In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.
Options

Who Made Your Weapon?

n/an/a Member Posts: 168,427
edited August 2010 in US Military Veteran Forum
Curious, do any of you Vietnam Vets remember who made your weapon?

I know the M16A1 was made primarily by Colt, but H&R and GMC/Hydromatic also made them during the War.

The M14 was made by Springfield Armory, H&R, Winchester, and TRW.

The M60 was made by Saco/Maremont, don't know who else made them.

The M79 was made by Kassnar, not sure if anyone else made them.

Thanks in advance for any replies, and thanks again for your service

Comments

• Options
    IronrifleIronrifle Member Posts: 664
    edited November -1
    My 105mm Howitzer wa made by Rock Island.
  • Options
    mark1945mark1945 Member Posts: 8 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    I had a winchester M14.
  • Options
    PaddiegruntPaddiegrunt Member Posts: 20 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    In Basic my M-14 was from TRW, AIT and in Nam they were made Winchester
  • Options
    Rocky RaabRocky Raab Member Posts: 14,188 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I remember. Mine was made by Cessna [:D]
    I may be a bit crazy - but I didn't drive myself.
  • Options
    elubsmeelubsme Member Posts: 1,991 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    M14 by H&R, Eddie
  • Options
    70-10170-101 Member Posts: 1,006
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by Paddiegrunt
    In Basic my M-14 was from TRW, AIT and in Nam they were made Winchester

If you carried an M-14 in basic and you remember who manufactured it, your memory is much better then mine.

[8D]
  • Options
    swampratswamprat Member Posts: 12 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    my m16 had a large M with a circle on the nylon buffer,Was this made by Mattel Toy co.? My barrel had the three open flash suppresor,a67or66 model Colt,one of the smack-o-matic models.
  • Options
    johnhardyjohnhardy Member Posts: 11 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    You can tell it's swell,it's a Mattey Mattel....
    I kinda like this forum,yes, there is a law against wearing,displaying,claiming undeserved military decorations..Even had a brother,son of my mother and father who told his son that he is a veteran of both Korea and Vietnam,,I had to call him on it,because it belittled my own Vietnam service.I'm nobody's hero,done my job as well as I knew how got done and got out.Anyone needing proof of claims
    can accompany me to the VA,or can check the record...Some folks feel a need to lie to cover their own sence of inadaquacy...
  • Options
    Old-ColtsOld-Colts Member Posts: 22,700 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Our's was made by Grumman. [:)]

If you can't feel the music; it's only pink noise!

• Options
    elubsmeelubsme Member Posts: 1,991 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by johnhardy
    You can tell it's swell,it's a Mattey Mattel....
    I kinda like this forum,yes, there is a law against wearing,displaying,claiming undeserved military decorations..Even had a brother,son of my mother and father who told his son that he is a veteran of both Korea and Vietnam,,I had to call him on it,because it belittled my own Vietnam service.I'm nobody's hero,done my job as well as I knew how got done and got out.Anyone needing proof of claims
    can accompany me to the VA,or can check the record...Some folks feel a need to lie to cover their own sence of inadaquacy...
    [:0] Eddie
  • Options
    johnhardyjohnhardy Member Posts: 11 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    The M-16 I carried was made by Colt,but the plastic parts were actually stamped Mattel
  • Options
    SAM-USMCSAM-USMC Member Posts: 31 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    The M-14 that I carried in Boot Camp was made by Winchester, and the M-16 I carried in Vietnam was a Colt.
  • Options
    navcompnavcomp Member Posts: 15 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    McDonnell-Douglas
  • Options
    cercer Member Posts: 826 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    winchester M14 at Parris Island
    colt ar15 vietnam
  • Options
    rivethookrivethook Member Posts: 164 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Mine were Fairchild, Carl Gustav and Browning, and they worked all the time from what I can remember, they must have I'm here even if my all my memory isn't !!!
  • Options
    swampratswamprat Member Posts: 12 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    AR-15-in Country-Wisky-Tango-Foxtrot,all I got to say
  • Options
    Belt Fed .50 Cal.Belt Fed .50 Cal. Member Posts: 15 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    My Ma Duces were made by AC Spark Plug and Westinghouse.
  • Options
    boardstretcherboardstretcher Member Posts: 5 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by swamprat
    AR-15-in Country-Wisky-Tango-Foxtrot,all I got to say

