In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.
Options

Was the M60 undependable?

WorkingzombieWorkingzombie Member Posts: 235 ✭✭✭
edited March 2008 in US Military Veteran Forum
I've read some gun articles recently that stated the M60 MG
was trouble prone and unrelible in the field. Any vets here who
can comment on this weapon?

Comments

• Options
    Ray BRay B Member Posts: 11,822
    edited November -1
    I haven't read that, but that sort of thing is usually propogated by someone wanting to sell the govt a "new and improved" product. while my MOS was 0331, I did do a good deal of shooting the M60 and other than burning down the sear so that when the trigger was pressed, it would keep on shooting until it decided to stop (this was corrected by the armorer with a new trigger sear) the only problem I knew of anyone having with it was caused by guys that wanted to look like John Wayne with linked ammo wrapped around themselves. Doing so would sometimes cause a round to shift in its link and would result in a "long round", which would catch on the breach, stopping the gun from loading and firing the next round. To prevent this, most of the guys that I knew used what was called a "clip", nothing more than a little box that clipped onto the side of the gun and held 100 linked rounds. The bullets were kept nice and neat and no problems ever with the gun, and it was easier to carry a bunch of little boxes than to walk around like Pancho Villa.
  • Options
    DancesWithSheepDancesWithSheep Member Posts: 12,938 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I burned out more M60 barrels than I care to count. Never had a problem otherwise, either in Vietnam or firing BFA in field exercises. Where are these articles from and who wrote them? Sounds like more revisionist history a la M14 vs M16 to me.
  • Options
    edited November -1
    On proof reading my response I see that I left out a "not"; as in my MOS was NOT 0331; so before anyone gets worked-up about be claiming to be a super-grunt, please note that it was an error of omission rather than a premediated attempt to deceive. For the record, my MOS was 2531.
  • Options
    kimikimi Member Posts: 44,723 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    From the link http://www.foxco-2ndbn-9thmarines.com/new_page_27.htm

Early production runs of M60 machine guns were also very fragile, as some critical parts, such as the receiver cover and feed tray were made from very thin sheet metal stampings and very prone to becoming bent or broken; heavier parts were eventually forthcoming, after 1970. Early production M60s also had driving spring guides, and operating rods that were too skinny and gas pistons that were too narrow behind the piston head in an attempt to save weight; this made them very prone to bending and breakage (some suggested at the time that metallurgical problems also played a part, always a problem when weapons are made by the lowest bidder), but after 1970 a slightly heavier part was designed and slowly put into the supply chain. US Marines especially despised the M60 and in many units they held onto their BARs until 1967-68. Weight was reduced somewhat and reliability was improved slightly in the M60E3; the M60E3 variant was designed in the mid 1980s for the US Marine Corps. Users also complained about the quickly-overheating barrel. After approximately 200 rounds had been fired within one minute, the barrel had to be removed and replaced. Unfortunately, this occurred most often during combat situations. In order to replace the barrel, a crewman had to don heat-resistant asbestos mittens, further slowing down the process. In the M60E3 variant, this problem only got worse as the previous 200 rounds per minute limit was reduced to 100 rounds per minute due to the lighter barrel, though the M60E3's barrel has a wire and plastic handle near the breech end and can theoretically be changed safely without the asbestos mittens.
    What's next?
  • Options
    edited November -1
    Kim- I'm not sure if that is supposed to represent the opinions of actual members of F/2/9, but I have friends that were in 2/9 in 1966,67,68&69. None of them complained about the problems listed in the c&p. the loading/receiver cover is not moved except to load the gun, which is generally done in a calm situation, prior to leaving the compound or getting ready for a night on guard. I know no one that "donned the asbestos glove" except the armorer when changing the barrel out, which only took a few seconds, and fire discipline prevented firing 200 rounds in less than 60 seconds. So I would conclude that the posting is unreliable, not the gun.
  • Options
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by Ray B
    Kim- I'm not sure if that is supposed to represent the opinions of actual members of F/2/9, but I have friends that were in 2/9 in 1966,67,68&69. None of them complained about the problems listed in the c&p. the loading/receiver cover is not moved except to load the gun, which is generally done in a calm situation, prior to leaving the compound or getting ready for a night on guard. I know no one that "donned the asbestos glove" except the armorer when changing the barrel out, which only took a few seconds, and fire discipline prevented firing 200 rounds in less than 60 seconds. So I would conclude that the posting is unreliable, not the gun.

