In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.

Old company back fron Irag

CapnMidnightCapnMidnight Member Posts: 8,520
edited July 2008 in US Military Veteran Forum
Went to Ft Lewis yesterday(july 1) for a welcome home ceremony for the 4th Stryker Brigade, 2d Infantry Division, of which my old unit, the 2/1 Cav is part. Had lunch with the C.O.& CSM, got to welcome them home, talk about the sand box & Nam, different & alike. Came away with a real good feeling, good people doing a good job. Made me feel proud.
W.D.

Comments

• dheffleydheffley Member Posts: 25,000
    edited November -1
    I'm proud with ya'! These Kids aren't too much different than we were.[;)]
  • kimikimi Member Posts: 44,723 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    They do make you proud.
    What's next?
  • ElMuertoMonkeyElMuertoMonkey Member Posts: 12,898
    edited November -1
    Something I've noticed about Iraq/Afghanistan vets is that they are far less passionate (for want of a better term) than those of us back home whether or not we're for the war.

They're quiet professionals who aren't looking for fame, recognition, or even thanks. One guy I spoke to seemed like your average kid until he opened his mouth and then it was like having a history book read to you. It was amazing to hear some of the things he had to say.

I can only imagine what they and you guys went through in your respective wars. Yes, I can read about them and yes, I can hear about them from various sources, but I will never live them... at least I don't expect to.

Regardless, I've never regretted talking to a vet. Discussions with them always reach that certain level that make all other discussions seem almost trivial in comparison. And what's most amazing is that none of y'all act like stereotypical heroes or cowboys or "warriors" - if anything, having seen the worst humanity can offer, you represent the best.

For what it's worth, you all have my respect.