In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.
Options

Caps, t-shirts, bumper stickers

woodshermitwoodshermit Member Posts: 2,589
Does anyone here wear clothing, display bumper stickers, etc. declaring themselves a VN vet? I have mixed feelings about these displays. Interested to hear what folks think?

Comments

• Options
    dheffleydheffley Member Posts: 25,000
    edited November -1
    I do during war time. Like Gulf I, Gulf II, and Afganistain. It's my way of showing solidarity and support.
  • Options
    Da-TankDa-Tank Member Posts: 4,074
    edited November -1
    First got back I made a t shirt that said on the back" Dupont Agent Orange Test subject Nam '65-'68 Now I was mad back then. Now I'm just sort of disapointed by the treatment. I now wear a T with a large circle that says Disfunctional Vetran Has kilroy in the center with the Nam ribon. I am proud of my time and service. Proud I am of my fellow Vets. Proud of this country. (lived at least a year in 9 diff. countrys) NO country compares to USA.
    But we realy need to do something about the goverment. Don't change it, just the IDIOTS running it. As for a country for the people by the people, we sure don't have a lot of say any more.

My rant for today
    Check in tomarrow for more stupidity
  • Options
    BT3BT3 Member Posts: 1,913 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    A bummper sticker of the VSM ribbon with no writing. When you see one you know what it is. Don't need to say what it is but gets acknowledged by a toot of horn or nod. [8D]
  • Options
    divecopdivecop Member Posts: 778 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Had my Vietnam license plate on my truck for a long time. When I
    bought a new one, I thought it was maybe time to move on. But I miss
    it. Still have it in the garage.

The only other thing is on the back of my motocycle helmet I have
    a sticker that says VIETNAM VETERAN, under that one I have one that
    Says. POW-MIAs Bring them home or send us back.
  • Options
    br549br549 Member Posts: 1,024
    edited November -1
    i have a purple heart tag on my truck. that way i don't have to pay for the tag, just school taxes
  • Options
    NKPPhilNKPPhil Member Posts: 5 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    A few years ago when everybody started having Support the Troops bumper stickers, I decided to get a Veteran license plate and put a VSM sticker on my pickup. I was thinking sort of what dheffley said, to show solidarity and support. Well, I had some good conversations with vets who noticed the ribbon and introduced themselves. It was good to talk with people who knew what it was all about. That encouraged me to join the Vietnam Dog Handlers Association, and that's turned out to be a pretty active group. We do a lot for the K-9 troops in Iraq today, including understanding what they're going through, and sending them moral support, emails, packages, and some specialized equipment that Uncle Sam doesn't supply. They really appreciate everything, but especially the moral support. So I'm glad I finally got off my butt and "came out of the closet," it got me on the path to help out some of the guys and gals who are over there doing it today.
  • Options
    Ray BRay B Member Posts: 11,822
    edited November -1
    I don't wear anything particular to military service, but several in the support group that I attend do. Most common item is a hat, generally with service/medal ribbons attached; thosugh the best one was one that said: This vet medicated for your protection!
  • Options
    Smoky14Smoky14 Member Posts: 531 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Where do you get those hats, I've seen guys wear them but don't know where they come from.
  • Options
    edited November -1
    There's lots of good sources. Here are a couple good links, and you can find more with a Google search for whatever item you want.

http://www.soldiercity.com/

http://www.4armedforces.com/
  • Options
    edited November -1
    NKPPhil: Thanks for the links. Were you stationed at NKP? I worked there w/TFA for awhile. Remember landing on the old PSP runway, a real thrill in the rain.
    Smoky
  • Options
    alaska 207alaska 207 Member Posts: 16 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    I have a service ribbon on my bike windshield and a tatoo with an eagle. one of his wings has a service ribbon on it and the other has a pow flag.
  • Options
    edited November -1
    Hey Smokey! Yeah, I was at NKP in 1970 and 1971, in the 56th SPS "Nightfighter" K-9s. You must have been there a lot earlier,though, if the runway was still psp. I'll bet it was a thrill landing on that stuff, I've heard it called "slicker than snot on a doorknob." You'll get a memory blast out of the photo gallery at this link: http://www.pbase.com/635thk9/56th_sps