Hi Ray B. I do not know if the site is that of Fox members, either. There was, indeed, problems with the M-60, though, but I do not ever recall them being nearly as bad as that of the M-16. And, those notes in relation to the M-60 as listed on the link seem to ring-a-bell to some extent. Also, the note regarding that the Army never liked the M-60 is significant as well. I do believe that some of the dislike of the M-60 came from the change-over, and the machine gunners, and other old timers were fond of their old pieces, and did not particualrly like the familarization aspects the newer one presented. I'm sure that all of the problems with the M-60 are clearly documented and archived if one wants to do the research.

My days in the infantry ended in June of 1963. I was the 1st Squad Leader of the 2nd Paltoon in Mike 3/4 at the time. Our Company turned in their BARs and M1s in exchange for M14s in August of 1962. I did keep my M1 as this was allowed for Battalion Rifle Team members. Back then our T/0 machineguns were the old Browning 1919 (Light 30s). One of our machine gunners, Big John, stood 6'7 and weighed 235...he used a strap to carry his, and would fire it from the hip while on the move. He could run with the best carrying this big weapon, too, and I do mean run! [:)]
    What's next?
  • Options
    edited November -1
    This is a hoot. I was in F/2/9 for all but the first two weeks of my first tour. This is the first I've heard about all the "problems" we had with the M60. "US Marines especially despised the M60 and in many units they held onto their BARs until 1967-68"? This is a total crock. I went through ITR with the BAR and never saw it (or the M1 or the Browning 1919) ever again. The only BAR I saw in Vietnam was carried by ROKs and a cargo master on an Air America Caribou flight to Dong Ha. Odd that in a line company you didn't receive the M14 until August, 1962; I started boot camp in June, 1962, and was issued an M14 from the start.
  • Options
    edited November -1
    You could really have fun with whomever put the 2/9 site together, huh? I don't see what's odd about getting the M-14s in August of 1962. Is it odd that the Marine Corps issued you an M-14 in recruit training in June of 1962? The Marine Corps did not issue the M-14s to all of its units and training commands on the same day of the same month of the same year...or, if they did, would that be considered odd, too? When did you join Fox 2/9? Was it one of your first units?
    What's next?
  • Options
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by kimi
    You could really have fun with whomever put the 2/9 site together, huh? I don't see what's odd about getting the M-14s in August of 1962. Is it odd that the Marine Corps issued you an M-14 in recruit training in June of 1962? The Marine Corps did not issue the M-14s to all of its units and training commands on the same day of the same month of the same year...or, if they did, would that be considered odd, too? When did you join Fox 2/9? Was it one of your first units?

Another point to consider: In March of 1961 Marines leaving boot camp transfered with their M1 to their new duty stations. If this were the case when you graduated from boot camp, and I am not saying it was, then the fact that boots who began training with the M-14 in June of 1962, as you say you did, would not have to be FAMMED by the NCOs in their new units with a new weapon, nor would it present a logistical lash up for thousands of newbies having to exchange old weapons for newer ones at the battalion supply rooms.
    What's next?
  • Options
    buddybbuddyb Member Posts: 5,247 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    The only problems I saw with an M-60 were ones the gunner caused by overheating the barrel,but sometimes you had no choice.There may have been some problems with early models(I was in 70-71)but I never heard of them.I do remember our M-60 was manufactured by Saco-Lowell,a textile machery company.
  • Options
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by kimi

I think it is odd that recruits would get the M14 before regular line companies, especially when they then sent us through ITR with the M1. I was transferred from 1/9 to 2/9 in August 1965.
  • Options
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by buddyb
    The only problems I saw with an M-60 were ones the gunner caused by overheating the barrel,but sometimes you had no choice.There may have been some problems with early models(I was in 70-71)but I never heard of them.I do remember our M-60 was manufactured by Saco-Lowell,a textile machery company.

