In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.

Most common awards, medals, etc

gggggg Member Posts: 7 ✭✭
edited September 2008 in US Military Veteran Forum
Who can tell me what the most common awards, medals, (ribbons, patches, emblems, etc.) are that a veteran soldier below officer rank received during or since duty?

Also, were there any knick-knacks or collectibles that are known to be very common keepsakes for non-officer Vietnam vets?

Thanks for the help.

Comments

• 11echo11echo Member Posts: 1,007 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    National Defense Metal! ...I zeroed my M16 in basic, that night I took a shower and when I got back to my bunk there was a small blue box on the pillow. I asked the guy next to me what the F*** this was?...And he told me that I was just awarded the N.D.M. ...because I zeroed my M16! I wish I knew I was getting one! ...I would have been better dressed then in my birthday suit! *G* U.S. Army 2/73 to 2/76
  • br549br549 Member Posts: 1,024
    edited November -1
    the "Fire Watch Metal is only given during a time of war. and since each generation since the revolution has been in a war of some type it is the most recieved metal.
  • River RatRiver Rat Member Posts: 9,022
    edited November -1
    It's been 40 years, so let's see how I remember. National Defense Medal NDM, which was apparently given for wearing a uniform and breathing. Then the Vietnam Campaign Medal, with the ribbon colors everyone is familiar with. Then there's the pretty little one with the green and white ribbon. My understanding was that this was awarded by the South Vietnamese Gov't to all Allied servicemen who took part, although we had to buy it ourselves at the PX. I suppose it would have bankrupt them to actually issue it. It might have has a French name, like "Pour le Merit" or some such, and if I remember was a white Maltese cross with a map of both Vietnams in the center -- and a flame in the middle, maybe. I've got one, but it would take all day to find it. Haven't actually looked at it in 20 years.

Those are the basics. If a fellow wasn't careful, and moved too slow, he might pick up some others. Commendation Medal, Purple Heart, Silver Star, etc.
  • sraginsragin Member Posts: 2 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    As far as I know, everyone that served in Vietnam received the Vietnam Campaign Medal, and the Rebuplic of Vietnam Service Medal. (All would already have been awarded the National Defense Service Medal). In addition, most enlisted would already have been awarded a good conduct medal medal as well. The lowest medal for valor in combat (in the Army) was the Army Commendation Medal with "V." I think most infantry in the field were awarded that, and in my estimation deserved it just for being there. Most infantry, and all door-gunners and crew-chiefs were awarded the Air Medal after 25 combat assaults or 25 missions, respectively (in the First Cavalry Division, anyway). Crew-chiefs and door-gunners (and pilots) occasionally received Air Medals with a "V," which is considered to be on the same level as the Army Commendation Medal with a "V." It was not unusual (but not too common) to see infantry awarded the Bronze Star with a "V" for valor. Next up, in order, were the Silver Star, DSC, and the CMH, for valor.

It was common for the Vietnamese government to award units the Vietnamese Cross of Gallantry, and/or the Vietnamese Civil Actions, unit citations as well. Members of those units are authorized to wear those unit awards if they were assigned to the unit during the appropriate periods. There's an Army pamphlet out there somewhere that outlines what periods and what units qualify for what. If there's enough interest I'll see if I can find a link for it.

That's all I know and applies to the Army only, and 1st Cav in particular. Maybe someone else could help on the other services.

Regards,
    Steve R.
  • woodshermitwoodshermit Member Posts: 2,589
    edited November -1
    I believe that air crews, pilots, etc in the Army and AF would be awarded the Distinguished Flying Cross as an equivalent medal to the Silver Star for valor in flight. It was SOP in the AF to award the Commendation medal to anyone below E-6, while E-6 and above would be given a Bronze Star for meritorious service just for being there. Don't forget the Purple Heart. Also, not to be picky, but it is MOH not CMH.
  • AirCommandoAirCommando Member Posts: 40 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    These are what I got for 4 years and one tour, 66-67. Of course, some are unit awards, but units got those awards because the individuals were doing the job. I was E-3 and E-4 in country.
    newrack2-1.jpg
    This is a common collectible.
    Siamlighter.jpg
  • woodshermitwoodshermit Member Posts: 2,589
    edited November -1
    I thought the longevity ribbon was awarded after re-enlisting.
  • AirCommandoAirCommando Member Posts: 40 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by woodshermit
    I thought the longevity ribbon was awarded after re-enlisting.

