In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.
Options

Capturing AK rifles - did it really happen?

Henry0ReillyHenry0Reilly Member Posts: 10,878 ✭✭✭
edited November 2009 in US Military Veteran Forum
It seems like this has been addressed before (maybe even by me) but dheffley posted about the AK in GD and it made me wonder.

From a recent interview with Kalishnakov:

quote:"During the Vietnam war, American soldiers would throw away their M-16s to grab AK-47s and bullets for it from dead Vietnamese soldiers," he said. "I hear American soldiers in Iraq use it quite often."

And in Rambo, First Blood Pt II he prefers an AK to the weapons offered because "every kid over 14 in Vietnam has an AK" - no mention is made of reliability issues.
I used to recruit for the NRA until they sold us down the river (again!) in Heller v. DC. See my auctions (if any) under username henryreilly

Comments

• Options
    Ray BRay B Member Posts: 11,822
    edited November -1
    Part of the deal with any opposing forces is that they see first hand the damage that the other sides guns do, but they don't see the maintenance issues back at the armorer. So the impression is that the other sides guns are better than ours.

Whenever we had control of an area after a shootout, we'd police up the leftovers- guns, ammo, misc, etc. As long as intel didn't want it, and some lifer with a lot of feathers didn't hassel you, you could keep it, at least until you left country.

I preferred the design of the AK, primarily because of the "slow" or initial extraction, not had by the M16. Aesthically, I prefer a bolt that remains inside the action, rather than free floating into the stock. I also preferred the heavier bullet with slower velocity, so recoil was minimized. That said, I preferred one of the US guns available to me at various times (M14,16,60) and found that I liked having an armorer trained in the guns functioning, and knowing where the ammo had been, and was more reliable from the misfire standpoint.
  • Options
    41 nut41 nut Member Posts: 3,016
    edited November -1
    While I was in Nam anyone who could get ahold of an AK carried one. M16's were in most cases not thrown away (enemy could get it and you would be in hot water if you couldn't produce your issued M16 when inspected). AK ammo was readily availiable. It was the official Army policy that US soldiers were not to carry and use AK's. However it was never enforced - at least in most combat units. It is a little known fact that LC Arsonal produced 7.62x39 ammo for shipment to US forces in Vietnam in the late 60's to the end of the war for issue to the troops who were not officially authorized to carry an AK. The AK could be thrown in a rice paddy for a week, then sank in the ocean for a week, and then burried in the sand for a week and come out firing. The M16 would jam if you carried it across the beach. In fact for awhile the Army was issuing large clear plastic "Baggies) to carry the M16 in so it would fire when you needed it.
  • Options
    Wolfhound1_27Wolfhound1_27 Member Posts: 2 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    I serve in vietnam from 67-69 with the 5th Special Forces, and as a sniper I was attached to 1/27 Wolfhounds 25th Inf Div, there were many guys that carried the Ak-47 instead of the forever jaming don't get it in the mud M-16[B)]. The AK is a far better weapon than the M-16 A-1 or E-1 and you get more rounds than the M-16. I carried it as my back-up weapon in place of the short 16.[}:)]
  • Options
    givettegivette Member Posts: 10,886
    edited November -1
    To Wolfhound: Were you in B52/Chau Doc?? Did you know DDD (Medal of Honor)?? You're giving the correct timeline. Best, Joe
  • Options
    Wolfhound1_27Wolfhound1_27 Member Posts: 2 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by givette
    To Wolfhound: Were you in B52/Chau Doc?? Did you know DDD (Medal of Honor)?? You're giving the correct timeline. Best, Joe

