In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.
Options

NBC's Richard Engle

J 1357J 1357 Member Posts: 283 ✭✭✭
edited September 2009 in US Military Veteran Forum
Did anyone catch about a month ago, the fire fight in Afganistan,
reprted by Richard Engle...tip of the spear?
The way i saw the fight, it was staged for the home tv auduence.
First, he stated they were attacked by about 12 taliban. The kid on the machine gun was blazing away..no 6-9 round bursts. Second he stated that the platoon had fired about 40 mortars at the taliban...well, an infantry platoon doesn't carry mortars. Next they show riflemen shooting over a wall, hands and rifle above the wall just blasting away, not one sighting a target. he also stated they were running low on ammo. By the way no enemy kia's.
Then, they return via the same trail they came on..
Now, if I was the company commander, I would have relieved the platoon leader immeadiately.
I wrote the Army and NBC stating I felt this was staged.
To this date no reply.
This brings up another point. When i was in the army in 67, we had M14's. We were trained to shoot and hit targets out to 400 yards.
So, then comes the m16....just throw enough lead in the right direction...you'll probably hit something.
The M14 although heavy, was a shooters dream. I loved it.
No offense to the troops out there, we were issued jungle fatigues as body armor, a steel helmet with liner and an M14. So now they go out with all that weight of body armor and a little pop gun....no wonder these wars are taking so long.
Ya can't walk, ya can't manuver, and you can't run...but you can throw alot of lead ...good luck!

Comments

• Options
    70-10170-101 Member Posts: 1,006
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by J 1357
    Did anyone catch about a month ago, the fire fight in Afganistan,
    reprted by Richard Engle...tip of the spear?
    The way i saw the fight, it was staged for the home tv auduence.
    First, he stated they were attacked by about 12 taliban. The kid on the machine gun was blazing away..no 6-9 round bursts. Second he stated that the platoon had fired about 40 mortars at the taliban...well, an infantry platoon doesn't carry mortars. Next they show riflemen shooting over a wall, hands and rifle above the wall just blasting away, not one sighting a target. he also stated they were running low on ammo. By the way no enemy kia's.
    Then, they return via the same trail they came on..
    Now, if I was the company commander, I would have relieved the platoon leader immeadiately.
    I wrote the Army and NBC stating I felt this was staged.
    To this date no reply.
    This brings up another point. When i was in the army in 67, we had M14's. We were trained to shoot and hit targets out to 400 yards.
    So, then comes the m16....just throw enough lead in the right direction...you'll probably hit something.
    The M14 although heavy, was a shooters dream. I loved it.
    No offense to the troops out there, we were issued jungle fatigues as body armor, a steel helmet with liner and an M14. So now they go out with all that weight of body armor and a little pop gun....no wonder these wars are taking so long.
    Ya can't walk, ya can't manuver, and you can't run...but you can throw alot of lead ...good luck!

I had a M14 in basic during the fall of 1968, they were being phased out in 68/69.

I went through infantry AIT with an M16, but my first duty assignment was in Germany where we still had the M14..[:D]
  • Options
    Rocky RaabRocky Raab Member Posts: 14,197 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Why in the name of sanity would ANYONE watch network news?

Worse, who WITH any sanity would believe network news?
    I may be a bit crazy - but I didn't drive myself.