In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.

Vietnam Insignia HELP!

odenthevikingodentheviking Member Posts: 523 ✭✭✭
edited April 2010 in US Military Veteran Forum
Hello All, I know this is not directly gun related.....
But I need some help ID ing a jacket.

I have just come across a "Duck" pattern Camo,Vietnam shirt and on the front/left pocket is a black ink, rubber stamp, insignia. Its in two lines, the top line,(from left to right), has a small "o" w/a line over it, then a "H", then a symbol I can not make out. Below that is a star with an anchor and a strange line above that star.

Any ideas?

Comments

• dersequimdersequim Member Posts: 110 ✭✭
    edited November -1
  • blackpowdermaxblackpowdermax Member Posts: 130 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    odentheviking....just a WAG, but I'm betting you have a shirt with a Vietnamese unit marking rather than American. The Vietnamese language uses vowels with tonal marks and no tonal marks over the vowels and this mark changes the pronunciation and the meaning of the word. How about South Vietnames Marines or a South Vietnamese naval unit??? Again, just a WAG.

max
  • odenthevikingodentheviking Member Posts: 523 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    http://i720.photobucket.com/albums/ww207/tiger_rifles/DSCN0449.jpg

Thanks for the wag! Here is a pic, someone told me it may be a ROKMC,(Republic of Korea Marine Corp), insignia. Its close but the diamond and line over the Star should be an eagle, and the anchor is faceing the wrong way,(minor details), and no one so far can tell me what the top-line charactors mean.
    Thanks again, Paul.
  • kimikimi Member Posts: 44,723 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    It looks like the ROK Marine camo pattern, or one of them. The ROK Marines also wore regular utilities with the regular USMC marking and insignia. Spend a little time on the internet and you'll find that the first part of the markings will probably relate to the unit the individual belonged to, and the last part will be his rank/rating/name(?). The anchor and star looks to be ROK Marine/Navy?.
    What's next?
  • grumpygygrumpygy Member Posts: 53,466
    edited November -1
    Kimi thats what I was thinking, but could not find any. This would ahve been an Iron on patch too. Not a rubber stamp. Marines did the same thing.
  • kimikimi Member Posts: 44,723 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by dnelson457
    Kimi thats what I was thinking, but could not find any. This would ahve been an Iron on patch too. Not a rubber stamp. Marines did the same thing.

Yes, we did iron on the emblem. We stamped our names either on the utility jacket itself or on a "name tag" which we had sewn above the left breast pocket. Also, if memory serves me right, the only reason that we had to iron on the emblems was because they stopped putting it on them at the factory for some reason or another.
    What's next?
  • Dave Fisher15Dave Fisher15 Member Posts: 8 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    could be Thai also. Looks familar, was with 240th at Bear Cat, did some work with the Royal Thai Army, looks like that.
  • 70-10170-101 Member Posts: 1,006
    edited November -1
    It looks like its from North Vietnamese Navy, no proof just an opinion.
  • johnhardyjohnhardy Member Posts: 11 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by 70-101
    It looks like its from North Vietnamese Navy, no proof just an opinion.
  • johnhardyjohnhardy Member Posts: 11 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    I'd guess North Viet Naval Infantry
  • Jmdave69Jmdave69 Member Posts: 1 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    That image is the ROKMC the charters on the top are difficult to make out or i could tell you what they are and mean...(tried to learn Korean but lost that battle) i still have my books that tells me what they mean...

here is a link to the emblem
    http://www.brandsoftheworld.com/catalogue/R/177183.html
  • River RatRiver Rat Member Posts: 9,022
    edited November -1
    Doesn't look Vietnamese to me. North or South. Could be Thai, and while I'm no linguist it almost seems Sanskrit. Could represent any military from Africa to the South Pacific, so anything goes.

Good luck figuring it out! Let us know when you do.
  • widowmakerwidowmaker Member Posts: 28 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    Doesn't look like a ROK camo pattern to me--at least nothing I saw in III Corps.....
  • EOD GuyEOD Guy Member Posts: 931
    edited November -1
    The writing on top is definitely Korean.