In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.
Options

I LOVE ALL VIETNAM VETERANS

VetLoverSupporterVetLoverSupporter Member Posts: 5 ✭✭
edited March 2008 in US Military Veteran Forum
I'm 18 years old and just a couple months shy of heading off to boot camp via Marines. And I must say that for some odd reason I have a different and unique interest in the Vietnam war. I have read numerous biographies from Marine Sniper to A Field of Innocence. I cry and something about this war really grasps me by my emotions and sends me for a ride. I do watch some movies but prefer reading biographies & what not b/c they're not "hollywood".. I just wanted to say that i love each and every one of you and am VERY thankful for your service and for some reason feel disappointed at myself for not being born in an earlier lifetime so i could have served by your side. i love my country and theres something in me that i cannot control that regardless of what i think i want or need, i feel in the pit of my stomach that one day i will be disappointed if i didnt serve for my country. you guys might think i sound a bit soft but if i had the chance i would give each and every one of you a hug. i cant explain this feeling. but like i said i am going to be doing my part in a couple of months and could care less if i get sent over seas to fight i wish they would send me to the heart of the battle. i'm one of those people who could care less about the meaning of the war but when my country calls upon me to fight, i'm fighting without asking questions. i love my country and all the war veterans and last but not least all the soldiers who died for our country I LOVE AMERICA

Comments

• Options
    dheffleydheffley Member Posts: 25,000
    edited November -1
    Everyone here will tell you, war does things to you you can never change. Serve if you have the desire, but pray you can do it during peace time. We don't wish what we've seen for anyone.
  • Options
    VetLoverSupporterVetLoverSupporter Member Posts: 5 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    I understand, but not personally, the effects and after-shock of war. However, I support my country 100% and would be more than willing to fight for it - whatever the cause. I salute all veterans with the largest amount of respect possible.
  • Options
    Old GunnyOld Gunny Member Posts: 193 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    Writer Jim Harrison (a non-Vet)wrote legends of the fall- later made into a movie- Brad Pitt, Anthony Hopkins. In the book he mentions 19 as being the perfect age for a soldier, because you aren't afraid and think you will live forever. All Marines are first and last- Marines, whether you are a L/Cpl. or a Lt.Col. (and forget that Few Good Men Tom Cruise crapfest0 and we take care of our own- so thanks for deciding to serve with the Few and the Proud (and damn proud of it) and Our Country. May God see fit to keep you safe.
  • Options
    MMOMEQ-55MMOMEQ-55 Member Posts: 13,134
    edited November -1
    Good luck in bootcamp. Hope all goes well for you. My last platoon at PI, I graduated 47 out of 73 that started. Your whole world will soon change for the rest of your life. If you graduate you will have become one of the worlds finest fighting machines. A Marine.
  • Options
    lovesan.06lovesan.06 Member Posts: 1 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by VetLoverSupporter
    I'm 18 years old and just a couple months shy of heading off to boot camp via Marines. And I must say that for some odd reason I have a different and unique interest in the Vietnam war. I have read numerous biographies from Marine Sniper to A Field of Innocence. I cry and something about this war really grasps me by my emotions and sends me for a ride. I do watch some movies but prefer reading biographies & what not b/c they're not "hollywood".. I just wanted to say that i love each and every one of you and am VERY thankful for your service and for some reason feel disappointed at myself for not being born in an earlier lifetime so i could have served by your side. i love my country and theres something in me that i cannot control that regardless of what i think i want or need, i feel in the pit of my stomach that one day i will be disappointed if i didnt serve for my country. you guys might think i sound a bit soft but if i had the chance i would give each and every one of you a hug. i cant explain this feeling. but like i said i am going to be doing my part in a couple of months and could care less if i get sent over seas to fight i wish they would send me to the heart of the battle. i'm one of those people who could care less about the meaning of the war but when my country calls upon me to fight, i'm fighting without asking questions. i love my country and all the war veterans and last but not least all the soldiers who died for our country I LOVE AMERICA

thanks; glad to hear it!
    viet nam 68-69!
    bjr