In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.
Options

Disabled Vet Question

Hunter MagHunter Mag Member Posts: 6,611 ✭✭✭
edited November 2008 in US Military Veteran Forum
I've never been in the service but have a question about disabled vets.
If someone is on disability from Vietnam ect. and gets married does the VA or whoever provide medical insurance for his new wife,kids ect?

Thanks...

Comments

• Options
    br549br549 Member Posts: 1,024
    edited November -1
  • Options
    woodshermitwoodshermit Member Posts: 2,589
    edited November -1
    Why should they?
  • Options
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by woodshermit
    Why should they?

Maybe you misread the question? Who said they should?

Thanks br549.
  • Options
    woodshermitwoodshermit Member Posts: 2,589
    edited November -1
    Sorry, I didn't mean to imply that you were saying that they should receive benefits.
  • Options
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by woodshermit
    Sorry, I didn't mean to imply that you were saying that they should receive benefits.

No problem woodshermit. [;)]
  • Options
    old_ironsightsold_ironsights Member Posts: 9 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    Yes, medical care is available for the veteran's family through CHAMP-VA.
    http://www.va.gov/hac/forbeneficiaries/champva/champva.asp
  • Options
    AirCommandoAirCommando Member Posts: 40 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    That is correct, Champ VA covers my wife. I am 100% disabled. The veteran must be P&T disabled.

AC
  • Options
    6_actual6_actual Member Posts: 5 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    You have to be a hundred percent and they will cover wife and kids under CHAMP VA. CHAMP VA is not a primary or 100 percent coverage, it would be coverage for deductables, co-payments, etc.[:p]
  • Options
    edited November -1
    Champ VA is a primary insurance for dependents, with 100% coverage, including medications and zero co-pays other than a very small one at the beginning of each fiscal year.

6_actual, br549, et al., since you obiously don't know what the heck you're talking about, how 'bout you be careful not to spread misinformation?

Showcasing your (deleted) ignorance via this forum could adversely affect other veterans who might need to pursue benefits for their families.

edited for PC rules, but not for content. DH, 03/01/08 [;)]
  • Options
    edited November -1
    Thanks guys!!!!
  • Options
    jeffvnjeffvn Member Posts: 2 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    old iron sights is correct
    va benefits are provided spouses of 100% disabled vets each child is covered also. in addition each one is considered a dependant on your benefits monthly total. thanks for setting this straight too many crap house lawyers should not open their mouths before engaging brains. hueygunner
  • Options
    charliesbunkercharliesbunker Member Posts: 7 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by old_ironsights
    Yes, medical care is available for the veteran's family through CHAMP-VA. Also children under the age of 18, or until they graduate from college as long as they are living at home. The veteran
    must be 60% disabled.
    http://www.va.gov/hac/forbeneficiaries/champva/champva.asp
  • Options
    hank-ghank-g Member Posts: 10 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    I'm a retired AF CMSGT, retired after 28 years and am 70% disabled but paid at the 100% rate due to not being able to work. Have been in this shape since Oct. of 84. I have never gotten any medical care thru the VA for the wife. Is this simply because you have to ask for it, and to date, I haven't. I pay a once a year premium for my wife, to have Tricare for Life . Any good info on this would be appreciated. Thanks in advance. ........... Hank G.
  • Options
    tmacatmaca Member Posts: 11 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    HANK-G: I think you're in a sort of Catch-22. To get CHAMP-VA you are supposed to be Permanently and Totally disabled. Technically, you are not. You have been declared 70% or more (but not 100%) disabled, but also Individually Unemployable, just like I have been. Because of the IU status, we get the 100% compensation rate. As nearly As I can find out, if someone's disability is such that he wouldn't necessarily be 100% disabled from it, but in his individual case he is "unable to obtain and/or maintain meaningfully gainful employment" (I think I got that exactly right) because of that disability, then he gets what you and I got. INDIVIDUALLY UNEMPLOYABLE status. So we get the check, but we lose other stuff, like CHAMP-VA, because we are not Permanently and Totally Disabled. We cannot work and support ourselves and/or our families, but we are not totally disabled. If you are absolutely unable to work because of your disability, how are you not 100% disabled? Oh well, no law says the VA has to make any sense. Personally, I'm convinced it's a bureaucratic trick to save money but prevent any kind of outcry because they are, after all, giving us the cash. Anyway, yes, you do have to apply for it. And I suspect that sometimes all they do is check to see you're receiving 100% compensation. Although Vets who are 70% and IU aren't supposed to be eligible, I got a notice from the VA last year telling me I should apply. Evidently, the Regional Office sent the notice out to every veteran in their area who was receiving the 100% compensation rate for service connected disability, and they didn't check for P&T status. So go ahead, apply, and let us know what happens. Who knows? They just might give it to you. Even if they say "No", if you've been IU long enough, you might be able to use that to argue that you are P&T. However, if they say "No" to your application, before you try asking for P&T based on being unable to work for a long time, go talk to someone like a VFW National Service Officer. Your nearest VFW post can tell you where to find one. Any time you ask the VA to reevaluate your disability rating, there is always a chance that you'll get a lowered, rather than improved, rating, and you should have an expert evaluate whether or not it is probably safe for you to ask for a reevaluation. To be really safe, try to get more than one guy to look at your case, like maybe a NSO from the VFW and a NSO from the American Legion or, if there is one where you are, a NSO from Disabled American Veterans. One last thing - if you are married and also if you have dependent children (under either 18 or 21, I forget which, or else under 25 and attending school full time), make sure the VA has your marriage certificate and their birth certificates and, if applicable, proof of full time student status. Veterans receiving compensation for service connected disability are entitled to an extra amount of money for dependents. If you haven't been getting the allowance, you're entitled to some amount of retroactive allowance, but I'm not sure how much. There may be a limit, like maybe no more than 1 year's worth or some such. Good luck.
  • Options
    tmacatmaca Member Posts: 11 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    TO EVERYONE:

I think CHAMP-VA is a secondary insurance (pays deductibles and such), sort of. As everyone probably knows, the VA always wants to know if you have any health insurance, including MEDICARE or MEDICAID, even if you're 100% disabled and the VA is required to treat any medical problems you have. Even though they have to treat you, the VA will put in a claim with your health insurance. They'll collect whatever they can, to save on their own budget. This is all required by Federal law, and it's a little more complicated than what I just said, for example I think they don't put in claims for MEDICARE, but that's basically the deal. I suspect that something similar probably applies to dependent care under CHAMP-VA. In other words, they may get your insurance, if you have any, to pay for whatever they can get them to pay for, then the VA covers what's left. This is only a guess on my part, but it would fit in perfectly with the way they normally do things. Is there anyone reading this who has both CHAMP-VA and some other kind of family health coverage who could verify how they do it?[?]
  • Options
    charliesbunkercharliesbunker Member Posts: 7 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    I am rated 70% and unemployable so my wife and family receive CHAMP VA
    YOU HAVE TO ASK FOR IT!!! Just like everything with the VA,..if you don't ask, you don't get!
  • Options
    edited November -1
    Mr. Iron Sights I am a hundred per cent disabled and my wife does not have 100% coverage if you check VA no longer deals with Champ VA my wife gets a small amount back for meds, and I dont particularly care for your BS comments. I am wondering if you were ever in the military.

Geez, 6_actual, you seem mired in ignorance. Can't help you.