Hi Joe:
    No I can't say that I knew him, I was in Cu-Chi, Hoc Mon, and all up in the north. However, most of my time was spent with Co. C 1/27 in the Iron Triangle, Hobo Jungle & Boloi woods....then was reasigned to SOG [:(!] for 3 months then back to 1/27 during the 68 TET.[xx(]
    Wolfhound
  • Options
    Dak To 68Dak To 68 Member Posts: 1,404 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I served 18 mos. as a grunt with the 4th in the Central Highlands, mostly in the Dak To/Ben Het area. Though I've seen Special Forces personnel carry a variety of weapons, seldom, if ever, did I see one with an AK, they seemed to like the carbine version of the M16 and Swedish K subguns up in those mountains. NOBODY in a regular Infantry unit carried an AK or would have been allowed to carry one in the 4th. There were very good reasons this was strictly prohibited, and I don't know of any of my comrades that would have wanted to carry an AK. The AK and M16 have distinctly different reports and the sound of an AK in a firefight in the bushes would bring fire from GIs. Though it could be had at the ASP in the rear, we seldom saw the rear, and ammo for the AK could very well be unobtainable in the field. They didn't fly U.S. AND Communist ammo out on resupply choppers, the gooks didn't carry as much per man as you might think, and there's no gaurentee that dead gooks would be readily available for you to take their ammo. Don't know how it was anywhere else, but in the 4th you carried an M16, M60, M79, or one of a few 12 ga. shotguns in each company. NO enemy weapons. Can the rank and file troops in Iraq and Afghanistan choose to carry AKs instead of their M16s?
    BTW, I never had problems with my '16 and can't recall anyone else having a bad time with one. The M16, as any other weapon, needs to be maintained properly.
  • Options
    joeaf1911a1joeaf1911a1 Member Posts: 2,962 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    Just curious on having your issued M-16 and using a AK 47. Did you carry both or where in hell did you safely leave your M-16, a local supply room if you were at the same "station" ? No problems if you were captured with a enemy weapon? For us in WW 2 it was bad for ones health to be captured with a enemy weapon. Could spoil ones whole day and then some. Same as some enemies days were spoiled by being captured with a
    weapon of ours. Never mind what a few movies shows where the MP-38 was
    a "choice weapon" by the U.S.. Not true. WE stuck to our own weapons
    even though not all were T.O.E. exactly. Civilian type weapons such as handguns were only for high ranking officers (Patton for example).
  • Options
    Ray BRay B Member Posts: 11,822
    edited November -1
    Joe-
    Vietnam was different from WWII in that the soldiers in WWII were moving from the beachead to Berlin or Rome or the top of Surabachi or whereever; In Vietnam the units were stationed in a compound or firebase, where a soldier or Marine would have his "own space". From there they would leave to go in the bush for a patrol, ambush, or operation. When the patrol,etc was over, they'd return to their space. Those that prefered something besides there issued weapon would leave it on their cot or such. While things were generally safe, there would occasionally be a thief among us. I bought an Omega watch and when it started having trouble due to water and dirt I left it in my area. When I returned from the op, it was gone. Same thing for a few other issued items. So much for being a band of brothers.
  • Options
    dheffleydheffley Member Posts: 25,000
    edited November -1
    All I can tell you is, no Marine "threw away" his M16, but some did also carry and shoot the captured AK's.
  • Options
    River RatRiver Rat Member Posts: 9,022
    edited November -1
    RivDiv13, US Navy, 1972. We were afraid to pick up AKs to use, as some of our guys might shoot at the sound. But there was a general dislike for the 16, in part because of nostalgia for the M14. There were serious problems with the 16 then, and I understand today that these were due to Gene Stoner but rather to some idiots in Ordnance. In general, we thought the AK was crude but more effective than the 16. I believe the M-16 is a better arm, but the AK is a better MILITARY arm. Largely because of its loose tolerances.
  • Options
    overo88overo88 Member Posts: 26 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    I went with the M-14, 04-1965 USMC, While we fan-fired the M-16 a few moths in country, we never caried it.
    Even on the line it jammed up, but then, it was a new weapon. Our unit stayed with the M-14 all through the tour.
    All i can say is, It the M-14 fired every time I pulled the trigger,Clean, dirty, wet, mud and rice paddy goo did not stop it, a lot of rounds went through it on 12 seperate S&D missions.
    AK-47s , and like kind weapons will also shoot as the 14. m-16 Ar-15s are finicky at best.
    Chu-Lie, USMC, 1965-1966, RVN, 0311.
  • Options
    BergtrefferBergtreffer Member Posts: 629 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Howdy: I see you guys are spinning tales of the AK and the M-16. Funny that no one has mentioned the SKS. I went to Nam (CIA officer)in August 1974 and flew out on the last fixed wing out of Saigon in April 1975. It was with a little trepidition that I threw away my .45 cal M3 Greasegun when I got on the plane. The runway at Ton Son Nhut was a box canyon, with all sorts or airplanes stack one on top of the other, in the median and on the side of the runway. Lots of helicopters, Porters, Volpars, C-47s, C-46s, and old C-124 Flying Boxcars. It was the darndest airport you ever would want to see. The ARVN Air Force had retreated back to Saigon, and they flew their planes in. A crane was used to stack up the aircraft and keep the runway clear. We rolled down the runway, like in a canyon of stacked aircraft on the left and the right. When we lifted off the end of the runway, there was a tank battle in progress between two ARVN M-48 tanks and two NVA/Viet Cong black painted T-34/85 tanks, and some squads of ground troops. The one ARVN M-48's 90mm main gun drilled one of the T-34's in the driver's hatch (which is part of the frontal glacis armor plate). When the 90mm round perforated the hatch plate (the driver was sitting directly behind that plate, looking out of the periscope)the plate slammed up and back and a 25 foot sheet of flame blew out of that hatch. That ARVN 90mm round went off inside the T-34's chassis, and set off the 85mm ammunition supply on the right side of the driver. Immediately the hatch cover on top of the turret blew off, and a sheet of flame erupted out of the hatch, probably 25 or 30 feet straight up. The hatch cover came sailing up like a huge frizzbe and nearly hit our right wing. I was sitting on my flak vest because the local ARVN had been shooting at our planes taking off from the airport. (Still have that flak vest hanging in the closet here.) But, that flak jacket wouldn't have helped a whole lot if that hatch cover had hit the wing, or came up through the belly of the plane. I have NEVER had the idea in my head about returning to visit Viet Nam -- ever. Bergtreffer.
  • Options
    00Z5S00Z5S Member Posts: 4 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    I rode in a glass bottom boat once but I've never even heard of a glass bottom airplane. Just what sorta airplane was that which gave you such a good view of this tank battle? Since you were worried about the hatch cover coming thru the bottom of the airplane, you must have flown directly over it. I'm pondering and musing over how it would have been possible for you to have seen that.

