In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.

My Ho Chi Minh's

StingSting Member Posts: 629 ✭✭✭✭
edited November 2009 in US Military Veteran Forum
It took a while, maybe two or three years, for me to wear out the Ho Chi Minh sandals that I brought home from the war. Ubiquitous in Vietnam and named for their infamous leader; popular among returning veterans for a while, they eventually went out of style.

Made from the cut up tread of tires, and with straps fashioned from the ruddy colored inner tubes that were used over there, the attention-getting sandals brought smiles and questions from relatives and friends everywhere and proved that there was more than war; to discuss about that country that we went to fight in.

The straps were the first things to break on the shoes, and although any Vietnamese could build these footwear all day long without thinking, my repairs never lasted. But I know more now and promise myself every year that, this, is the year that I'll make some more. We'll see.

Comments

• elubsmeelubsme Member Posts: 1,977 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Well, you could go to a wrecking yard & find a non steel belted tire & make a new pair[;)]Eddie
  • GREASYGREASY Member Posts: 19 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    BROTHER I still have a set of those in my closet, collecting dust but full of memories.The dink that was wearing them didn't need them any more CAU CAU DAU number one.[}:)]
  • Delta CaribouDelta Caribou Member Posts: 2 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    I Don't know where you live, but most cities have a Viet Nam "village" a.k.a. market place, and I'll wager someone in the village could either make you some for "way cheap" or repair yours, probably for free as a tribute to you for fighting over there. Think it over.
    Regards from a Caribou (Army) driver from the Delta,
    Tim
    quote:Beware the gauntlet in the dust of a faltering, but re-awakened Republic... Enraged Americans, with deep tenacious convictions, Patriots all, shall pick it up and restore this Nation's Constitutional balance, and if necessary, with armed, violent and deadly resolve." G. Louis Turner, Jr.

It took a while, maybe two or three years, for me to wear out the Ho Chi Minh sandals that I brought home from the war. Ubiquitous in Vietnam and named for their infamous leader; popular among returning veterans for a while, they eventually went out of style.

Made from the cut up tread of tires, and with straps fashioned from the ruddy colored inner tubes that were used over there, the attention-getting sandals brought smiles and questions from relatives and friends everywhere and proved that there was more than war; to discuss about that country that we went to fight in.

The straps were the first things to break on the shoes, and although any Vietnamese could build these footwear all day long without thinking, my repairs never lasted. But I know more now and promise myself every year that, this, is the year that I'll make some more. We'll see.
    [/quote]
  • kimikimi Member Posts: 44,723 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I wore mine for ages prior to a strap breaking. They were certainly a best buy item.
    What's next?