Hey Swamprat, I was with Company B, 2nd Battalion, 34th Armor....attached to the 25th Infantry near Tay Ninh. 1969/1970. M48 tank crewman. My rifle was also a Colt AR 15, and full auto. Some of the first of this series of "M-16s" were sold to the Air Force, maybe some other units. But it's not uncommon for an early rifle to be marked "Colt AR-15". They had no forward assist, and were of the "slab side" configuration. Most with a three pronged "flash hider" and early "no trap door" buttstock. TANKER
  • Options
    KansasGuyKansasGuy Member Posts: 13 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    I don't remember the one from Boot and basic AIT.

I was Air Wing so we kept the M-14's in Da Nang. I think mine was Springfield, but my memory might be more influnced by inference than actuallity. Didn't shoot that well back then. But hey- hit anywhere on the body - and -- well you know.

The Air Wing, MAG-11 in Da Nang finally started to get M-16's during my 2nd tour in Jan 69. I kept my M-14 as I was rotating back in Feb 69. They worked pretty well. Never will forget washing them with soap and water and a brush in boot camp. Damn near indestructible.
    Thank God I didn't have to carry one and the ammo through the jungle.
    We did have M-79's(1) and M3A1(3) Greaseguns in our reactionary platoon in Da Nang. Also 3 guys carried M-14's with the auto selector. At least as old memory serves me.

You may find it interesting that Force Recon Marines came into our Marine supply all the time asking to trade for M-14's. Seems as though the M-16's were not working very well back in 67-68. They also bugged NavWeps supply for the pilot's strobe lights (ET call home?). We never disagreed with anything Force Recon wanted. Nice guys - but don't piss them off. Never sure how we cleared it on the books though. You'd do anything to help Force Recon and not piss them off - they called us "want to be's" I'm sure. LOL

But I could still tear down an M-14 with my eyes closed even during my advanced senility (kidding on the senility).

What I DO remember well? All in AIT training in Pendleton:
    M-1 Garand. Wow.Great rifle. Too bad only eight rounds and the "ping" of the inner clip when the last round was fired.
    The old Rocket launcher - DON"T stand in back.
    The BAR - wow what a kick to shoot.
    The M-60.
    The LAW.
    The M-79 - "bloop".
    108MM Recoiless fitted with the .50 Calber sighting weapon.
    (Watched- not shot). Air Wingers stay away from our gun please.

And last but not least in anyone's book - the greatest pill box clearer ever invented for the Corps -
    Ladies and Gentlemen - drum roll please........

The Flame Thrower

Now that was FUN. Genuine Big Boys toy.
    Gosh - the good old days.
    Finally got me a real Colt AR-15, carbine when I worked as a reserve deputy. Still like to have an M-14/M1A.
  • Options
    mlawackomlawacko Member Posts: 7 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    First 16 during basic training at Fort Polk (lovely place) was built by General Motors Hydromatic Division. Rattled and was very hard to zero. Second was built by Remington Arms. That was a fine weapon. I was assigned an M203 for a while. Not too bad either. Issued a .45, can't remember much about it, but, it worked just fine :)
  • Options
    River RatRiver Rat Member Posts: 9,022
    edited November -1
    Man! I never thought to read the fine print! I really don't know. There were three M2s and one M-60 per boat, several M16s and occasional sidearms. An M203 or two if we could get them, an M-79 if we couldn't. And there was supposed to be a shotgun per boat. But I never got bored enough to find out who made what.

Years later, I learned about John Browning and decided he was my hero! He designed most weapons I liked best, several before my daddy was born!
  • Options
    excavmanexcavman Member Posts: 39 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    Mine was built by Caterpillar ( D-8 )

554th Red Horse 67-68
  • Options
    1USMC11USMC1 Member Posts: 11 ✭✭
    edited November -1
  • Options
    Alan RushingAlan Rushing Member Posts: 9,002 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    M-16 by Colt
    38 Spec. by Smith & Wesson
    M-79 by Kassnor
    P-38 by Walther

It may not be an actual trick question, the question is simple and the answer is even more simple and straight forward.

