In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.
Options

Vietnam Vet Job Discrimination

krazyshotkrazyshot Member Posts: 334 ✭✭✭
You know, I could swear us Vietnam Vets have always had a hard time finding a job, seems like we have always and still are being discriminated against when we apply for a job. I've had to be out trying to find a job recently and it still seems that way. Any of the rest of you feel the same way?

Comments

• Options
    br549br549 Member Posts: 1,024
    edited November -1
    unless being in the military would give you extra points, don't tell an employer you were ever in VN. i do believe we are still looked on as war criminals, and that will never go away.
  • Options
    krazyshotkrazyshot Member Posts: 334 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I don't think it's a good idea to lie on an application, there is always a question if you are a veteran and what years you were in. If you say for instance 1969-70, they know for sure that was during the Vietnam war and you were more than likely over there. I wonder if the Gulf-Iraq veterens have the same problem, I bet they do.
  • Options
    woodshermitwoodshermit Member Posts: 2,589
    edited November -1
    At this point, it may be more of a question of age discrimination than anything else. Back in the day, maybe.

Could you be more specific and provide a few details as to why you feel this way?
  • Options
    tjrssbtjrssb Member Posts: 46 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    Never had a problem with employment, served in Quang-Tri Province all of 1969. Got a job with a law enforcement agency, retired after almost 30 years & still work for them part time. Many of the guys who joined law enforcement in the early 1970's, were Viet-Nam vets. Never heard one guy speak about any employment problems due to service in Viet-Nam. Like the other gent, you need to speak about specific incidents and be able to show proof that your V-N service somehow had a negative impact on your employment.
  • Options
    pttptt Member Posts: 39 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    When I returned from RVN in 1971 my previous employer gave me my old job back by law but didn't re-employ me with all my wage increases as if I had been on the job. My Union Representative claimed ignorance of the fact...stating: "We've never had a veteran return who brought the wage question up before" Yeah, the International Machinists and Aerospace Workers Union never has had a Vet raise this issue??? It took an Agent from the United States Board of Labor to jolt their memory in binding arbitration. Of course when your Union's Business Agent is the Corporation CEO's golfing buddy you have a bit of conflict of interest. Didn't help that the company Secretary offered the Fed a drink in the office lounge before the meeting either. We don't use these insults, comment removed by Danny. I got a sizable judgement with a two week time limit for the company to "PAY UP". bought a new car and down payment on a house with the settlement. Whether that was discrimination against my RVN service I really couldn't say but the Fed sure went after them like it was!