In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.
Options

Vietnam Vet Questions

JoshF101JoshF101 Member Posts: 2 ✭✭
edited December 2007 in US Military Veteran Forum
Hello, my name is Joshua Farrel and I am currently studying the Vietnam War in my college U.S. History course. For this course I must write a research paper on the Vietnam War. I thought it would be interesting if my paper included some first hand evidence from the war. To make my paper that much more interesting, I was hoping you could answer a few of my questions so that I could include your responses in my paper.

1. What were you doing during the period of the Vietnam War? Were you drafted or did you enlist?
When did you serve and what did you think about the military services at that time?

2. At the time, what did you think about the United States' involvement in Vietnam? Why did you think the
U.S. was at war?

3. How did you feel about the draft? Was anyone close to you drafted?

4. While serving in the military, what did you understand your purpose to be? How do you now view your
service in Vietnam and the reasons for which you were sent?

5. Did your view of the war and the U.S. policy change as the war unfolded? Did any personal
experiences during the war years significantly shape your views? Have your views changed since the
war ended?

6. During the war years, did you believe that President Johnson and Secretary of Defense Robert
McNamara correctly analyzed the situation in Southeast Asia and pursued the appropriate course in
escalating war efforts? What do you think now?

7. What other memories from this period could you share?

8. What lessons for Americans today do you see in the Vietnam War experience?

If your could please answer these questions it would be very helpful. Thank you for your time!

-Joshua Farrel

Comments

• Options
    Ray BRay B Member Posts: 11,822
    edited November -1
    I'll answer a few of your questions, not all, but I'll point out a few things that the revisionists have omitted. First, I was in the USMC from Jan 67 - Jan 70. I was in VietNam from November 67 to December 68. I was primarily assigned to 11th Marines (artillery) but was sent on temporary basis to 5th Marines (Infantry), 1st Tanks, 1st Recon, Graves Registration, and a few others. I don't recall exactly what my conclusions were about the war in the 70s, but I can tell you what I think now, and it isn't really based on my experiences in the USMC as much as it is my observances of the world since that time.

I think Presidents Kennedy and Johnson had excellent opportunities to short-circuit the war. Even back to the peace agreement of 1919 that ended The Great War it was clear that the people of VietNam, French IndoChina it was called then, wanted to be independent and free of French occupation. I think the primary reason Ho sided with the Communists was that they were the only source of support that he could get. So if when President Johnson went to meet with Ho, instead of offering him what amounted to a bribe, that is millions of dollars for capital improvments in exchange for ceasing the endeavor to reunite VietNam, President Johnson would have included a plan for reunification of the country, elections for government positions, which Ho would have undoubtedly won, and the promise from Ho to keep trade and communication open with the Free World, while discontinuing their militant endeavors (unneeded because the country was reunited), I think Ho would have accepted and the whole problem could have been avoided. My experience with the VietNamese people was that they were primarily indifferent as ato what the form of government was, as long as they were left alone to grow their rice.

However, that was not the route that was taken. Media presented a picture of losing in VietNam, when they should have shown just how successful the US was. During the course of the war abut 60,000 Americans died. During that time estimates range from over 1 million to 4 million North VietNamese and VietCong died. Estimates of wounded run well into millions. Additionally, the GNP of VietNam was so entirely diverted to the war effort, that just in the last few years, a full generation after the war his VietNam finally getting back on track with it's economy.

Secondly, in 1973 there was a peace agreement that ended American involvment in the war. The NorthVietNamese agreed to leave SouthVietNam alone. The Americans promised to leave. The Americans kept their promise by leaving, the NorthVietNamese broke their promis by attacking SouthVietNam as soon as their armies had regained combat effectiveness.

The impression that America lost the war in VietNam is incorrect. During America's involvment, regardless of the efforts of the Communist Bloc countries, South VietNam remained a democracy, a corrupt one though it was, and the Communists lost every major battle they were involved with, particularly as shown by the casualty figures.

That said, The underlying problem was the confrontation between the Communists and the Free World. For fifty years USSR, then China were poised to spread their form of government across the globe. It was destined that there would be a showdown. Instead of having a nuclear exchange and ending life as we know it on the planet, the showdown was in VietNam, and finalized in Afghanistan. The result of those two actions was that the financial solvency of the Communist Bloc went into bankruptcy.