BTW: The C-124 was never called a Flying Boxcar.
  • Options
    MIKE WISKEYMIKE WISKEY Member, Moderator Posts: 9,972 ******
    edited November -1
    I was at Long Bin from 1969-71 at the tail end of the supply chain (collection/classification/salvage), we saw a LOT more broken ak's than m-16's (as in connex's full). If the ak's worked the arvn's kept them, if the m-16's were repairable we didn't see them.
  • Options
    MMOMEQ-55MMOMEQ-55 Member Posts: 13,134
    edited November -1
    Went thru boot camp with a M-14. Out of boot camp we were issued M-16s, go figure. Heck I didn't even know how to take it apart. In VN I carried a M-40, a 1911, and a 870. M-40 for those 800 yard shots, 870 for up close and personal, and my 1911 for when all else fails and the gooks were right up your butts. Never even shot a AK but one sure shot the heck out of my left knee.[:(]
  • Options
    sraginsragin Member Posts: 2 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    I was a huey driver in C/227, 1st Cav. In the year I was there (69-70) I flew many hundreds of American and Vietnamese grunts, and never saw a single one using an AK. This despite the fact they were somewhat easy to acquire.

When we would fly an emergency resupply, it was always with M16 ammo. It's all they stocked. I cannot imagine having to depend on dead NVA for your ammo. Further, imagine not being able to recon by fire because you didn't know where your next ammo would come from...

