In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.

Civilians wearing dog tags:is it ok ?

the_punisher_the_punisher_ Member Posts: 562 ✭✭✭
edited August 2010 in US Military Veteran Forum
Hello again gentlemen,I have a question to ask.If a civilian chose to wear GI dog tags,in a show of respect to the veterans,would that be ok ? I ask this because a friend of mine was thinking of getting some tags made for his close friends and was wanting to know what vets would think.No one in our group is a vet,but we do respect you guy's opinion and service.Thank you for your time.

Comments

• wolfeccwolfecc Member Posts: 7 ✭✭
    edited November -1
  • steamingutpilesteamingutpile Member Posts: 65 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    I know several people who wear the dog tags of relatives or friends KIA. Keeps them close to their heart. I think its a fitting tribute to those that paid the ultimate price.
  • givettegivette Member Posts: 10,886
    edited November -1
    My mom proudly wears the ribbon of the B/S on her jacket lapel. I firmly believe that moms of combat soldiers can wear the collar pin of what their sons earned while in combat. Any lapel device, from the MOH on down! It's their right!!!
  • Rocky RaabRocky Raab Member Posts: 14,130 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    As long as a person does not wear military accouterments in order to claim a false military history, it is fine. Doing so out of respect is more than fine.
    I may be a bit crazy - but I didn't drive myself.
  • 70-10170-101 Member Posts: 1,006
    edited November -1
    I agree. Wearing dog tags is fine.
  • woodshermitwoodshermit Member Posts: 2,589
    edited November -1
    Yes, as long as it is respectful and not intended to be jewelry.
  • Alan RushingAlan Rushing Member Posts: 9,002 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    It seems that wearing the dog tags would be very difficult to be construed in a negative way.

I have known women in particular, to wear the tags of someone that is significant to them. Their son, father, brother, husband or boyfriend. It is a means of reminding them every day of that individual.

That individual is someone that is or was serving in the armed forces. Or someone that passed while serving. It would seem that remembrance can only be positive.

It would seem very unusual that anyone would take that as negative, inappropriate or disrespectful to anyone.

I agree with all of the above comments ... and it is unanimous!
  • ManygunsManyguns Member Posts: 3,837
    edited November -1
    I wers tags for two of my friends who were lost in Nam. I miss them both.
    Tom
  • joker19joker19 Member Posts: 110 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    sure! Let them wear them....they have no idea why the little dent is in the corner or what they actually did with them. If it makes them feel like the are honoring us then let them have at it. I for one would love to show them what the nick is for and how it was used. We have a country of "feel goods" and I for one think it is disgusting! Most people have no idea why there is a little crook (dent) in the corner, those that died do!
  • kylewkylew Member Posts: 95 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    First I will say I never had the chance to serve (4-G, "sole surviving son"). I have however been a DOD contractor for over 30 years. I think I get it. My brother has been MIA 42 years now. Each Mothers day we pass another anniversary of the day he went missing. Four years ago during a DOD-JTF "dig" they found one of his tags. Pretty beat up. I have no issues with others who choose to wear them. Just make sure you do it for the right reason. The only show you should be putting on should be a show of respect. Thank you.
  • ltcdotyltcdoty Member Posts: 4,163 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by joker19
    sure! Let them wear them....they have no idea why the little dent is in the corner or what they actually did with them. If it makes them feel like the are honoring us then let them have at it. I for one would love to show them what the nick is for and how it was used. We have a country of "feel goods" and I for one think it is disgusting! Most people have no idea why there is a little crook (dent) in the corner, those that died do!

Actually the little indentation on the dog tags was to index the tag on the stamping machine.
  • peabopeabo Member Posts: 3,098
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by ltcdoty

Actually the little indentation on the dog tags was to index the tag on the stamping machine.

+1
  • bobskibobski Member Posts: 17,868 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    of course it is.
    matter of fact, some civilian companies make them for anyone wanting them. its a good form of i.d. especially for kids.
    Retired Naval Aviation
    Former Member U.S. Navy Shooting Team
    Former NSSA All American
    Navy Distinguished Pistol Shot
    MO, CT, VA.
  • jev1969jev1969 Member Posts: 2,691
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by peabo
    quote:Originally posted by ltcdoty

+1

+2
  • tronarattronarat Member Posts: 13 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    According to recent fed court decision , anyone can wear the CMO. Stolen Honor is deemed unconstitutional. Ya got to luv a liberal court.
  • e3mrke3mrk Member Posts: 1,851 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    As long as They are not trying to use Them to make People think They deserve to wear Them it's fine.