In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.

HAL3 Binh Thuy and Operation ARGUS

onepopperonepopper Member Posts: 1,825 ✭✭✭✭✭
I would like to find someone that was in HAL3 1971-1972. I was Airframes division chief at that time. I made many flights as crew chief/gunner. I retired at Binh Thuy and left there with a bad taste, so never really cared about medals. Now, I am actively working for a congressman searching records for other veterans, for their benefits and medals. I would like to find someone who remembers me so I can apply for the medals that I rate. I am asking the Congressman to petition Congress to extend the criteria for the Antartica Service Medal to the men who participated in ARGUS August and September, 1958. Many of the 4500 men who were there have since died from leukemia. Up until declassification in 1982 this operation was of the highest secrecy, and was the best kept secret of the cold war. If you were with us on this operation please contact me through this thread. Sincerely, onepopper

Comments

• onepopperonepopper Member Posts: 1,825 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by onepopper
    I would like to find someone that was in HAL3 1971-1972. I was Airframes division chief at that time. I made many flights as crew chief/gunner. I retired at Binh Thuy and left there with a bad taste, so never really cared about medals. Now, I am actively working for a congressman searching records for other veterans, for their benefits and medals. I would like to find someone who remembers me so I can apply for the medals that I rate. I am asking the Congressman to petition Congress to extend the criteria for the Antartica Service Medal to the men who participated in ARGUS August and September, 1958. Many of the 4500 men who were there have since died from leukemia. Up until declassification in 1982 this operation was of the highest secrecy, and was the best kept secret of the cold war. If you were with us on this operation please contact me through this thread. Sincerely, onepopper
  • onepopperonepopper Member Posts: 1,825 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Update, 16 Mar 2010, I have been issued the Antartic Service Medal. To blow your mind
    There were 4500 men involved in Project Argus, who were radiated for up to 72 hours with the three air bursts. Many of these men have passed on due to colon cancer and leukemia. I was one of the lucky ones, who survived. I am out seven years with colon cancer. I hated Bill Clinton when he was president, but God I have to love him now. He signed into law the "Radiation Victims Compensation Act of 2000. The bank called me today with the news that an electronic transfer of $75,000 was deposited into my account, from the US Department of Justice. This is a tax free lump sum payment for men who participated, and were aboard ships of Task Force 88 in 1958 off the coast of Antartica. onepopper
  • JTTJTT Member Posts: 5 ✭✭
    edited November -1