Best regards,
    Steve R.
  • Options
    VinhlongVet71VinhlongVet71 Member Posts: 4,605
    edited November -1
    Your absolutely right about that 41nut. I had two M-16's at one point of my RVN tour. I don't quite remember how I came into possession of two (2) M-16's but I do remember that one of them was made by General Motors and the other one was made by Fridgidaire (sp) But your correct, weapon of choice for a Pathfinder or LRRP was the AK-47. I know this because we took those men to the place where they 'START', and it didn't look good. Maybe if your deer hunting, thats what I do now. quote:Originally posted by 41 nut
    While I was in Nam anyone who could get ahold of an AK carried one. M16's were in most cases not thrown away (enemy could get it and you would be in hot water if you couldn't produce your issued M16 when inspected). AK ammo was readily availiable. It was the official Army policy that US soldiers were not to carry and use AK's. However it was never enforced - at least in most combat units. It is a little known fact that LC Arsonal produced 7.62x39 ammo for shipment to US forces in Vietnam in the late 60's to the end of the war for issue to the troops who were not officially authorized to carry an AK. The AK could be thrown in a rice paddy for a week, then sank in the ocean for a week, and then burried in the sand for a week and come out firing. The M16 would jam if you carried it across the beach. In fact for awhile the Army was issuing large clear plastic "Baggies) to carry the M16 in so it would fire when you needed it.
  • Options
    VinhlongVet71VinhlongVet71 Member Posts: 4,605
    edited November -1
    And incidently,,,, I brought a Chicom Type 56 SKS back home with me. Anybody want to know how I did that?quote:Originally posted by VinhlongVet71
    Your absolutely right about that 41nut. I had two M-16's at one point of my RVN tour. I don't quite remember how I came into possession of two (2) M-16's but I do remember that one of them was made by General Motors and the other one was made by Fridgidaire (sp) But your correct, weapon of choice for a Pathfinder or LRRP was the AK-47. I know this because we took those men to the place where they 'START', and it didn't look good. Maybe if your deer hunting, thats what I do now. quote:Originally posted by 41 nut
  • Options
    colt601colt601 Member Posts: 18 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    I would like to hear the story. If you don't mind.

quote:Originally posted by VinhlongVet71
    And incidently,,,, I brought a Chicom Type 56 SKS back home with me. Anybody want to know how I did that?quote:Originally posted by VinhlongVet71
  • Options
    victorxyzvictorxyz Member Posts: 5 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    While I was in Nam anyone who could get ahold of an AK carried one. M16's were in most cases not thrown away (enemy could get it and you would be in hot water if you couldn't produce your issued M16 when inspected). AK ammo was readily availiable. It was the official Army policy that US soldiers were not to carry and use AK's. However it was never enforced - at least in most combat units. It is a little known fact that LC Arsonal produced 7.62x39 ammo for shipment to US forces in Vietnam in the late 60's to the end of the war for issue to the troops who were not officially authorized to carry an AK. The AK could be thrown in a rice paddy for a week, then sank in the ocean for a week, and then burried in the sand for a week and come out firing. The M16 would jam if you carried it across the beach. In fact for awhile the Army was issuing large clear plastic "Baggies) to carry the M16 in so it would fire when you needed it.]
    you could bring a sks back seeing that it was a semi automatic. so what is the mystery to this bring back?
  • Options
    steamingutpilesteamingutpile Member Posts: 65 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    SEALS would carry AKs when out in the boonies. The reason being first it confused the hell out of anyone they were ambushing to hear AK fire. Secondly the sound of an AK wouldn't attract the attention of other unfriendly types nearby. On the other hand the sound of a 16 would bring all sorts of hurt down on you. This is what a SEAL I knew told me when I asked why he carried an AK
  • Options
    Rocky RaabRocky Raab Member Posts: 14,198 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Yup, the guys who have been there and done that are correct. You could get AKs easily, but not always get ammo - except on the receiving end.

A few specialized units carried AKs due to the sound signature, but most regular units would not - for the same reason.

You could also (with a good deal of paperwork) bring home an SKS. Back then, there was NO ammo for it here in the States, however. And darn few guys who'd been nearly killed by the things wanted to have one as a reminder, either.