I was not around the M-60 in an infantry unit. And, I do not remember what the details of the problems with the M-60 were, but they did exist, one might have been the barrel problem as has been noted. I do not know. I do know they were corrected. This is my personal knowledge of the M-60 in relation to Workingzombie's query.
    What's next?
  • Options
    edited November -1
    A problem would be when the M60 has some characteristic that is less effective than some other system, which in this case is the Browning light 30. I don't know where he got it, but the Comm Top had a light 30 on a pole mount in the back of his PC. It's use was limited to whatever shooting was necessary from the truck. While the rate of fire was about the same as the M60, the barrel was heavier and would take a few more rounds to heat it up, but when it did get hot it was difficult to cool and changing out was not really an option, particularly since the new barrel required headspacing, which was done by counting clicks from tight. Improper headspace would result in a gun that either wouldn't fire, or wouldn't fire twice without clearing. So compared to the BL30 the M60 was much more portable, was designed to be carried and fired from offhand position, and when the barrel did heat up, it could be quickly and easily changed. Clearly the M60 was not the machined work of art that the Browning was, but in terms of combat effectiveness and firepower, the M60 would win on all counts.
  • Options
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by Ray B
    A problem would be when the M60 has some characteristic that is less effective than some other system, which in this case is the Browning light 30. I don't know where he got it, but the Comm Top had a light 30 on a pole mount in the back of his PC. It's use was limited to whatever shooting was necessary from the truck. While the rate of fire was about the same as the M60, the barrel was heavier and would take a few more rounds to heat it up, but when it did get hot it was difficult to cool and changing out was not really an option, particularly since the new barrel required headspacing, which was done by counting clicks from tight. Improper headspace would result in a gun that either wouldn't fire, or wouldn't fire twice without clearing. So compared to the BL30 the M60 was much more portable, was designed to be carried and fired from offhand position, and when the barrel did heat up, it could be quickly and easily changed. Clearly the M60 was not the machined work of art that the Browning was, but in terms of combat effectiveness and firepower, the M60 would win on all counts.

