In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.
Options

The only time I will post on this forum

jimdeerejimdeere Member, Moderator Posts: 25,667 ******
edited December 2008 in US Military Veteran Forum
I want to thank all veterans from the bottom of my soul for the freedoms I enjoy. Only God and you know the hell you spared me from. I have had a secure and healthy life because of you. God bless you all.

Comments

• Options
    dheffleydheffley Member Posts: 25,000
    edited November -1
    Jim,

Please post more. You are welcome here. This forum includes all as long as they don't attack or disrespect anyones service, and you obviously fall in that catagory!

Thanks friend!
  • Options
    CapnMidnightCapnMidnight Member Posts: 8,520
    edited November -1
    Thank you Jim, it was a long time befor anyone besides family said thanks.
    W.D.
  • Options
    Laredo LeftyLaredo Lefty Member Posts: 13,451 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Thank you my friend..... it feels good to hear that there are folks out there who appreciate what we went through.
  • Options
    RonboRonbo Member Posts: 39 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    I wasn't sure where to post this, but here looks as good as any. I joined the Army 2 yrs after 'nam ended, graduated HS in 77. I was in from 77-92 and am 100% T & P disabled from Desert Storm. I did see some crap that a person should never have to see. But in saying that, I know it was nothing compared to what a lot of ya'll went through. My handshake and a salute goes out from me to everyone of you. You guys are the reason I fly a POW/MIA flag in my yard and on my truck.
    With every inch of me to you.....Thank You!!
  • Options
    davealddaveald Member Posts: 2,078 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I tried to join the army during vietnam but was deemed to be lacking (busted eardrums) and even now so many years later I feal guilty for not going, ever time I see a young man in uniform I want to express my gratitude for there standing up,and standing guard for those of us who can't.
    I wish all could be home and be safe, weather we were, and again, are for or against the war, we should show respect for the men and women in uniform who lay down the lives in the face of an enemy that are so determined to bring this country to our knees.
    GOD BLESS AND THANK YOU ALL
  • Options
    VinhlongVet71VinhlongVet71 Member Posts: 4,605
    edited November -1
    Reply to JimDeere. I'm a new member, but I don't think you have to be a Veitnam vetran to post comments here. Maybe the moderator will clarify this. But as far as I'm concerned your welcome here. Your post expressing your thanks to us is absorbed more than you will probably ever know. This triggers a story that I must tell.

Only once can I recall a complete stranger thanking me for my service. One day in the late 80's I was traveling on Buford Dam Road outside *, Georgia. I rounded a curve and saw GSP crusiers blocking the road, and a mangled mess of two vehicles beyond that. It was a head on collision with 2 dead at the scene and two more in serious condition. Emergency vehicles were arriving from both directions, and life flight was on the way. I had nowhere to go, so I pulled in the ditch and parked. I could see where the helicopter was supposed to land in the road. It was tight but the pilot set that Bell helicopter right down in the middle of the road. Despite the tall Georgia pines and powerlines. The rescue proceeded for about 20 minutes, and they had the two that were still alive loaded in the helicopter. I saw a fireman up in the pilots window talking to him. The fireman positioned himself on a 3oclock position to the pilot and started giving take off signals. (That were incorrect)I could see the pilot shaking his head. There was nobody on the scene that could five that pilot directions to above the trees and powerlines. The cops attempted to stop me when I approached the perimeter they had set. I tried to explain to them that I knew how to get him out of there but they were not gonna let me thru and threatened to arrest me. Only thing I could do was make the signals from where they were holding me> The pilot saw me, he bleeped his loudspeaker, and said, "Let that man pass". I flagged him out. The cops or the firemen wouldn't even talk to me. Finally, while I was waiting them to clear a spot where they could get traffic going again, an old man (kinda like me) approached me and asked me if I had been in the Air Force. I smiled and told him "No, I was in Vietnam, I know the helicopter language. Sign language".. He grabbed my hand and said, "He always wanted to meet one of us, and that how grateful he was for our service". I still remember that mans face and it was over 20 yrs ago. Been alot of brain cells killed since then.
  • Options
    jimdeerejimdeere Member, Moderator Posts: 25,667 ******
    edited November -1
    Still appreciate you folks.
  • Options
    ManygunsManyguns Member Posts: 3,837
    edited November -1
    I thank all of you too. Iwas fortunate enough to not have to go. Although I was the right age, I lucked out with the draft. I had friends that went. Two of them were killed and my good friend and roomate came back a changed man. He doesn't talk about it much, just silently carries his burden. He had it rough, I know that much. I wish I could get through to him, somehow.
    God bless you. You guys will always be my heroes.
    Tom
  • Options
    pappy177pappy177 Member Posts: 6 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    I have stopped buy here from time to time on this journey through life
  • Options
    pappy177pappy177 Member Posts: 6 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    I have stopped buy here from time to time on this journey through life. I was Nam 70-72 and would like to stress one thing that was studied a lot. If you go into a bar , service club , (I belong to NCOA , MCL , AL , and VFW) and if there is a fellow talking about it ,he probably was not there. This does have a 67% probability.
    Now don't get angry , I did not say a private forum where service could be verified like this.
    I would also like to state that that some 60% of us have have failed family lives. (I have 3 children oldest 34 that don't talk to me)
    Some 28% of have committed suicide , fact.
    some 15% of us are homeless.
    We have the highest death rate of any valerians.
    and top of that we destroyed part of a country we were sent to protect.
    at the time we did not know this would happen.
    agent orange.
    Danang is listed as the most polluted place on earth (airport)
    I am proud we served but ashamed of what we were given to serve with.
    NO ONE KNEW

