In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.

Range Flag

53hawkeye53hawkeye Member Posts: 4,673
edited February 2009 in US Military Veteran Forum
Do they still do this in the Corps?

In 1972 we still did.

What's a Range Flag you ask? It was a flag, composed on a standard issue, pillow case. Conceived and drawn up by supposedly an artisic type of recruit and carried to the rifle range during qualifications. After qualification (with M14 at the time) it was signed by all( that wanted to) and given to the high shooter of that platoon.

This is one of my most prized possessions. (It ain't bragging if you can do it)

If you were in Plt.1097 Aug, '72 MCRD San Diego you may be able to discern your own name on it.

Hope all you guys (well, most anyway) are still alive and well.

Semper Fi
dsc00065z.jpg

Comments

• kimikimi Member Posts: 44,723 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by 53hawkeye

Do they still do this in the Corps?

In 1972 we still did.

What's a Range Flag you ask? It was a flag, composed on a standard issue, pillow case. Conceived and drawn up by supposedly an artisic type of recruit and carried to the rifle range during qualifications. After qualification (with M14 at the time) it was signed by all( that wanted to) and given to the high shooter of that platoon.

This is one of my most prized possessions. (It ain't bragging if you can do it)

If you were in Plt.1097 Aug, '72 MCRD San Diego you may be able to discern your own name on it.

Hope all you guys (well, most anyway) are still alive and well.

Semper Fi
    dsc00065z.jpg

That's a nice keepsake 53hawkeye. Good Shooting, too! Old Tank Adair fell a bit short [:(] dave Reed almost cut Expert. [:)]

Those were a big deal among the recruits, but when this type event started, or ended(?) for that matter, escapes me.

What comany?

As high shooter, you should have gotten a certificate for this accomplishment too.
    What's next?
  • 53hawkeye53hawkeye Member Posts: 4,673
    edited November -1
    Thanx, Kimi.

It would be 1st Battalion , but company I 'm unsure.

You know, I dug out the old book we got (like a year book in HS) and found the certificate. Hell I forgot I had it.
    dsc00067r.jpg
    edited November -1
    That's a nice certificate 53hawkeye, a different style than mine though.[;)]

Did your platoon use the shoestring position for kneeling, side-of-foot, or curled-toe? Or do you recall? [:)]

You do remember the names of your Drill Instructors, don't you?
    What's next?
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by kimi

Did your platoon use the shoestring position for kneeling, side-of-foot, or curled-toe? Or do you recall? [:)]

I just remember "off-hand, kneeling and prone"

Who could forget the DI's.

We had a Staff Sgt. Stevens, a grizzly bear lookin' old cuss, but actually was a decent guy.

It was our junior DI that I wanted to truly stop his breathing. One day at an outside instruction he thought I was eye balling the area. He grabbed me by the throat, more like my adams apple, and squeezed real hard. I heard and felt stuff tearing inside and couldn't talk or hardly swallow for 2 weeks. If I wasn't so scared about going to motivation platoon for up to 6 months I could have really lost it.
    edited November -1

We had a Staff Sgt. Stevens, a grizzly bear lookin' old cuss, but actually was a decent guy.

It was our junior DI that I wanted to truly stop his breathing. One day at an outside instruction he thought I was eye balling the area. He grabbed me by the throat, more like my adams apple, and squeezed real hard. I heard and felt stuff tearing inside and couldn't talk or hardly swallow for 2 weeks. If I wasn't so scared about going to motivation platoon for up to 6 months I could have really lost it.

THe picture of the recruit on your certificate is in the "shoestring" position as you would know, and I just wondered which position you might have used.

Can't say that I remember Stevens offhand. Eye "balling" the area, is that New Corps stuff! [:D][:D][:D]
    What's next?
    edited November -1

THe picture of the recruit on your certificate is in the "shoestring" position as you would know, and I just wondered which position you might have used.

Can't say that I remember Stevens offhand. Eye "balling" the area, is that New Corps stuff! [:D][:D][:D]
    That's creative editing , you understand.
    Yea, SSgt. W.M. Stevens and a GySgt D.E.Griffith. I just saw that knuckle heads ( here I would really use much stronger language) picture, junior DI and I can see he was really a pyscho.
    edited November -1

That's creative editing , you understand.
    Yea, SSgt. W.M. Stevens and a GySgt D.E.Griffith. I just saw that knuckle heads ( here I would really use much stronger language) picture, junior DI and I can see he was really a pyscho.

Yes, I understand the editing very well. I might know them, but it's been so long ago, huh?

Nice range flag! [^] Hang on to it, or donate it to the MCRD San DIego Museum, if they still have it. If you do, then someday, one of your old Buds will be sure to see it.
    What's next?