I agree with you Ray. On the whole, the M-60 was certainly an improvement over the light 30 due to its portability and other characteristics. It would be interesting to know, though, just how frequently the barrels of the light 30 needed to be changed out as compared to the M-60.
    What's next?
  • Options
    MIKE WISKEYMIKE WISKEY Member, Moderator Posts: 9,972 ******
    edited November -1
    "So I would conclude that the posting is unreliable, not the gun."... I'll agree with this. I was mos 45b20 (small arms repairman) and did 2 tours in Nam as well as Germany. Never had any problems with the m-60, the browning 30 was mostly used in fixed positions while the m-60 was more porable. both worked well. We had a lot of m-60's with 'barrel droop' but that was out of neccesity (barrels are cheap, lives anrn't).
  • Options
    11b6r11b6r Member Posts: 16,588 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Hmmm- Army, not Marine. Started using the M-60 in 1967. Problems I recall- installing the gas piston backwards makes it a single shot. An open link at the end of the belt could snag on the feed tray- locking up the gun. Our fix was a C-ration can slipped over the feed tray, giving a non-snaggable surface. Making like Pancho Villa wrapping belts around you gets them dirty. The hundred round assualt bag was a lot better. Barrels were lined with a material called Stellite- tougher than steel. Have gotten barrels hot enough that fired rounds were keyholing- starting to go sideways. If bipod legs are down, put the gun nose down on flash suppressor/ bipod legs, flip barrel lock, pull reciever back off the barrel, throw in the cold one, flip lock, continue to fire. Takes about 1.5 seconds. And we loved the 60.
  • Options
    Da-TankDa-Tank Member Posts: 4,074
    edited November -1
    Aman 11b6r!!!!!!!!!!
  • Options
    bobskibobski Member Posts: 17,868 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    i use to hate the 'failed to extract routine.'
    anyone ever fire one off with the gun open?
    Retired Naval Aviation
    Former Member U.S. Navy Shooting Team
    Former NSSA All American
    Navy Distinguished Pistol Shot
    MO, CT, VA.
  • Options
    Maddog26Maddog26 Member Posts: 4 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    We used the M60 on the UH-1C, UH-1D and UH-1H helicopters in our unit. The only problems we incountered was that on occasions a gun would jam due to bad ammo or improper cleaning of the gun after a mission. The changing of barrels was a bit tricky in the Charlie models but not in the Delta or H model. A proven weapon for air assault.
  • Options
    MIKE WISKEYMIKE WISKEY Member, Moderator Posts: 9,972 ******
    edited November -1
    "One of the biggest M60 critics is a guy named Peter G. Kokalis."... sounds like one of those "I ain't been there or done that, but..."
  • Options
    korsakovkorsakov Member Posts: 13 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    I was in boot camp and ITR in 1968 and was issued an M-14. I was in several helicopter units and we all had door guns that were M-60's and never had problems (except a little problematic changing barrels). I was also in a VMO unit that used 4 M-60's (two on each side) and never had problems either. I always laughed when a bird came back with the pilot complaining about jams to find the ammo boxes empty. The pilots were not even aware the guns had emptied and not jammed.
  • Options
    nc huntrnc huntr Member Posts: 11 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    The M-60 was a good friend and performed very well.
  • Options
    Marine 0331Marine 0331 Member Posts: 3 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    Semper Fi all

I loved the M-60 even tho I cussed the hell out of that 27 pound monster at times. Never hada problem with stoppages as long as I used a good dose of LSA to keep her going. Only problem Iever had was ONCE. The leaf spring that swiveled on one pin and latched on the other of the trigger housing group came off. Then the trigger housing group fell off my weapon. I dontthink I need to go intowhathappened next OFFICE HOURS for yours truly. In the end it was guessed or determined lol that the spring was either worn out or placed upside down. Did anyof yall ever have a leafspring problem while carrying the M-60?????
  • Options
    11b6r11b6r Member Posts: 16,588 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    IF the leaf spring that retained the trigger group was installed upside down, it WOULD fall off. When it fell off, the trigger group was no longer connected to the gun. You would sit there dumbfounded looking at the trigger group in your hand. You best drop it, and twist the belt to break it- otherwise the gun will fire until it runs out of ammo. And your friends around you will say unkind things about your momma![:p]
  • Options
    sarge_3adsarge_3ad Member Posts: 8,387 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    I too was a 45B Small Arms 1980 to 94. At first it seems like we replaced alot of op rods because the cam bearings would break, but soon after they came out with a new op rod which was heavier built, and seemed to take the problem away, for the most part. I think the biggest problem was operator headspace. They would switch gun crews so often that the gunners weren't as proficient or familiar with the weapon.
  • Options
    kraschenbirnkraschenbirn Member Posts: 70 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    Did two tours ('66-'68) as a Huey Crewchief with 1st Cav...on both C-model gunships and D/H-model slicks...and it wasn't at all unusual for two of us (myself and a gunner) to run 1000+ rounds each through our M-60s in a single sortie. We shot out a lot of barrels but I can recall only a handful of mechanical malfunctions that weren't ammunition or ammuntion-feed related. Of course, though, we had our own company-level ordinance shop and almost all of our aircrew had been formally trained/qualified on the M-60 (I, myself, had a secondary MOS in airborne weapons systems and, occasionally, worked with our armorer when I wasn't flying), so our guns were probably somewhat better maintained than the grunts' hardware...and they weren't being constantly humped through muck, mud, and sand, either!

