In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.
Options

Hey all.

phideaux4886phideaux4886 Member Posts: 1,470 ✭✭✭✭✭
edited August 2008 in US Military Veteran Forum
So I'm sitting here, well on the general forum, reading about all this eboydell stuff and got myself to thinking.
I was born in 1966 and don't remember much about the war, but I do remember a few things.
I can remember wondering why gorillas were fighting against our soldiers and also wondering how in the heck monkeys got a hold of guns to begin with.
I can remember my mother getting upset while watching the news, hearing the body count, her eyes would water up and she would get us all to say a prayer for "OUR" soldiers.
I really don't remember what I was thinking when I prayed for you folks, but I do recall sending out prayers.
I can remember the POW's coming home and hugging their wife and kids and my mom crying some more and then getting us to pray for the ones who were still missing.
I can remember some of my friends whose parents were having a hard time with their marriages and some did not make it.
I can remember a neighbor boy whose parents were divorced telling me about what his father did in the war and then being shocked to see him break down and cry over something I could not understand.
I can remember when my father tried to explain to me why it was OK for a soldier to cry sometimes, while not completely understanding it, I accepted it.
Later I got to see the moving wall monument and saw some folks crying as they found a familiar name and being a good bit older, I understood much better why they cried.
Back then as it is now, you real soldiers have always been in my prayers and always will be.
Kindest regards,
DSM

Comments

• Options
    kimikimi Member Posts: 44,723 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Thank you for all of those prayers from you and your mother, phideaux.
    What's next?
  • Options
    br549br549 Member Posts: 1,024
    edited November -1
    thank you for your post.
  • Options
    Old-ColtsOld-Colts Member Posts: 22,700 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Thank you for sharing this and putting your memories, impressions, and feelings into perspective. You have probably described how many families felt, reacted, or existed during those times; both those with family members that served in Vietnam or ones that knew someone who was in Vietnam!

If you can't feel the music; it's only pink noise!

• Options
    root hog or dieroot hog or die Member Posts: 10 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    [:D]thanks phideaux and everyone else that kept us in your prayers.I was in quang tri province and at dong Ha in 68-69.l/cpl USMC . My motto is always keep the claymores turned the right direction and sleep lightly. Semper FI my friends in arms.