In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.
Options

Guam USA

glynnm45glynnm45 Member Posts: 31 ✭✭
edited February 2008 in US Military Veteran Forum
In my other life I was a MOS 8483. Those that care to know, that is a(was a) Navy Hospital Corpsman-Operating Room Technician. I was in the Navy from 1965-1969. I was stationed in various Calif. duty stations for about two years for Class A & C schools before being stationed(emergency Orders) on Guam. Seems our Military must of known something was about to happen in Viet Nam because me and 5 other Corpsmen were sent to Guam to re-open 12 additional O.R.'s . This was just before the first TET. I and my crew took care of an endless stream of Marines sometimes just hours out of the field, working 16-20 hour days. In retrospect, some of the finest and most rewarding times I have had the privilege of experiencing. With great respect and admiration I salute each and everyone who made the sacrifice and served our country; from the beginning of this great nation until now. God Bless each and everyone of you.

Comments

• Options
    dheffleydheffley Member Posts: 25,000
    edited November -1
    As one who was blessed to have his life saved by a Naval Corpsman, I want to thank you for you service and brotherhood when I needed it most. I thank all who have served at any time in any capacity past and present, and hold in high regard all of those who accepted induction and served with honor.

The same respect goes forward to any who will serve this great nation in the future.
  • Options
    givettegivette Member Posts: 10,886
    edited November -1
    Hey, glynn: givette here. (HM8404). Field medical technican. Means, USMC grunt corpsman. Almost made it to be stationed in Guam, but I went to I corps instead. 3rd Marines/9th Marines. Came home, then went to IV corps (MILPHAP team N5). Odd, being in the Navy, and wearing USMC greens.

We had a three step procedure for corpsmen in country...
    1. Watch the medical/surgical procedure.
    2. Perform the procedure.
    3. Then start teaching the procedure.

Longshot: remember a candy-striper in USNH Guam named Lulu? She was about 17, or 18 at the time. Round-eyed father, Guamanian mother. Total knockout. If you can remember her, you win the prize. Best, Joe
  • Options
    glynnm45glynnm45 Member Posts: 31 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    I have a hard time remembering my own age, let alone a Candy Stripers name. The old "see one; do one; teach one" still works today; and in my opinion a great way to learn and teach. Before I went to Guam, I had orders to the 3rd MarDiv but they were cancelled and I was sent to Guam. Stranger yet, when I was in 8483 school in Oakland, I was set back one class because of duplicate orders from Corp school in San Diego. The original 8483 class, every single grad, was given orders to Vietnam right out of school. Not a member was assigned to a O.R. in country, they became 8404's. What a waste of training. I know they ALL were 8404 because I got to take care of a couple of them as patients on Guam. Sure a small world.