After 'Nam, I finished out my enlistment with an aircraft weapons evaluation team at Ft. Bragg, NC where everyone...pilots and aircrew...had logged actual combat flight time. Neither in 'Nam nor at Bragg can I recall any serious (or repetitive) complaints about the M-60's reliability. Matter of fact, most of us were pretty damned pleased with it...except for one guy who'd done a tour in Europe with some sort of NATO combined forces group and felt the West German MG3 (an updated MG42) was the greatest thing since sliced bread!

All in all, so long as it was properly maintained, the M-60 in 'Nam was as solid and reliable a weapon as anything available at the time...and, at least, ten times as "dependable" as the M-16A1s we were saddled with as "secondary weapons."
  • Options
    SeattlefungusSeattlefungus Member Posts: 5 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    I was an 0331, fired tens of thounds or rounds... Can't think of many malfunctions that wern't of human orign. Like not keeping the burst aroung 5 to seven rounds. Barrel would glow orange and the rounds would cookoff. Then you'd yank the ammo belt to stop the cycle. The A-gunner would then have to change the barrel. Man could they smoke! Had to sit them on open ammo cans cause the spare barrel bag was rubber. You ownly made the mistake of putting the hot barrel on a barrel bag once!. As long as the gas piston was kept free of lube and the port plugs were properly safety wired. the real problem as mentiond before is not keeping the trigger housing leaf-spring in place... It should always be latched from the top, not slipped on the bottom of the retaining pins. In ITR I stared three fires at Camp Pendleton machinegun ranges. We used 50 gallon barrels for targets, at 400, 500, 600 & 700 meters. The 1 in 5 tracers could set fires by putting so many tracers in one beatten zone. Great fun. [:D]
  • Options
    Hot TunaHot Tuna Member Posts: 18 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    I had more troule with the ammo being to far up or down in the links. Whenever I had a chance I'd pull out the ammo out of the box and check it.
  • Options
    Laredo LeftyLaredo Lefty Member Posts: 13,451 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    This is me with mine near Kontum 1969. Never gave me any problems.

[img][/img]IMG_0006-4.jpg
  • Options
    30 Characters30 Characters Member Posts: 32
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by MIKE WISKEY
    "One of the biggest M60 critics is a guy named Peter G. Kokalis."... sounds like one of those "I ain't been there or done that, but..."