As a guy whose job it was to see the bad guys from an airplane, I assure you that nobody made "airline" takeoffs with a nice level climbout. The ONLY time one wingtip didn't point pretty much down was when you were rolling from one to the other!
    I may be a bit crazy - but I didn't drive myself.
  • Options
    GUTTERRATTGUTTERRATT Member Posts: 18 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    Here is part of the M-16 story it kinda clearafies the rumors on the M-16s reliability, Also as far as using captured AK47s in the bush the #1 rule was dont pick up ammo off the ground as gookes have been known to fill the cartridge with explosive that would be detonated by the primer. I wasn't there but did massive amounts of research on the subject of warfare in Vietnam,
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ur2xbYPouIo
  • Options
    edited November -1
    Actually, WE were the ones doctoring their ammo. It started with ammo for the AK/SKS, but we soon were making trick mortar rounds and 90mm recoilless rifle rounds.

I was part of the operation where such rounds were swapped into supplies of ammo going down the Ho Chi Minh Trail. The effect was to cause massive morale troubles. Every time a VC or NVA touched off a round, he could never be sure it wouldn't go kablooie in his face. (My part was a very small one, but I was definitely there and did that.)
  • Options
    PaddiegruntPaddiegrunt Member Posts: 20 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    In 1968 the 9th Infantry did capture AK 47's but never used them for most part, The only case I can remember in my year there was on a night sweep our company CO got into a hand to hand fight with a VC. He dropped his M-16 and while on the ground fighting the VC he grabbed the VC's AK-47 and shot him. I was there on the sweep but didn't see it happen.
  • Options
    River RatRiver Rat Member Posts: 9,022
    edited November -1
    In my personal opinion, the AK is a better battle rifle. More soldier proof, mud-proof, dirt-proof, and its cartridge at least looked more formidable. It would be tempting to pick one up and use it, especially during the initial fouling problems with the 16.

We were instructed not to do so, and the reasons were obvious. The two weapons sounded so unalike, I would not want to draw friendly fire to me. For the same reason, LRPS and similar behind-the-lines types ought to prefer them.

I was Navy, and arrived late in the game (1972). Others may have a different story to tell.
  • Options
    Eagle_ViewEagle_View Member Posts: 11 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    I did two tours in Nam first as an 11B 2nd as a combat photographer, 68-69 back to back. I was fortunate to have spent time with many different units during the time that I was a 9th Div Photo.

Only once did I see anyone carry AK-47s anf those were Rangers from the 75th for tha same reasons that are listed for the SEALs above.

I always said I would rather be shot by a 7.62x39 than a 5.56mm M16 round. We most often gathered the weapons and ammo up and burn and blew them up in place to destory them..

If we had to carry them out it was a struggle.

I found that if I kept me M16 clean and lubercated that I never had a problem.

The 1st one that I was issued had a three prong open flash suppressor and I hated that feature as if was always getting caught in grass and vines. Once I got a new model with the closed flash suppressor and vented butt stock I was good to go.

The only personal weapon that jammed on me was my 1911 Ithaca 45 and that was because someone in the arms room had switched magazines while I was on R&R and an magazine ear was bent jamming the slide.

I spent a week with a Marine CAP Comapny south of Da Nang in late 1969. I found the M16 that I drew from the rack of rear personnel for a night time security patrol was very clean on all outward surfaces and very dry. When I took the bolt apart they had a cow but it was all carboned up.

I cleaned it with a lot of elbow grease, LSA, Pipe cleaners and bore brushes on the firing pin and bolt interior. Their Captain told me that only the Armorer was supossed to take the bolts apart by their SOP.

I gave classes for the whole company over the following two days, I also showed them how we used a B3A Unit C ration Can to help feed the M60 Machinegun when not attaching an ammo can to it. In the sand and dirt the M16 did take a some care but it is and was a fine weapon.

The AK is heavier and more inaccurate than the M16. They are amazing weapons in their design and how cheap they can be made. They also jammed and sometimes whould not fire.

