In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.
Options

THANKS!

mogley98mogley98 Member Posts: 18,297 ✭✭✭✭
Thanks to all veterans
Why don't we go to school and work on the weekends and take the week off!

Comments

• Options
    Ba SardoBa Sardo Member Posts: 562 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    May I add my message of gratitude as well.

In a nation that is wealthy beyond measure, you chose to undertake a job whose financial compensation is inadequate at best.

In a nation that prizes freedom above all else, you chose a job that requires you to take and follow orders.

In a nation that does not draft people, you folks CHOSE to undertake a job that is often dangerous, and worst of all, thankless.

Thank you and God bless you from one citizen who appreciates everything you did.
  • Options
    River RatRiver Rat Member Posts: 9,022
    edited November -1
    Gentlemen, I had a pleasant experience last night. The Mrs. and I went to a local watering hole to dance a little. The band announced that there was a young man there who had just returned from Iraq, which generated a round of applause and a few whistles.

That got me to thinking a bit, how if there is one thing we can learn from Vietnam (there are many lessons we can learn, but this one's important), it's that those taking the risks must be appreciated and thanked. So I bought the kid a drink, shook his hand, and thanked him. I told him I'd been waiting 35 years to buy a drink for a young man who just got back from war.

I felt like an old man afterwards. He looked barely old enough to shave. But he's probably the same age I was in '72.

I urge everyone who reads this to keep an eye out for kids who just got back from the Sand Box. Buy them a drink, and tell them thanks. Prove that we are a little bit better, and a little bit smarter, than we were 35 years ago.
  • Options
    dheffleydheffley Member Posts: 25,000
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by River Rat
    Gentlemen, I had a pleasant experience last night. The Mrs. and I went to a local watering hole to dance a little. The band announced that there was a young man there who had just returned from Iraq, which generated a round of applause and a few whistles.

That got me to thinking a bit, how if there is one thing we can learn from Vietnam (there are many lessons we can learn, but this one's important), it's that those taking the risks must be appreciated and thanked. So I bought the kid a drink, shook his hand, and thanked him. I told him I'd been waiting 35 years to buy a drink for a young man who just got back from war.

I felt like an old man afterwards. He looked barely old enough to shave. But he's probably the same age I was in '72.

I urge everyone who reads this to keep an eye out for kids who just got back from the Sand Box. Buy them a drink, and tell them thanks. Prove that we are a little bit better, and a little bit smarter, than we were 35 years ago.

AMEN!
  • Options
    Ray BRay B Member Posts: 11,822
    edited November -1
    While I respect your motivation, starting or helping someone down the road to using alcohol as a problem solver is a point of concern. Given the circumstances it sounds appropriate, but it would be nice to follow-up the contact down the road to see if things are going well or if he needs assistance with some of the emotional problems that are part of the package.
  • Options
    River RatRiver Rat Member Posts: 9,022
    edited November -1
    Ray -- Your point is well taken, but this was ceremonial. I would never give someone a drink who thought he or she needed it to cope with something. Besides, flowers would have sent the wrong message.[:D]
  • Options
    11b6r11b6r Member Posts: 16,588 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Was at local watering hole to meet some old friends. Noticed youngster with cammies and patch I know from Iraq. Said welcome- just get home? Responded that he had been home a week, had another week of leave before returning. When I got back to my table, gave the waitress a $20, told her his next $20 was on me. She smiled, handed it back, said thanks, you're a good guy- but HIS money is no good here.
  • Options
    HandLoadHandLoad Member Posts: 15,998
    edited November -1
    I am Range Safety Officer at local Gun Club Range - Active Duty Military (or Police)pay nothing on My Watch!

Whenever I am out for Breakfast or Lunch, and I spy some Military types in Uniform, I buy their meals.

I like Military Folks - My Daddy was, I was, and my only child is right now in the USAF, in EGLIN AFB.
  • Options
    Lanark SixgunnerLanark Sixgunner Member Posts: 130 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    My thanks to all veterans also.

My thanks also to River Rat and 11b6r for their service and for the idea they gave me, from now on whenever I see a veteran or soldier at the bar I will buy them a drink and say THANKS.