In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.
Options

Finding unit records of Vietnam units

fcdlfcdl Member Posts: 158 ✭✭✭
edited August 2009 in US Military Veteran Forum
Howdy fellows:
Hope someone can help me find the way to get unit records of units in Vietnam. I was with the 53rd Signal Bn. located at II Field Force Headquarters. I'm trying to get these for use with a VA claim. Don't know why they can't obtain them easier than I. VA is all but calling me a liar and I'm again ready for battle. I was in country 1/69 through 1/70. Hioe a VET can help me find out how I can get these records. Thanks.

Comments

• Options
    Ray BRay B Member Posts: 11,822
    edited November -1
    Due to the volume of Army records, sifting through them is a major job, but try this: http://grunt.space.swri.edu/records.htm
  • Options
    mcasomcaso Member Posts: 1,120 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Find out where the "man power assignment records" are. That is where the names will be.
  • Options
    chollagardenschollagardens Member Posts: 4,614 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    There was a fire some years back and a great many U. S. Army records were lost in the fire. I did my three years but never recieved my final discharge. I never gave it much thought until I applied for a job. The person interviewing me asked if I had my final discharge. I said I never received it. He came back with "bad paper huh?". At that time I realized once again I would get shafted for a good deed[:(!][:(!][:(!]. I contacted my represenative Congressman Duncan Hunter, who is running for president, for help. It took several months but I did finally get my honorable discharge.
  • Options
    11b6r11b6r Member Posts: 16,588 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Discharge is nice- but mine comes along with the coffin- I'm retired, but not discharged. What you want is your Form DD 214. Service in VietNam shows up there, along with awards/decorations.
  • Options
    Sky SoldierSky Soldier Member Posts: 460
    edited November -1
  • Options
    CapnMidnightCapnMidnight Member Posts: 8,520
    edited November -1
    What you need is copys of your company morning reports, they tell who was where when, and what happened when,ie action, wounded & soforth. This helped me with my VA claims.
    W.D.
  • Options
    RPeltRPelt Member Posts: 2 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    You can download any unit diaries from http://www.vietnam.ttu.edu/

For those of you who are interested in obtaining the records of any Marine/Army unit while it was in Nam there's a computer site where you can obtain these records for free. These records will come out as Adobe reader files and can be saved onto your computer and you can even make your own hard copies of these records.

The following are the direction to this site and how to download your files.

Accessing Marine Corps Command Chronology's TT University Viet Nam Project

1. Access the main Vietnam portal at: http://www.vietnam.ttu.edu/
    2. Access I'm Interested in: "Researching in the Collections"
    3. On the bottom left hand corner click: "Search the Virtual Vietnam Archive."

On the page you have just accessed, to find the documents you are interested in fill in the following:

(Use the following example to access your first document)
    (a) Line one - Key word/Item: Marine Corps
    (b) Line two - your unit, i.e., 3D BN 26th Marines, 3D BN 5th Marines, etc.
    (c) Document Title: Command Chronology
    (d) Date/Span: dates you're looking for, i.e., 12/1/1967 to 12/30/1967

Click Search on the left hand side of the page, this will bring up your document(s)

Click Display Search Results, this will display the Document(s)

Click and to download, view or save the document in PDF format.

Good luck
    Randy
    Kilo 3/26 '68'
    Mike 3/5 '69-70'
  • Options
    1stTankerSki1stTankerSki Member Posts: 16 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by 11b6r
    Discharge is nice- but mine comes along with the coffin- I'm retired, but not discharged. What you want is your Form DD 214. Service in VietNam shows up there, along with awards/decorations.

I would just like to add, that when I left "Nam" in '66 my Service Record was not up to date, with awards/decorations. Years later, I was told to also request the DD-215 record page (attachment to the DD-214 page) and it had my awards/decorations, earned after I left Nam.

I also was seeking Unit reports, and the following posts here, may help me obtain what I'm looking for !

Thanks Men !
    Ski
  • Options
    korsakovkorsakov Member Posts: 13 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    Thanks for a great link. I'm guessing the documents with a cirlce and slant through it are still classified documents. Thanks

Randy Williams
    USMC
    Ordnance

quote:Originally posted by RPelt
    You can download any unit diaries from http://www.vietnam.ttu.edu/

For those of you who are interested in obtaining the records of any Marine/Army unit while it was in Nam there's a computer site where you can obtain these records for free. These records will come out as Adobe reader files and can be saved onto your computer and you can even make your own hard copies of these records.