Don't know about that. It's on my new DD214 I got a year or so ago when I asked the AF records people to review my records. They gave me the Vietnam Gallantry Crosses I didn't even know about because they were awarded in 1974, I found out, for the conflict. I got out in 68, so I never even knew about them either. Wasn't it for completing the four year enlistment?
    I wanted to know what I should wear because I joined the Civil Air Patrol and am authorized to wear my military ribbons on that uniform.

AC
  • old_ironsightsold_ironsights Member Posts: 9 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    EGO Medals (Everybody Got One)

National Defense
    ndsm.jpg

Armed Forces Expeditonary Medal (depending on DOS)
    afem.jpg

Vietnam Service Medal
    vsm.jpg

Republic of VN Campaign
    rovcm.jpg

Good Conduct
    agcm.jpg

Vietnamese Cross of Gallantry
    vgc.jpg
  • jlundy46jlundy46 Member Posts: 7 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    The most common navy awards for Vietnam service were the Vietnam Service Medal and Vietnam Campaign Medal. Mine are typical of those earned by folks doing coastal patrol - TF115, Operation MarketTime.

Ribbons002.jpg

Combat Action Ribbon, Good Conduct, National Defense, Vietnam Service, Vietnam Gallantry Cross, Vietnam Civic Action (2nd class), Vietnam Campaign, and Vietnam Naval Service.
  • givettegivette Member Posts: 10,886
    edited November -1
    Hi, folks:
    If medals were awarded after I got out ('70), where can I find out what I'm entitled to? I'm sure my sigline ribbons are incomplete. Best, Joe
  • jlundy46jlundy46 Member Posts: 7 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    Try www.amervets.com. It is part of the American War Library and they have a list (display recognitions)of medals and awards and the details of who is eligible, etc. Medals of America (www.us medals.com) is a good place to buy medals and related items.

Hope this helps.

John
  • acdoddacdodd Member Posts: 1,314 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    The republic of Viet Nam medal was only given to people that served 6 months in Viet Nam.
    We deployed to Viet Nam in Jan 73 and it was over in March so no green ribbon.
    The VN service ribbon was given to everyone that was in VN, even us Navy types that never set foot on dry land.
    AC
  • Jim RauJim Rau Member Posts: 3,550
    edited November -1
    River Rat,
    I wasn't moving slow when I got my purple heart![;)]
  • dersequimdersequim Member Posts: 110 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    I was in USAFSS (Security Service) as a Radio Intercept Analyst.
    5/61 to 8/62. I was at Linkou AS, Taipei, Taiwan. We had 1200 billets, with 15K+, I was told, assigned to the base. We all know where the overage were. When I was approached by the VFW in 1987, during a Membership Drive, I told them they wouldn't find any info about my unit being there. The guy said they could find anything!
    Well they didn't, so no sign-up for me. He then proceeded to tell me I had never applied for my Ribbons and handed me a bubble wrap envelope with two small cylinders and a larger jewelry type box. The award letter and Inventory List had Mention/Listing of the Good Conduct Ribbon, Unit Citation and a Classified Army Medal?
    I reckonizied the first two medals. The one from the Army was a mystery! The listing didn't ID what it was and why the Army?
    I later discovered, while visiting the Military Museum at Fort Lewis Wa., 2007, that it was the SVNM Presidents Unit Citation for Service in VNM. Now would that Qualify me? I requested my medals earlier this year and when they arrived, it wasn't included or listed?
    I had misplaced the first ones, due to several moves since 87'. It is somewhat similier to the one your showing above.
  • Afghan PaladinAfghan Paladin Member Posts: 1 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    Hello, thanks for a good read. This is my first post but I want to say thanks to those of you who served before me.