The day my 45 jammed a VC had just pulled the trigger on his AK from about 20 feet trying to shoot me and his AK failed to fire. I shot him in the leg, first shot and then my pistol jammed, another soldier finished the situation with a burst from his M16. The round in the chamber of the AK had a dented primer and all the rest of the magazine fired. It was my lucky day. As a photog I carried only a 45 and usually 2 handgrenafes

I can say that none of the units I was attached to would have allowed an unauthorized weapon to be carried as a primary personal weapon, but there were a lot of units that I did not see.

I got in trouble for trying to carry a Thompson sub-machinegun that we captured when I first got in country. It was heavy, badly worn and not reliable, but looked cool as hell. Later I sometimes carried an M3 Grease gun but I was not primary infantry then. I did smuggle a 357 back when I returned for my second tour but was stolen from my shoulder holster while I was asleep after a 36 hour duty stint. I don't know if a GI or Mama Son stole it. Both were in the barracks during the time.

Eagle
  • Options
    jwl1278jwl1278 Member Posts: 16 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    The father of a friend of mine was trained with an M14 and was later given an M16 in vietnam. While I was showing him my AR15, I opened it up to show him the differences in the internal and he said to me: "my M16 didn't open like that". I didnt even know what to say at first. No wonder the M16 had such a bad reputation.
  • Options
    Laredo LeftyLaredo Lefty Member Posts: 13,451 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Wow, thats scary. The guy didnt even know how to open up the M16 for cleaning. My guess is he was sleeping during the class on rifle maintenance.

I trained with the M14 at Fort Ord in Calif. Then with the M16 at Fort Lewis Wash. When I got to Nam was issued another M16. If they were cleaned and lubed once in a while they worked just fine.

We were allowed to bring home SKSs but not AKs since the AKs were full auto guns. Nobody in my unit switched to using AKs when we captured them.

Me with my sweet 16.........
    [img][/img]IMG_2141.jpg
  • Options
    00buck00buck Member Posts: 718 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    My father doesn't talk much about vietnam.
    But he has told me several times that he would clean his M16 in a drum of Diesel fuel and it eventually took off all the bluing. He said a lot of people wanted his gun when he left because it was bare metal.

He also would talk about the rats that would hide in the sand bags.
  • Options
    edited November -1
    Rats, you want to talk about rats? In the Mekong Delta they were the size of house cats. One night during the dry season I was on night bunker guard duty and thought that half of the whole NVA army was marching up on my bunker, It was a 12" snake that had a rat and was rolling around in the dry rice stalks trying to kill the rat by squezzing it to death.
  • Options
    edited November -1
    Sheeeeeit, brother. I saw rats that couldn't have worn a 12" snake for a belt - wouldn't have been long enough. Even ate some of them. (both the rats and the snakes)
  • Options
    32 Magnum32 Magnum Member Posts: 820 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I was in RVN 1969 - 70, Army Security Agency - was first attached to 9th Inf. Div in Mekong, later spent time just about every place else, including a couple Marine units along the DMZ and around Quang Tri, Phu Bai, Hue area. I only ever saw ONE man carrying an AK, along with his M16 - a young looking Marine and he was sitting across from me in a Chinook. Only allied troops I saw equipped with AK were a couple hundred Nungs lead by a 5th Spec. Forces team at My Phuc Thay along the Parrot's beak - they made a lot of incursions into Cambodia on Ho Chi Minh Trail interdiction missions. They also brought back a lot of intel documents and NVA troopers' personal journals. I saw several VC main force units that were apparently equipped with M16s - found them laying along side the dead after a couple ambushes. It may be just chance that I didn't see all those US GIs arming themselves with AKs, but I did get around quite a bit - 9th ID, IVY Div, 196 LIB, 1st Air Cav, 24th Tropic Lightning, 101st AB, and those few Marines up there in the North - never saw any of them carrying AKs.
  • Options
    70-10170-101 Member Posts: 1,006
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by 32 Magnum
    I was in RVN 1969 - 70, Army Security Agency - was first attached to 9th Inf. Div in Mekong, later spent time just about every place else, including a couple Marine units along the DMZ and around Quang Tri, Phu Bai, Hue area. I only ever saw ONE man carrying an AK, along with his M16 - a young looking Marine and he was sitting across from me in a Chinook. Only allied troops I saw equipped with AK were a couple hundred Nungs lead by a 5th Spec. Forces team at My Phuc Thay along the Parrot's beak - they made a lot of incursions into Cambodia on Ho Chi Minh Trail interdiction missions. They also brought back a lot of intel documents and NVA troopers' personal journals. I saw several VC main force units that were apparently equipped with M16s - found them laying along side the dead after a couple ambushes. It may be just chance that I didn't see all those US GIs arming themselves with AKs, but I did get around quite a bit - 9th ID, IVY Div, 196 LIB, 1st Air Cav, 24th Tropic Lightning, 101st AB, and those few Marines up there in the North - never saw any of them carrying AKs.

