In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.
Options

Nam vets burial rights

rcbsmanrcbsman Member Posts: 63 ✭✭
Got a good friend who is running out of time and I have promised him a military funeral and a plot at Arlington National Cemetetary in DC. Not sure how to go about doing this for another vet of that war we all still remeber. Know my friends and comrades in arms have got the answers on how to go about this so I'm ready when the time comes. He did 3 tours and ended up with a"section 8" honorable discharge, left his soul over there but his body came home. Was decorated for heroism which I won't get into right now. Am asking for help in this matter from fellow vet's or any one who knows how to go about this. It is a promise I made and intend to follow up on no matter what. Thanks rcbsman at gnightingale@cox.net

Comments

• Options
    Sky SoldierSky Soldier Member Posts: 460
    edited November -1
    Google Arlington Cemetary and surf around.
    The requirement info is there.
  • Options
    Spider7115Spider7115 Member, Moderator Posts: 29,714 ******
    edited November -1
    This link will tell you everything you wish to know. Good luck: http://www.arlingtoncemetery.org/funeral_information/index.html

A Guide to Burial at Arlington National Cemetery

Establishing Eligibility

Eligibility for Interment (Ground Burial)

The persons specified below are eligible for ground burial in Arlington National Cemetery. The last period of active duty of former members of the Armed Forces must have ended honorably. Interment may be casketed or cremated remains.

Any active duty member of the Armed Forces (except those members serving on active duty for training only).

Any veteran who is retired from active military service with the Armed Forces.

Any veteran who is retired from the Reserves is eligible upon reaching age 60 and drawing retired pay; and who served a period of active duty (other than for training).

Any former member of the Armed Forces separated honorably prior to October 1, 1949 for medical reasons and who was rated at 30% or greater disabled effective on the day of discharge.

Any former member of the Armed Forces who has been awarded one of the following decorations:
    Medal of Honor
    Distinguished Service Cross (Navy Cross or Air Force Cross)
    Distinguished Service Medal
    Silver Star
    Purple Heart

The President of the United States or any former President of the United States.

Any former member of the Armed Forces who served on active duty (other than for training) and who held any of the following positions:
    An elective office of the U.S. Government
    Office of the Chief Justice of the United States or of an Associate Justice of the Supreme Court of the United States.
    An office listed, at the time the person held the position, in 5 USC 5312 or 5313 (Levels I and II of the Executive Schedule).
    The chief of a mission who was at any time during his/her tenure classified in Class I under the provisions of Section 411, Act of 13 August 1946, 60 Stat. 1002, as amended (22 USC 866) or as listed in State Department memorandum dated March 21, 1988.
    Any former prisoner of war who, while a prisoner of war, served honorably in the active military, naval, or air service, whose last period of military, naval or air service terminated honorably and who died on or after November 30, 1993.

The spouse, widow or widower, minor child, or permanently dependent child, and certain unmarried adult children of any of the above eligible veterans.

The widow or widower of:
    a member of the Armed Forces who was lost or buried at sea or officially determined to be missing in action.
    a member of the Armed Forces who is interred in a US military cemetery overseas that is maintained by the American Battle Monuments Commission.
    a member of the Armed Forces who is interred in Arlington National Cemetery as part of a group burial.
    The surviving spouse, minor child, or permanently dependent child of any person already buried in Arlington National Cemetery.
    The parents of a minor child, or permanently dependent child whose remains, based on the eligibility of a parent, are already buried in ANC. A spouse divorced from the primary eligible, or widowed and remarried, is not eligible for interment.

Provided certain conditions are met, a former member of the Armed Forces may be buried in the same grave with a close relative who is already buried and is the primary eligible.
  • Options
    11echo11echo Member Posts: 1,007 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    As I heard it he'll need a Silver Star or higher to get into Arlington. Either or, Good Luck!
  • Options
    edited November -1
    Thanks to all who responded, his silver star was down graded to a bronze star since he was a warrant officer at the time his cobra was shot down in a flooded rice patty, came down top first and cut his way out of the plexiglass and swam over and got down and cut out his wounded copilot. Oh well poop I'm not giving up yet, surely there is some loophole [ although the rules don't look like there is] thanks to who sent them. rcbsman
  • Options
    edited November -1
    Good news for those interested in this subject. Did some background checking on my friend{without his knowlege] and found that he had two distinguished service medals w/ V for valor and two purple hearts, he doesn't talk much about his service in Nam as many who served there, have seen many posts regarding all the "Nam vets" who seem to pop out of the woodwork. As for me suffice to say I proudly served my country during the period of the "Vietnam era conflict" no war stories or bs to add to the story but my friend is one of the true heroes, if there were any, who has earned the right to a burial in Arlington National Cemetry and I shall see that it does happen if he passes on before me. Thnaks to all and much thanks to Spider 7115 for the info. Know what I need to get it done right thanks to all of you. rcbsman
  • Options
    roboatroboat Member Posts: 11 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by rcbsman
    Thanks to all who responded, his silver star was down graded to a bronze star since he was a warrant officer at the time his cobra was shot down in a flooded rice patty, came down top first and cut his way out of the plexiglass and swam over and got down and cut out his wounded copilot. Oh well poop I'm not giving up yet, surely there is some loophole [ although the rules don't look like there is] thanks to who sent them. rcbsman

Note that Purple Heart will qualify him, too.
    Even if nobody wrote him up, if he was injured AT ALL, he may be able to get the award if he doesn't have it.
    See a DAV advocate.
    Good luck.
  • Options
    roboatroboat Member Posts: 11 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by rcbsman
    Good news for those interested in this subject. Did some background checking on my friend{without his knowlege] and found that he had two distinguished service medals w/ V for valor and two purple hearts, he doesn't talk much about his service in Nam as many who served there, have seen many posts regarding all the "Nam vets" who seem to pop out of the woodwork. As for me suffice to say I proudly served my country during the period of the "Vietnam era conflict" no war stories or bs to add to the story but my friend is one of the true heroes, if there were any, who has earned the right to a burial in Arlington National Cemetry and I shall see that it does happen if he passes on before me. Thnaks to all and much thanks to Spider 7115 for the info. Know what I need to get it done right thanks to all of you. rcbsman

Sorry, I missed reading this post before I posted. That's great news, and you are a true friend for doing this. And btw, war stories or not, you served. Thank you.
  • Options
    edited November -1
    Thanks Roboat for your kind words and thanks to all who posted comments on "Nam Vet's Burial's" You fellow Vet's are special whether you served running a typewriter or were in the bush, matter's not to me but as Roboat said so well " you served" rcbsman signing off.