In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.
Options

The me grease gun pouch. Need info

GUTTERRATTGUTTERRATT Member Posts: 18 ✭✭
edited June 2010 in US Military Veteran Forum
Hi guys, I have a question that probably only a real Vietnam vet can answer, I have a ammo Carry pouch with a shoulder strap for the grease gun 30rd magazines. Can someone tell the how many magazines did these bags carry ?

m3ammobag-2.jpg

m3ammobag-2.jpg

Any reply would be greatly appreciated
Best Regards
Bob M.

Comments

• Options
    70-10170-101 Member Posts: 1,006
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by GUTTERRATT
    Hi guys, I have a question that probably only a real Vietnam vet can answer, I have a ammo Carry pouch with a shoulder strap for the grease gun 30rd magazines. Can someone tell the how many magazines did these bags carry ?

m3ammobag-2.jpg

m3ammobag-2.jpg

Any reply would be greatly appreciated
    Best Regards
    Bob M.

Hi, Bob...They're designed to hold six 30 round Grease Gun mags, and will also hold the same number of Thompson mags, should you be lucky enough to own one..[;)]
  • Options
    edited November -1
    Thanks 70-101 I knew you guy had the answer, Who would know better than some one who actually used and relied on them...Here is a picture of my Thompson

SANY0213.jpg

SANY0241.jpg

SANY0235.jpg

This is my mac 10/45, This is what I use the GG mags in....

MAC-1.jpg

MAC-2.jpg

Best Regards
    Bob M.
  • Options
    70-10170-101 Member Posts: 1,006
    edited November -1
    Your Thompson is stunning, congratulations. But, in all honesty I never carried an M3 in Vietnam, only the standard issue weapons on the day. But I did see a few in the hands of ARVN and ROK troops.

Apparently M3's did see limited service in the Army after the Korean war until perhaps the early 1990s. But I never saw a GI in Vietnam carry one.
  • Options
    KansasGuyKansasGuy Member Posts: 13 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    The M3A1 was carried in our Reactioan Platoon in MAG-11 (Marine Air Group 11) in Da Nang. We were all issued M-14's until Spring '69.
    Our reaction platoons were made up from the various squadrons in the MAG and were as the name suggests to ract during attacks (Most rockets and rarely by troops into the base). We also backed up the MP battalion during Tet ' 69 while they went across the base to back up the Air Force (back up what? The Air Force banned rifles from their side of the base)- out towards the China Beach side.

Now my mind is a little sketchy on this - but:
    We had like 1 guy from each squad (of 4) assigned with a selector on their M-14.
    We had three M3A1's in the platoon, and I think 3 M-79's.
    We did not carry any M-60s as we were supposed to go to the inner wires that ran on the inside of the road that circled the base. The Marine MP's - Korean Marines for the ROK side and the Airforce AP's and then the ARVN's each took the outside wires.

The end of the month during the Tet season in '69 one of our M3A1's guys got a hop from the Group XO in his jeep from our living area to the the flightline. During the "chat" the XO looks down to see the barrel is pointing towards his head while they bounce down the road. So the XO asks him to point it away from him and why the "bolt is open". So the LCpl/Cpl tells him about the M3 and how it fires from an open bolt.
    So the XO asks him where the safety is, and the Cpl shows him and quietly switches the safety "ON".
    The next day we had no more M3A1's in the Group. Go figure.

So Yah - we had them in Vietnam. I think the Force Recon had access to them also. Hell - they carried whatever suited them it seemed like. But even they used to trade for our M-14's when they came into Da Nang. They had plenty of AK's to trade with.
    In case any of you never shot the M-14 or M-1, the "rounds put them down".
  • Options
    edited November -1
    That was a excellent story. thanks for sharing your experiences Kansasguy

Best Regards to everyone
    Bob M.