Kokalis is probably one of the most authoritive experts on small arms and automatic weapons around. The M60 was great, but it wasn't the best LMG....Other military forces had some mighty fine LMG.
  • Options
    overo88overo88 Member Posts: 26 ✭✭
    edited November -1
  • Options
    overo88overo88 Member Posts: 26 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    M-60, Great MG. Hot BBL, You bet, burn you good, Who needs accuracy when your spraying and praying, Lands and groove shot out? doesnt really matter! just keep that sucker going while we call in artillery and mortars and huey's. been there! hill 69 Chu-Lie, USMC 1966.
    M-14 questions.
    The USMC would/will not transfere you to new outfit with your weapon! you turn it in, draw another one.
    You shoot what you train with.
    Grinder close order was with the M-14.MCRD 1964
    Qualified with the M-14,
    Trained with M-14
    carried the M-14 in VN 65-66
    finished my 4years with the M-14 1968.
    I sure liked them. If it ever broke, it makes a hell of a club. you cant say that bout the AR's [:D]
  • Options
    Old GunnyOld Gunny Member Posts: 193 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    I did more work on weapons as a turtle (Rear Echelon Mister Foster) than I did as an basic 0311- all Marines are first 0311's- and worked on more sniper rifles (M-40's) than anything else- went through Diego (remember the gray bus ride from Lindberg Field and the yellow footprints on the gringer/) back in l960- when Boot was 19 weeks and we had the M-1. We turned ours in when we left for Pendleton ITR and were re-issued there-the USMC didn't really adopt the M-14 until around 1964- so the Gyrene who wrote that you shot what you trained with was "4-0". We had to qualify at Quantico Armory School on everything up to the Browning M-2 .50 cal. The M60 was based on the WW11 German MG-43, and to some extent its predecessor, the MG34- Perhaps some WW11 ETO history lesson will help here- The German Army used automatic fire as the key to assualt, with the riflemen (using 98K Mausers) in support, whereas our forces are basically just the opposite- the riflemen are in the main assualt squads with usually one automatic weapon (BAR- WW11 and Korea- M60 'Nam in support- except for a heavy weapons unit- with crew served weapons, such as mortars and the Browning Machine gun series-The two "weak points" on the M60, in mylimited experience, were the previously mentioned gas piston and front retaining assembly (which stainless steel lock wire cured- via a "field fix" and the easily reversed trigger/sear leaf retaining spring- going back to my beloved Garand for a minute- can you imagine what a * in combat that weapon would cause if there was a "right side up only" to the 8 round clip-instead of the design that lets you grab a fresh clip and insert (with the op rod held to avoid the "M-1 Thumb" us old salts remember. I would go with the l00 rd. assualt pack rather than the "John Wayne" linked frangible belts drapped over your shoulder-another previous message mentioned possible dirt and debris, also link rounds can rattle- The Stellite liner for the M-60 barrels were a great idea- as all auto weapons are basically a "spray and pray" if you "burn out a barrel" and your burts keyhole, so what-as long as you are firing live rounds toward the enemy, you are keeping him pinned down with suppresive fire, giving your squad/platoon/company members time to regroup and reload. As for the K-Mart committee designed (like the elephant) piece of crap M-16-someone once blogged here that Vietnam was "Micromanaged" by a bunch of bean counters- McNamara might have run Ford OK- but nobody should be Secretary of Defense unless he has:(1) Served in Combat
    (2) Received an Honorable Discharge (3) Received a Purple Heart- then and only then will he know what it is like to put our troops in Harm's Way- and to do that with "at the cheapest price for equipment" like we have seen since Korea is a courts-martial offense, in this old Gunny's opinion. I'm old school Corps, guess that shows, huh??
  • Options
    LuzoLuzo Member Posts: 1 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    This a long running thread, but I thought I would through in my two cents. Most of the short comings have been covered. One area of weakness was in the design of the receiver where a portion of it was pressed together (if I remember correctly). It would loosen up to the point that it had to be welded. The weld would eventually fail.

The feed mechanism was based on German WWII MG-42. It was pretty good and I thought the addition of the side tray, to hang soft pouches on, was a big improvement. The only time I had a problem was when I test fired a couple of hundred rounds that had been submerged in water inside a minigun ammo can (2000 round can if I remember correctly). Some of the links were so rusted that they had to be broken free. I remember really being impressed with how I was able to rip through the crap with only a couple of misfires.

It was heavy and could get tangled up in the "wait-a-minute" vines because of the design of the barrel and gas piston.

I shortened the weapon by cutting the barrel back, moving the gas piston back a couple of inches and then modified the operating rod, receiver and spring to accommodate the change. I used a metal or plastic boot (because of the buffer, I found the M60 very comfortable to fire from the shoulder even without the standard shoulder stock), from helicopter external M-60's and made a vertical foregrip (not shown in video because I was testing), because the standard grip would no longer fit as a result of the heavy modification. Very effective weapon and ended up being a tad shorter than AK-47. On the negative, because of the shorter barrel, it had a heck of a blast because of burning gases leaving the shortened barrel.

Sample video below:
    [url][/url]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jB3Nj1uBWnE

RVN 70 -71 Pleiku