In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.

MACV advisory teams question

colt601colt601 Member Posts: 18 ✭✭
edited January 2010 in US Military Veteran Forum
Does any body know if there is any information on the different adviser teams in Vietnam on the web some where?

Thanks for any help.

Comments

• Rocky RaabRocky Raab Member Posts: 14,137 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Many of the latter ones were covert. Military Assistance Command - Vietnam began as exactly that: advisory teams. Later, that umbrella was used to camouflage quite a few clandestine organizations. I worked with MACV-SOG. The SOG part of which was supposed to stand for Studies and Observations Group, ostensibly to Study and Observe how the Vietnamization effort proceeded. But it really stood for Special Operations Group, and the small part of it that I was in did covert intelligence and interdiction over the borders of Cambodia and Laos.

Almost all real Special Ops groups are so compartmented that one group probably never knows about any others - by design. For example, I wasn't even initially aware that there were three units doing what I did, the other two operating from different bases.
    I may be a bit crazy - but I didn't drive myself.
  • colt601colt601 Member Posts: 18 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    Thanks for the info. Is there any way to tell what the different teams did by their number or info about a particular number team?
    edited November -1
    No, those things were given random names for security purposes.

I wrote in half jest that they kept a chimp chained in the basement with two huge wheels. When they needed a mission name, he'd spin the wheels and whatever two words came up, that was the mission name.

I worked missions that made perfect sense, and some that were bizarre. "Wagon Wheel" "Cedar Ship" were some of the former and "Chalk Fish" was an example of the latter.
    edited November -1
    Thanks again. I was hoping to find information on advisory teams 64 and 40. Did any one here serve on either team?
    edited November -1
    We're clearly talking about different kinds of "teams." I haven't a clue what the ones you refer to meant.
    edited November -1
    I am looking for info on this Vet and the team he served on.It looks like Advisory Team 40?

Thanks Again
    team40.jpg
  • givettegivette Member Posts: 10,886
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by colt601
    Thanks again. I was hoping to find information on advisory teams 64 and 40. Did any one here serve on either team?

I was with MACV team 64. Is there anything specific I can help you with? Joe
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by givette

I am just trying to confirm, was that Phoenix program? What years were you with team 64?

Thanks!
  • givettegivette Member Posts: 10,886
    edited November -1
    No. I was part of MILPHAP. It was a program where a [Navy] team of Corpsmen were infiltrated into various US outposts, to use as berthing/messing, etc. We [MILPHAP Team members] had no direct contact with any particular program (Phoenix, etc). Mission objective was to 'tag along' with US and RVN security forces (SF, Navy RivDiv, Ruff-Puff, etc) and perform medcaps closely tied in with the civilian medical infrastructure. We all had to become fluent in Vietnamess prior to departing CONUS. We'd be all by ourselves, sometimes, except for the rural dispensary personnel.

Our chain of command (except for ops-immediate) was through Chau Doc, then through Saigon. Effectively, I was Navy, assigned to the Army (MACV), but was autonomous. We moved about at will. Our team consisted of fifteen Corpsmen, with one, or sometimes two Corpsmen, sent out to all the outposts in the area to use their facilities. The outlining outposts never refused the 'integration' of us Corpsmen. We were paid a 'per-diem' to enable us to buy local food, and supplies. Our pay went no further than Saigon. When the team arrived in country, we were all issued checking accounts from the Saigon branch of BofA.
    We were ostensibly 'detached' from the Navy, and put under the State Department (to facilitate the MILPHAP mission). Best, Joe

P.S. Timeline? I was in Navy team 5 (later designated Navy team 9) 5/69-5/70.
  • pltrgystpltrgyst Member Posts: 3 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    My brother-in-law was MACV 64, Phoenix, KIA in June '70.
  • WambiWambi Member Posts: 1 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    Looking for information about the action leading to the death of CPT John S. Hughes, Jr., MACV Adv Team 64, Chau Doc Province. KIA 6/30/70.
    John and I served in the 2/2 Arty at Sill and later entered/graduated Arty O.C.S. in Class 24-66.
    John's Dad was Gen. Hughes, Asst. Commandant of Ft. Sill.
    All information will be appreciated.
    Jim

quote:Originally posted by givette