Welcome home, Brother!
  • Options
    edited November -1
    Hey Smokey! Yeah, I was at NKP in 1970 and 1971, in the 56th SPS "Nightfighter" K-9s. You must have been there a lot earlier,though, if the runway was still psp. I'll bet it was a thrill landing on that stuff, I've heard it called "slicker than snot on a doorknob." You'll get a memory blast out of the photo gallery at this link: http://www.pbase.com/635thk9/56th_sps

Welcome home, Brother!
  • Options
    edited November -1
    NKPPhil: I flew in there with Scatback 68-69 and was stationed there in 74-75 working with TFA and AM Air. We were flying to VN trying to close things down, not real fond memories. Took lots of missions with JCRC if you know who that was.
    Thanks for the link. Smoky
  • Options
    edited November -1
    I think I can safely speak for all vets in saying, Thank You for your work with JCRC. Anything you did with them has to be the most frustrating and exhausting and painful job, bit I don't know of anything more important.
  • Options
    jocko007jocko007 Member Posts: 81 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    I have my Disabled American Veteran Plates on my pickup, along with a sticker on the back window that says, Pxss on Jane Fonda. That's
    all.
  • Options
    givettegivette Member Posts: 10,886
    edited November -1
    I acquired a set of ribbons (like worn over left breast pocket) that has my fruit salad. Ordered it already mounted from medals of america online. When it came in, I took a look at it. My kid sister said she wanted it..so I gave them to her. Next morning, the medals were mounted on my dashboard, down near where the windshield is, in plain view to the casual observer. Now, I can't claim anything....but my traffic violations dropped to zero about the same time. Ya gotta hand it to kid sisters!! Wouldn't have thought to do it myself. The best to all, Joe (givette)
  • Options
    MemphisJim1MemphisJim1 Member Posts: 128 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Best T-shirt I ever saw had top line that read:
    "Participant - Southeast Asia War Games, 1961 -1972"
    Center was illustrations of soldiers in combat, Marines wading ashore, aircraft carrier at sea and Phantoms dropping napalm.
    Bottom line read: "Second Place."
    The guy wearing it was with his family at Disney World, as was I with mine. I got out of line but couldn't catch up with him before he got lost in the crowd. I wanted to know where he got the shirt. Like many, I'm sure, I've always felt we should have done it right or not at all. And all the young lieutenants and captains who learned those lessons and became generals in time for the Mideast engagements were run into retirement because politicians were determined to it "light," not necessarily right. To paraphrase Santana: Those who forget history are doomed to repeat it.

In-country, Mar. 67 through Apr. 68
  • Options
    MMOMEQ-55MMOMEQ-55 Member Posts: 13,134
    edited November -1
    To many fakes and wannabes out there so I don't wear anything. I know what I did and that is all I need to know. My owm kids are grown and have kids of their own and they don't even know what I did or where I was.

At this time of elections, I do have an urge to go out and get a t shirt with something on it like "How about a write in vote for Mickey Mouse"
  • Options
    Old-ColtsOld-Colts Member Posts: 22,700 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    During cooler weather I will occasionally wear my Utility Flight Jacket, or as I refer to it "My Patch Jacket". I also wear it every time I visit the USS Midway (CVA-41), the carrier my squadron (VAW-115) was assigned to.

If you can't feel the music; it's only pink noise!

• Options
    River RatRiver Rat Member Posts: 9,022
    edited November -1
    I am very proud of my involvement, but do not own such items. Do not want to appear to wear my veteran-ness on my sleeve. Also, my time in-country was much shorter than a standard tour and I don't want people to think I am taking the credit for a full tour. Would purchase and use the right product if I saw it.
  • Options
    River RatRiver Rat Member Posts: 9,022
    edited November -1
    Jocko -- where the heck do I get that "P*** on Jane Fonda" sticker? By God, THAT's the "right item" I just mentioned!
  • Options
    Jim RauJim Rau Member Posts: 3,550
    edited November -1
    Does getting a free purple heart license plate count???[8D]
  • Options
    BoskettiBosketti Member Posts: 1,090 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I never served in time of war and my service was for a very short period of time. I lied about asthma to get in and was discharged within a year. I don't advertise my attempt at service but I have done a lot of reading on a variety of military subjects and have noticed a number of wannabe's at truck stop counters. I would rather remain silent than be compared to the liars that never did anything. I can't say that I did anything myself, but not because I wasn't willing and didn't try.