In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.

How many

steamingutpilesteamingutpile Member Posts: 65 ✭✭
edited December 2009 in US Military Veteran Forum
How many of you get care at the VA? When you see the Iraqi and Afghan vets aren't the face vaguely familiar? I was at the VA today and had a WW2 vet tell me while looking at some Iraqi vets said "That was me in 41." Its an eerie feeling but those faces are the faces that us older guys went to our wars with. The more things change the more they stay the same. Next time give em a hug and tell em I was you once long ago. They'll understand.

Comments

• elubsmeelubsme Member Posts: 1,977 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I have been to the one in Reno, Nevada once to get into the system. What shocked and surprised me the most was the number of old vets who were there alone. They were in wheel chairs, on crutches or walkers. Where were their wives, sons or Daughters[?] Not even an old friend to help them. They must lead a terribly lonely life.[V] I am nearly 66, enjoy good health and am surrounded by a loving family. I am truly blessed[;)]. The V.A. is currently building a new facility here in Susanville. This should alleviate some of the overcrowded conditions in Reno. This will also shorten the trip by over 100 miles each way[:)]. The ride to Reno is pretty hard on some of the really old guys. Eddie
  • GREASYGREASY Member Posts: 19 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    GREAT TOPIC: I just sent my son back to the sand box and yesterday mourning I looked at him from my kitchen as he sat on the couch,the same eyes just not the 1000 yard stare yet,my heart sunk heres my little boy going through the same thing I have 40 years latter. I to see them at AMERICAN LAKE VA HOSPITAL, here in TACOMA, WA. 11CAV...ALLONS[:(]
  • SemperTSemperT Member Posts: 2 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    I have spent a few "tours" in American Lake and it has helped me greatly. I have son's at that age and I do my best to keep them in college and out of harm's way. I figure that they have had enough
    war experience simply from me being their dad. Perhaps the government should recruit those here illegally......a sort of payback for services rendered.