http://www.thewe.cc/weplanet/asia/vietnam/agent_orange_deformites.htm
  • Options
    OMMEGAOMMEGA Member Posts: 13 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    You are so right-on about the numbers...........The Nam vets are still suffering long after we have forgoten about the dirty little war. May God help heal our nations vets and find them a better place in our hearts! Thanks for telling it like it is!
    quote:Originally posted by pappy177
    I have stopped buy here from time to time on this journey through life. I was Nam 70-72 and would like to stress one thing that was studied a lot. If you go into a bar , service club , (I belong to NCOA , MCL , AL , and VFW) and if there is a fellow talking about it ,he probably was not there. This does have a 67% probability.
    Now don't get angry , I did not say a private forum where service could be verified like this.
    I would also like to state that that some 60% of us have have failed family lives. (I have 3 children oldest 34 that don't talk to me)
    agent orange.
    NO ONE KNEW

• Options
    s2kilos2kilo Member Posts: 4 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    pappy177: wrong on one account. I talk about RVN at my VFW with other vets because they are the only ones who really understand. I was a grunt in VietNam, class of 1966 with the 1st Inf Div. Got a CIB, malaria, jaundice, dysentary, ringworm and dehydration..
  • Options
    Jim RauJim Rau Member Posts: 3,550
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by pappy177
    agent orange.
    NO ONE KNEW

Don't beleive evrything you read!!!![:(]
  • Options
    Rocky RaabRocky Raab Member Posts: 14,198 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Well, pappy is right about one thing: it's amazing how often I hear that the guy on the next bar stool was a Navy SEAL, only to then learn that the guy on the other side was an Army Ranger! Musta been millions of both! (Yeah, right.)

Until 1986, I wasn't allowed to talk about what I really did there, because it was still highly classified. But I did repeat the "cover" story a few times.

My memories fermented in my head like bad homebrew beer, until they finally erupted. Ironically, it was my wife who got the cork out. She entered me in a novel-writing contest and said to tell about Vietnam, but as fiction. Darn if it didn't work. I managed to get a lot of it down, with a fictional character as me. It was catharsis in its purest form, and the dreams stopped almost immediately.

Won the contest, too.

I then wrote a second novel that is MUCH closer to the true story, using the same character. That helped even more. I have since written the story of that whole year+ in a giant story that only my grandkids will see someday. That helped most of all.

Fellow vets, if you simply can't bring yourself to open your mouth about your service, do this: say it with your fingers. Write it. Even if it isn't in perfect grammar, even if you think you can't write, do it - even if nobody ever sees it but you or your closest family. Believe me, you will be astounded by the good it will do you.
    I may be a bit crazy - but I didn't drive myself.
  • Options
    ManygunsManyguns Member Posts: 3,837
    edited November -1
    I'd like to read some of that, Rocky. Sounds like it really worked for you.
    Tom