The following are the direction to this site and how to download your files.

Accessing Marine Corps Command Chronology's TT University Viet Nam Project

1. Access the main Vietnam portal at: http://www.vietnam.ttu.edu/
    2. Access I'm Interested in: "Researching in the Collections"
    3. On the bottom left hand corner click: "Search the Virtual Vietnam Archive."

On the page you have just accessed, to find the documents you are interested in fill in the following:

(Use the following example to access your first document)
    (a) Line one - Key word/Item: Marine Corps
    (b) Line two - your unit, i.e., 3D BN 26th Marines, 3D BN 5th Marines, etc.
    (c) Document Title: Command Chronology
    (d) Date/Span: dates you're looking for, i.e., 12/1/1967 to 12/30/1967

Click Search on the left hand side of the page, this will bring up your document(s)

Click Display Search Results, this will display the Document(s)

Click and to download, view or save the document in PDF format.

Good luck
    Randy
    Kilo 3/26 '68'
    Mike 3/5 '69-70'
  • Options
    EOD GuyEOD Guy Member Posts: 931
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by 11b6r

Sure, you've been discharged. You don't get a DD214 except at discharge. I've got 5 of them. 4 are discharges with immediate reenlistment and 1 is a discharge for transfer to the Retired Reserve, although I'm no longer eligible for recall (too old).

I know what you mean, though. Just yanking a chain.[:D]

You are correct, though. It should be fairly easy to get copies of a DD-214. The fire at the St Louis Record Center didn't affect Vietnam era records.
  • Options
    mcasomcaso Member Posts: 1,120 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    DD-214's are given at separation which usually is not discharge. Of course things could have changed in the last 42 years.
  • Options
    grumpygygrumpygy Member Posts: 53,466
    edited November -1
    Also found. At http://www.history.army.mil/books/Vietnam/Comm-El/ch5.htm

quote:The 54th and 53d Signal Battalions, supporting I Field Force at Nha Trang and II Field Force at a base camp called Plantation near Long Binh, were corps signal battalions, modified to operate in Vietnam. The main command posts of both the field forces, unlike those of corps, were semipermanent and did not deploy. There were also other differences between the operations of a field force and a doctrinal corps, and these differences were reflected in the communications that were provided to field force headquarters and corps headquarters in Vietnam.

The principal peculiarity of field force signal communications resulted from the need to supplant traditional wire with mobile multichannel radio relay systems across the miles that separated the base camps of the subordinate units. Multichannel radio systems were extended to lower levels than ever before. In some instances, multichannel service was provided as low as artillery battery level whereas, by accepted doctrine, normal corps systems terminate at artillery group level. Both corps signal battalions were capable of operating approximately eighteen multichannel radio relay links. It was normal to connect all U.S. combat troops and those of Free World Military Assistance Forces within the field forces' tactical areas of responsibility with the field force headquarters. In addition, it was common practice to employ circuits and systems of the 1st Signal Brigade's Corps Area Communications System to provide alternate routing.

Each of the two field forces had a distinct and separate method of employing the resources of the Corps Area Communications System to supplement the organic communications; each had a specific reason. The II Field Force, operating in the relatively flat and populous III Corps Tactical Zone, used the corps area circuitry as alternate routing for its own combat system. In essence, the Corps Area Communications System and the II Field Force's combat communications system were interconnected throughout III Corps
  • Options
    chaneydchaneyd Member Posts: 56 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    Originally posted by fcdl
    Howdy fellows:
    Hope someone can help me find the way to get unit records of units in Vietnam. I was with the 53rd Signal Bn. located at II Field Force Headquarters. I'm trying to get these for use with a VA claim. Don't know why they can't obtain them easier than I. VA is all but calling me a liar and I'm again ready for battle. I was in country 1/69 through 1/70. Hioe a VET can help me find out how I can get these records. Thanks.
    [/quote

I was with HHC IIFFV 66-67. I am a 100% disabled vet and using just my DD214 to start my paperwork with the VA was no problem. As long as you have you DD214 you should be good to go. Most of the info on that form is all they need. Good luck.
  • Options
    EOD GuyEOD Guy Member Posts: 931
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by mcaso
    DD-214's are given at separation which usually is not discharge. Of course things could have changed in the last 42 years.

Every time I reenlisted from 1965 until the start of my last enlistment in 1980, I was honorably discharged and received an honorable discharge certificate.

That was the Army. Maybe other services do it differently.