In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.
Options

Looking for Pix from Cam Ranh bay

beeker77beeker77 Member Posts: 17 ✭✭
edited August 2010 in US Military Veteran Forum
Anybody have any pictures from Cam Ranh bay Air Base? Looking especially for C-130 rescue or recon birds. ...Or Herky Hill barracks, chow hall.

Comments

• Options
    joker19joker19 Member Posts: 110 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    Not much happened there.........coming in and going out...safe haven!
  • Options
    beeker77beeker77 Member Posts: 17 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by joker19Not much happened there.........coming in and going out...safe haven!
    Yeah, not much. Only the ammo dump zapped by rockets and cooking off, ...for days, leaving a moon-size crater. [;)]

Of course, for us aircrews at Cam Ranh, the action was in the air, flying low and slow, both in-country and 'way up in the PDJ (ever hear of Dien Bien Phu?). Got jumped twice by NVAF MiG-21s there. Triple Nickel (555th TFS) F-4s scrambled from U-Dorn RTAFB and saved our butts more than once.
  • Options
    widowmakerwidowmaker Member Posts: 28 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    I was at Cam Rahn Bay on 11August,1969. I was leaving for R&R in Australia on the following day. I had been in Viet Nam for 9 months at that time. A VC Sapper Squad came through the wire that night and attacked the 6th Convalescent Hospital with satchel charges and AKs. Many buildings were destroyed and GIs killed and injured. I was in a barracks nearby, UNARMED, for the 1st time in 9 months. I had RELUCTANTLY checked my M-16 and 1911 when I arrived that AM. Had to comply or I couldn't go on R&R. Was told that Cam Ranh Bay was the SAFEST place in Viet Nam......NOT ! ! You can Google this Sapper Attack and see pics and video clips of the devastation. I DID get to go on R&R. I returned 6 days later and caught the 1st thing smokin' outta Cam Ranh Bay--FULLY ARMED. Have carried a 1911 almost every day since. I'M 68 yo now, sooo it's workin'for me.........
  • Options
    joklirnjoklirn Member Posts: 3
    edited November -1
    Cam Ranh Bay became the center of coastal air patrol operations with the establishment in April 1967 of the U.S. Naval Air Facility, Cam Ranh Bay, and the basing there of P-2 Neptune and P-3 Orion patrol aircraft. That summer, Commander Coastal Surveillance Force and his staff moved their headquarters from Saigon to Cam Ranh Bay and set up operational command post to control the Operation Market Time effort.

http://www.cheap-credit-cards.org | http://www.cheap-credit-cards.org/loans/bad-credit-auto-loans/