In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.
Options

Parris Island

br549br549 Member Posts: 1,024
edited May 2007 in US Military Veteran Forum
i arrived at Marine Corps Recuite Depot PARRIS Island 37 years ago at approx this time 11.40 PM May 4 1970. At 11:45 i already knew i was a maggot and lower than whale s%^t and had already gotten kicked hit and yelled at several times. figured out very quick i had screwed up.Just in time for new hatch of sand fleas.

Comments

• Options
    Ray BRay B Member Posts: 11,822
    edited November -1
    I was a Hollywood Marine got there May 15, 1967. A few years later I had to go to Parris Island for annual qualification with M14 & 1911. Both places were resorts.
  • Options
    edited November -1
    Ray, do you still have the sun glasses you were issued at SD?
  • Options
    Rack OpsRack Ops Member Posts: 18,597 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Two months from now will be 8 years since I stood on the yellow footprints

Semper Fi
  • Options
    lickcreekhomelickcreekhome Member Posts: 3 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    April 4,1966,At 2:30 am,i arrived at Parris Island,the little short corporal that met us on the bus,told us "if you are smoking" put them out!! if "you are chewing gum swallow it"!! what an experience,i wouldn't trade it for anything in this world!!
  • Options
    Ray BRay B Member Posts: 11,822
    edited November -1
    No, some little kid stole them along with my suntan oil, beach towel and lounge chair on one of our trips to the beach.
  • Options
    edited November -1
    Ray, that's too bad,you should have watched them more closely. all joking aside we Were told by our DI's ya'll were issued sunglasses. when i met Hollywood Marines some would get testy if they were asked about sunglases. i don't know why. all we ever got was mosquitoes,and sand fleas. i do remember the week we had night guard duty one of my DI's Sgt Rook started talking to me like i was human. It scared the heck out of me.