Thats pretty neat, from your point of view did they seem like reliable planes?
  • hedgehopper62hedgehopper62 Member Posts: 636 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    One of the most reiable planes, made first was around 1934 was the old DC3 or gooney bird as us oldtimers called them.i have worked on them since 1955.not much change better brakes and engines.tks hedge[:D]
  • bobskibobski Member Posts: 17,868 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    last i heard about 1,400 still existed worldwide.
    they still fly.
    made many a jump out of them. nice door to exit. no bending over.
    Retired Naval Aviation
    Former Member U.S. Navy Shooting Team
    Former NSSA All American
    Navy Distinguished Pistol Shot
    MO, CT, VA.