Because of the sacrifices of those 60,000 Americans as well as all the others affected by the war, the world is a better place today than it would have been had Presidet Johnson and Ho decided that the showdown would be somewhere else.
  • Options
    River RatRiver Rat Member Posts: 9,022
    edited November -1
    Your questions appear well-intentioned, but I just don't have the energy to jump in. Instead I'll just say that we grew up in the shadow of World War II, and to understand Vietnam you must understand how Americans felt about WW II.

The draft seemed normal do us. If your number was low (mine was 12), you were screwed -- luck of the draw. I joined the Navy before I could be called.

I came away with a profound, lifetime desire to learn why young Americans will fight and die. It has made me a student of military history, the Constitution, and American history. It has also made me a devout Christian, a political conservative, and a devoted voter. I vote, fly a flag, write letters to the editor, and own guns because several young men who were with me were unable to return home and do those things. I never do them alone.

I regret that your questions did not cover those topics. Oh, and what did Vietnam teach us? These lessons are still being learned. It taiught the bad guys of the world that we could be worn down. It re-taught the truth that attitude is everything, and can carry the day or lose it. Napoleon learned this at Waterloo, Jackson knew it at New Orleans, so did the Spartans at Thermopylae. Attitude is everything. If you think you are losing, you have lost.

Another lesson: never let the Democrats run a war.
  • Options
    11b6r11b6r Member Posts: 16,588 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Enlisted. Some of my best friends (and brothers) were fellow service members that were drafted. Our govt was seeking a political solution, and not a military one. By micromanaging the miltary, the US Govt just about guaranteed poor results. We won the battles- the US lost the war in the news. Everyone that talks to you will have had varying experiences, views, and outlook on life. Robert Strange McNamara (emphasis on the Strange) thought war could be managed like a corporation- and was incapable of leading a squad of drunken soldiers to an orgy. Saw the creation of a sharp them vs us mentality between members of the military and the civilian population, created by the news media and the political left. Continues to this day with the sterotype of VietNam vets as mentally disturbed, drug abusing homeless babykillers. A number of the "spokesmen" for Viet vets have been shown to be outright fakes and frauds. Me- I would (and have) trust them with my life. Good luck w/ your project, and thanks for asking.
  • Options
    lpaalplpaalp Member Posts: 947 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Josh- Interesting questions; I'll give them a shot.

1. I dropped out of college and enlisted in the Army in 1964 (prior to the Viet Nam build up which began in 1965). I remained in the Army for 22 years, and probably thought military service was honorable, acceptable and expected.
    2. I thought the US was at war to aid an ally/friendly nation and stop the spread of communism (big thing at the time).
    3. The draft was simply part of life; I doubt I gave any thought to whether it was right or wrong, necessary, etc. It simply was, and all young men dealt with it (in a variety of ways). This before the lottery system was put into effect.
    4. I understood my purpose was to serve the national interests of the US, as determined by our government. Today, I don't have a problem with the reasons for US involvement - only with the way it was "managed". If the military had been allowed to fight and win, we would have - and the world would be a different and better place today, and America would be a stronger nation. The decision to fight is a serious one, but short term hindsight is not the way to handle a war. If the decision is made to go, then go, fight and win. Save the critiques for historians.
    5. My view of the war did change... its difficult to describe the many events / activities which occurred, and their impact... you kinda had to live thru it (or maybe study it, as you are?). However, my view of my duty (responsibility) as a soldier never changed. What bothered me the most was my perception that service members were viewed negatively by the civilian population. Later I realized that perception was based in a vocal minority - but, at the time, I was just a little wary of civilians.
    6. It was during that time that I realized that politicians make decisions based on personal interests and political considerations - not the national interest. A realization which is even more true today than then.
    7. Too many to list.
    8. Americans have learned the greatest possible lesson, and its visible every day: Criticize the war if you want and as is your right, but honor the service members who fight it. We probably learned this lesson because so many who now shape public opinion were denigrated during the Viet Nam era.

Just an editorial note: In this survey, I almost think you will have to divide responses into two categories: Those of us who were involved early ("old school", if you will) and those who were involved later, after the media, public opinion, etc, really began to criticize US involvement. Probably pre and post 1966?
  • Options
    River RatRiver Rat Member Posts: 9,022
    edited November -1
    Joshua, I think I'm ready to try your questions on for size. I agree with Ipaalp that the crucial focus of the Vietnam era was the early phase and late phase -- divided by the shift of public opinion. The difference is night and day. But I was a civilian and student during the first phase, and military during the second.

1. I enlisted in the Navy Reserve. My two years active duty included a year on an aircraft carrier, and a short stint on the Mekong River (no, NOT with the carrier!).