I had a M-1 Carbine I bought from a RVN soldier for 50P. But I never carried it in the field. It was used mostly to shoot rats, late nights, in the firefire zone, that separated the perimeter of our camp when I was on guard duty, after dark. I would pop a parachute flare, or two. And watch the flare light illumate the early morning sky after a moment, and the rats scatter.
  • Options
    edited November -1
    Sorry, It must have been a late night, It was a 12 foot long snake
  • Options
    tequachatequacha Member Posts: 34 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    Tried to send my ak home as hold baggage. Thought Id be slick and hide it in the door of a little fridge. Course the M.P. says not many people send their refrigerators home. He opened the door and the damn thing almost fell over. Then he starts taking inside of door off, 3 full mags fell out first, when he finished taking it apart the ak hit the floor. At that point he says, Ive been tryin to get one of those, I said be my guest and walked away happy, sort of.
  • Options
    steamingutpilesteamingutpile Member Posts: 65 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    I had a cousin who was a Marine at Khe Sahn 67-68. He told stories of finding gook ammo caches they would remove the powder and pack em full of gun cotton, Then put them back in place.
  • Options
    edited November -1
    I think your cousin has a vivid imagination.

Gun cotton is hardly part of a Marine's usual field kit - and neither are reloading tools.

Various kinds of enemy ammunition WERE doctored to explode, but it was never done in the field. To be undetectable, it had to be done in labs here stateside, and then shipped back. That doctored ammo was never planted inside Vietnam, either. It was ONLY inserted randomly into enemy supplies in Laos and Cambodia. I was involved in it, and I know.
  • Options
    Fighto109Fighto109 Member Posts: 7 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    I was in a grunt unit (B co 2nBT 11th Inf ( 196th )out of Hawk Hill(FB.
    our rear was in Chu Lai. We were issued M16's, M79's M60's. No one in out Battalion carried, or did I see anyone carry a AK, except for ones that were recovered or captured. I was a armor in the states and helped swap out our arms room supply of 14's for the new 16's (1969)- I saw no jams or problems with the 16 in the states or in Nam, that I did not have with any other, with the exception of the magazines, which would hang when we would put a full 20 rounds in it - reducing it to 18 rounds or buying a banana clip on the black marked (30 rounds)corrected this issue. The M60 would jam when it got wet or light on oil. In order to keep it going during the monsoon season, we would open it up an pour a half a bottle of LSI oil in it, close it back up and continue firing. -
  • Options
    George of the JungleGeorge of the Jungle Member Posts: 5 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    5/7 Cav. 1st Air Cav. Div. 70-71 our Dvision wouldn't let us carry AK's as we were deep in the jungle and most of the time you couldn't see 20 meters. The AK had a distinctive sound as it didn't have a flash suppressor and made a cracking sound. We heard one of them we opened up on them. I carried an M60 most of the time when I got short I carried an M14, a great rifle. I didn't care for the M16 it jammed a lot and didn't bust the brush like the 7.62mm

1st Cav first to go last to know.