In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.
Options

Pho

Rocky RaabRocky Raab Member Posts: 14,202 ✭✭✭✭
edited November 2009 in US Military Veteran Forum
After 35 years, I just had a bowl of nostalgia going by the name of Pho. It was with beef, so it was actually Pho Bo. (Pho is pronounced like "fuh" which is close as I can get phonetically.)

Anybody else here remember that great noodle soup served three times a day? I practically lived on it. Ours was made plain, with beef, dried fish or (three times a week) monkey meat. I preferred the monkey by far for its delicate pink sweet meat.

A new restaurant in town advertised Pho and other Asian soups and dishes, and I finally got there for lunch today. The cook is Vietnamese, and when I congratulated her on her soup, she was excited to learn that I'd not only remembered it fondly but had actually written about it. She invited me back for something special. I will certainly take her up on that - soon!
I may be a bit crazy - but I didn't drive myself.

Comments

• Options
    Old-ColtsOld-Colts Member Posts: 22,700 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I don't remember them ever serving that on the Carrier when we were in the Gulf! [;)]

However, we did bingo to Da Nang for an overnight stay on several occasions due to a fouled deck, but I can't remember ever eating a meal there; unless of course you count a liquid diet of San Miguel! [:D]

What are all of the ingredients?

If you can't feel the music; it's only pink noise!

• Options
    edited November -1
    It is basically beef noodle soup, although it can be made with other ingredients, as I noted. Here's a Wiki article with photos, recipe and even an audio pronunciation of it: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Phở

Mine today did indeed come with a side plate of the add-ins. VERY authentic. I also added a squirt of hoisin sauce, but nuoc-mam or fish sauce is more to my liking.
  • Options
    70-10170-101 Member Posts: 1,006
    edited November -1
    I've never tried it, and we have a small Pho restuarant right down the street.
  • Options
    edited November -1
    Took my wife the other day, she took one spoonful and her first comment was, "Oh my! I think we've found another favorite place."

The cook there is Thai, and she makes both the Thai and Vietnamese version. She claims the Viet style "has no flavor" and make hers as a bit of a blend. But a Thai WOULD think that, being so used to very intense spicing. (Her version is superb, though.)