2. I was favorable to the U.S. involvement, and felt it was for honorable reasons (or as close to "honorable" as politics allow). My opinion has not changed, but rather has strengthened since then.

3. The draft was a fact of life. Some kids I knew were drafted, but must jumped in before they were called. More choices that way. That's what I did.

4. My job was to do my job. And to protect my country. And its allies. Same as my Dad in WWII, and his dad in WWI. My position has not changed since.

5. Nothing during the war changed how I felt. Except that to see young men die for something is both saddening and galvanizing. I have been a lifelong student of patriotism ever since.

6. At the time, I couldn't have cared less about the politics in Washington. Thirty-five years later, I see wisdom in that position. I am a student of history, but have little desire to turn over political rocks from the 60s and 70s to see what is crawling under there.

7. Lunacy. Professionalism. Despair. The unbelievable materials and human waste of a well-funded war. Pride. It was sad and funny, at the same time. Today, I encourage young men and women to join the military. I am glad I did, even though I briefly stumbled into a war.

8. The true lessons are found in the consequences of our retreat. Do not turn your back on your troops or your allies. It will empower your enemies, and your future enemies. We are having to deal with that now. Without Vietnam's failure, Osama bin Laden would never have felt 9-11 would cow the American people. Exactly the same reason Japan attacked Pearl Harbor. Deja vu, Baby.
  • Options
    00Z5S00Z5S Member Posts: 4 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    In response to Question #6:

"During the war years, did you believe that President Johnson and Secretary of Defense Robert McNamara correctly analyzed the situation in Southeast Asia and pursued the appropriate course in
    escalating war efforts? What do you think now?"

I was career military, 30+ years, and served in RVN with Det A-322, 5th Special Forces Group.

The principal error with the political machinations regarding Vietnam was that we were never told, "Go win!"

On far too many occasions while SF Teams were operating in Laos or Cambodia it was practically impossible to get any TAC air support when your butt was in a crack. I haven't a clue how far up the chain of command requests for support had to go but, when you're in dire straits, any delay can seem like a lifetime. In too many cases that's what it amounted to. I have a long list of friends who were KIA, Body Not Recovered.

There was entirely too much micromanagement of military operations by civilians back in DC who hadn't even the foggiest of notions about things military. An example: My SF Camp at Katum in northernmost Tay Ninh Province, was constantly mortared and rocketed by the bad guys across the border over in Cambodia. We were absolutely, positively forbidden to return fire. (But we did it anyhow much to the displeasure of the Chairborne Trooper Weenies back in Saigon and the civilians in Washington. Our opinion of that restriction was "If you don't want me to shoot back, then you bring your sorry fanny out here and attend our 105mm howitzers and Four Deuce mortar to keep me from shooting back!")

There was also an excessive amount of micromanagement from our military higher-ups. I absolutely hated to have a Command & Control helicopter show up over an engagement with the bad guys. Some weenie sitting up there 3500 feet above the action telling me what to do and how to do it. I'd usually tell the person giving me all this unneccessary "guidance" to "Bring your butt on down so you can see what's going on up close and personal". Then I'd turn the radio off.

My two cents. (Your opinion and mileage may vary.)

Special Forces Losses in Southeast Asia
    http://www.sfahq.com/reg
  • Options
    helimanheliman Member Posts: 597 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I will not answer all questions, just a few. First of all, I was drafted, but threw away my notice, waited a week and then enlisted. If I had to serve, it was going to be on my terms. I joined the
    Navy in February, 1968. The war was on the news every day and I thought it was a hopeless quagmire and we were not going to have the persistance required for a successful outcome. It saddened me to see the wasted lives given up daily over there. I think the draft was unfair to the disadvantaged and uneducated young men of our country. Don't get me wrong, I supported and still do support our soldiers,airmen and sailors who served during that war. I served to cruises in the Tonkin gulf on an aircraft carrier and was proud of my service. Now, did we learn anyting from our involvement in that war? No. What do you think would be happening now in our country if the draft was as it was in 1968? Can you say "deja vu"? In 1968, we were trying to "stem the tide of communism", in 2007 we are buried in a conflict we had no business getting into. In my opinion we have not lost a bit of our arrogance and the beat goes on.....
  • Options
    navyeodnavyeod Member Posts: 2 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    RAY B, excellent accessment. Good read for the college student was "a bright shining lie". Best book I have found on how we got into that mess to begin with. Ray B, I think, is right on about what was accomplished. [:D][:D][:D]