In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.

Greetings From The UK

SteveOSteveO Member Posts: 5 ✭✭
edited April 2007 in US Military Veteran Forum
Hello fellow posters,

Let me start by saying that i am lucky enough to have not have to endured what you guys had to thanks to the fact that i wasnt born untill 1977 and also the fact that i was born over the pond in England.

I stumbled across this forum whilst looking for more information about the vietnam war and the people who fought and served in it.

I hope you all dont find me posting this an invasion of your forums because believe me that is the last thing i intended it to be.

I am just an interested person who has found an active forum and thanks to the wonders of technology i have the opportunity to converse and read about peoples experiences even though they may be miles away!

hope you dont mind me hanging about and making the place look untidy as this forum has the opportunity to provide much more information than many books.

Thanks for taking the time to read this and i hope i havent sent you all to sleep with my ramblings!

SteveO

Comments

• dheffleydheffley Member Posts: 25,000
    edited November -1
    SteveO,

All folks are welcome here as long as they stay respectful to all veterans of all conflicts. We are willing to share our experiences, but not to someone who is going to try to use them to attack us for the politics of the war. We didn't declare the war or in a lot of cases, even agree with it. We were soldiers doing our duty and following orders. We have a special kinship with each other because we were in the position of being looked down on by many of our own countrymen when we returned home. Only a fellow soldier understood.

Again, welcome,

Danny
  • SteveOSteveO Member Posts: 5 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    I can sincerely promise that i will treat all with the utmost respect.

I have always had complete respect for anyone who feels so strongly about their country and way of life that they are prepared to put themselves in harms way to protect it by joining the armed forces.

I do understand that a lot of people who served in Vietnam didnt exactly have the option to say no but they still did their duty and served their time.

I always count myself lucky that i live in a country that has a "voluntary" armed force. I know that could change depending on the situation but i do believe that people who do volunteer to go to these places and see the kind of things that we could not begin to imagine should be treated with a lot more thanks and respect.

i am not in the forces but i work with a lot of elderly people in my job at the local hospital and i cant help thinking that these were the same poeople who lived through WW2 and went without so much so i could have so much freedom. Its upsetting sometimes to see how little help these people recieve now that they need it.

I really cannot understand why "Great" britain cannot afford in its position if 5th wealthiest country in the world to let these people who have done so much, live out the rest of their lives completely free from financial burden and with the dignity that they so richly deserve.

Sorry to talk about WW2 veterans in a Vietnam Veteran forum but these people are the only kind i know of and have experience of meeting.

Once again sorry to ramble on a bit.

SteveO