In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.
Options

Army Ranger passes on...

11echo11echo Member Posts: 1,007 ✭✭
edited January 2008 in US Military Veteran Forum
Well ran into some sad news yesterday! I heard my best friend Doug Rose died! He was suppose to have Thanksgiving dinner with us and he called on Saturday to tell me he couldn't make it. I laughed and told him he already missed it because it was on Thursday! ...And that now he was in "dutch" with the wife!*G*
Doug was kind of a character, ex-Army ranger with two tours in Viet Nam, awarded the Silver Star & 2 Purple Hearts. He was pretty proud of his service there. Also he is a veteran of the L.A.P.D. as an undercover drug officer and was wounded in the line of duty there as well. He trained with computers as part of his convailesants.
I first meant Doug in 90, he was a new hire and in a small engineering office where I worked. Doug was in a 2 man office, and I guess driving the other guy batty, so my boss came to me and asked if I won't mind being re-assigned to that room. I had heard he was ex-Army, as I was, so I thought I'd treat him just like I was in the Army .constantly poking fun at him and everybody! We be came fast friends. Doug was the proverbial "loose cannon", but he had an insight on people that always amazed me. I would always come to him to cry on his shoulder about problems I was having, and come away with good advice. He would be the first one I would run to fix my computer, and he would come to me to fix his car. I remember once staying up to 2:00am putting in a water pump in the old Oldsmobile he had! *G*
I'm still pretty numb about this, but I know I will miss him sorely! Sorry to dump this on you guys, but I learned along time ago dealing with my EX that a problem shared is a problem cut in half. And I could use alittle less stress in my life right now. Doug had some pretty interesting stories about Nam and else where, I shall share them at a later date.

Comments

• Options
    Gdt928Gdt928 Member Posts: 9 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    Sorry to hear about your loss. Especially at this time of year. Your friend sounded like a great guy.

Geoff
    1/505 & 1/508
    82nd Airborne Division
    72-76
  • Options
    br549br549 Member Posts: 1,024
    edited November -1
    i'm sorry about your friend.
  • Options
    Old GunnyOld Gunny Member Posts: 193 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    I had a good buddy from HS who was in 82nd. Airborne- l960-MIA in l967. Sorry to hear about your friend the Ranger- sounds like back in Civilian Life he also lived their Motto: Rangers Lead The Way. I served from l960 to l980, Hon. Discharged at LeJeune as E-8, but use the nickname "Old Gunny" I guess due to the USMC "Mail Call" TV program- and R. Lee Ermey was Hon. Discharged as am E-6- in the Corps, Gunny is an E-7, so I guess Lee and I somehow "split the difference. Was invited to the sniper program held at Ft. Benning this past late Oct. (2007) and ran into some Rangers I met at Quantico- Army sent them to us for the Scout/Sniper School just before I went TDY to LeJeune- great bunch of guys-Our Country should be proud of all who served, especially in the Special. units. Again, sorry to hear of your friend's untimely passing.
  • Options
    1trigger1trigger Member Posts: 62 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    We all respect the life that Ranger Rose lived, and it was him, and men who strive to be like him, that keep the bottom-feeders from gaining ground. He did more than his part to keep generations of children safe so they can grow, and learn, and be ready to step in to take his place when that time comes. The battle is never over. Give my deepest regards to Ranger Rose's family. RLW!

SFC S (retired)
    82nd Airborne Division
    2/75 Ranger Battalion
    1st Special Forces Group
  • Options
    dheffleydheffley Member Posts: 25,000
    edited November -1
    Salute to the Ranger!