In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.
Options

McCains injuries

cahascahas Member Posts: 4,064
edited February 2009 in US Military Veteran Forum
I started to ask this in the political forum, but thought it better asked here. I know John McCain was shot down in Vietnam. What were his injuries because of this and what are his lingering injuries because of his being a Prisoner of War. I have a lot of respect for what this man has gone through and accomplished and continues to accomplish. Obviously he puts aside his aches and pains the best he can to go through the rigorous toil of campaigning.

Comments

• Options
    Jim RauJim Rau Member Posts: 3,550
    edited November -1
    If I recall he had both arms broken and one leg broken as a result of him ejecting from his plane. Most thought he would die in a few days while in the POW camp.[xx(]
    I am sure some of his injuries cause him some discomfort/pain at his age. But he is a tough person, and when the going gets tough the tough get going!!![;)]
  • Options
    Bullseye ShooterBullseye Shooter Member Posts: 2 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    Besides the broken arms and leg, when he hit, he landed in a pond. The friendly natives proceeded to break his collar bone as well.
  • Options
    kimikimi Member Posts: 44,723 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Broke his shoulder with a rifle butt smash too.
    What's next?
  • Options
    clinteasterlingclinteasterling Member Posts: 549 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I have heard that he can not lift his arms above his shoulders due to some injuries.
  • Options
    11echo11echo Member Posts: 1,007 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    SO I'm wondering right now with McCain running for President, what do you think the Viet Namese goverment is thinking!?? *G*
  • Options
    kimikimi Member Posts: 44,723 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    [:)]
    What's next?
  • Options
    rovernutrovernut Member Posts: 256 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    11echo, I don't think the Viets give it much thought!! All of His guards are either dead or so old that their time is up, and the new leaders of VietNam are too young to fear us. We tried to find all the guards of NVN camps, and deleate them. I would like to think we did so, but know better. It would be nice if John got elected, and the next day said, "pay back Hanoi, here comes the bombs!""
  • Options
    BoskettiBosketti Member Posts: 1,090 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by rovernut
    It would be nice if John got elected, and the next day said, "pay back Hanoi, here comes the bombs!""

Why would this be nice? What would this accomplish 30 years after the fact? You already said most of those responsible are either too old to worry about or are dead. I will concede that our Vietnam military personnel got royally shafted in how the war was fought and how they were treated when they came home but I don't understand what bombing Hanoi all these years later would accomplish.
  • Options
    oreegunoreegun Member Posts: 29 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    Sometimes tough is right!
  • Options
    machine gun moranmachine gun moran Member Posts: 5,198
    edited November -1
    Consider the incident involving Hanoi's current leaders when McCain went there for a visit. McCain told them that he was determined to be completely forgiving of the brutality that was inflicted on him as a prisoner. The NV Official's response, in McCain's very presence, was "What brutality? There was no brutality!"

McCain returned to the States absolutely furious, uttering things like "those lying cursed two-faced fraud-a**ed SOB's...".

Why should we expect NV policy to be different, just because the faces are? It never happened with the Soviets, all the way through Stalin, Bulganin, Kruschev, and Andropov.
  • Options
    joker19joker19 Member Posts: 110 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    Read "Honor Bound", it will lay to rest all the "I think he was" statements. It is a documentary (Naval) of the POWs at Dirty Bird, Alcatraz, and The famed Hilton. It will tell you everything you could ever ask about John McCain. One hell of a true American HERO is what he is!!!!! The only place I think you can get it is at the Naval bookstore, but I may be wrong, have been before!