The weapons were purchased by every tax paying American.

Payed for with the blood, sweat and tears (and taxes)of US and American ally military armed forces personnel and the civilians.

The weapons manufactured for the most part by manufacturers with roots in the USA. Economic benefit and profits went to the manufacturers.
  • Options
    n/an/a Member Posts: 168,427
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by Alan Rushing
    M-16 by Colt
    38 Spec. by Smith & Wesson
    M-79 by Kassnor
    P-38 by Walther

It may not be an actual trick question, the question is simple and the answer is even more simple and straight forward.

The weapons were purchased by every tax paying American.

Payed for with the blood, sweat and tears of US and American ally military armed forces personnel and civilians.

The weapons manufactured for the most part by manufacturers with roots in the USA. Economic benefit and profits went to the manufacturers.

My bad, I should have said who manufactured your weapon.

BTW, how did you end up with a P-38?
  • Options
    edited November -1
    My buddy let me have it when needed. He relieved an NVA officer of it. And the NVA had in turn had relieved a French officer of it, many years before. That beautiful pistol was a sight, felt just right and very accurate, besides it's history that we knew, being a bit dramatic.

Yes, I used it.

We also had a selection of pocket pistols, a wallet pistol and a couple of boot or ankle hides. Have no recollection now of who manufactured them. Knew then probably. I do recall that we kept them in good condition, and functioning. They did not have high accuracy requirements!

Going to town could be interesting, staying there could be dicey.
  • Options
    TANKERTANKER Member Posts: 5 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    I'm just curious. I have a P38 that my Uncle brought back from Europe during WW2.
    How did you know where the NVA officer got his?
    What unit were you with and what was your AO? Maybe we passed each other on the road? You'd be the one "loaded down" with weapons...what a bunch of weapons to carry around, and I thought I had it bad riding around on a tank. Wallet holsters? Ankle holsters? Boot holsters? Man that must have made some blisters! How did you keep them all dry? I guess I just missed out..I never even heard of a "wallet holster" back then, and the last thing I wanted to do was to strap more stuff around my boot legs. You're one tough dude, I admire you. Thanks for your service to our country! TANKER
  • Options
    edited November -1
    The NVA was snatched up. Those folks apparently had the same interest and questions that you have. I know that had gotten my attention.

That was the first time that I had layed eyes on one there (or anywhere) but knew what it was and where they had come from, in general.

I figured that when the French returned to SouthEast Asia after WW II had ended, they no doubt brought that and many of the other weapons that were available to them at that point. And we all know that they had unlimited selection to choose from.

We found a lot of pre- and war production European rifles in our area. How many were supplied the loyal French and Vietnamese resistance fighters of the Japanese occupation and pressence, during WW II and how much came in subsequestly to France's return, I have no idea.

It would seem that some of the folks with MI would have checked that out a bit. I do not recall having read anything definitively regarding that though.

I saw a selection of Mausers and various British, Italian, French, Japanese, Chinese and Russian rifles, with some odds and ends handguns. I recall seeing where some came from, recognizing some, and not others. I had friends then that were really interested and into the esoteric.

I appreciated the Mausers, and greatly respected the AK-47. If a legal trade, I'd have traded out 3 M-16 for 2 AKs any day of the week, if I'd have been able to use them on OPs.

I appreciate the mass of the rounds and the fact that they (non-VN, non-Chicom made) were the most dependable weapons that I ever had the opportunity to use there!

I figured that the only competition would have been our 50 BMG! Asked our CO if he would mind me using it. Asked me if I wanted to check it out, familiarize myself with it or practice. I replied "yes". You probably can fill in the blanks! I said yes, all of the above and throw rounds at the bad guys ... watch them run, dodge and jump.

I did that and more, handy machine! Never was able to do a very good impersonation of John Wayne with it though!! Hell, I couldn't much past the front gate, and that was without the stand or much ammo. Kind of gave up taking with me on ops!!!

If I had taken it out, I'd have had to do what ever it took to get an oportunity to use it ... And hopefully the sooner the better.
    But fun and effective, for sure. I recall us only having a couple. The one near me stayed cleaned and ready.

TANKER Please note! TANKER

I attempted to get an email to you, it bounced back ... no luck! Does the email address here normally work for you? If so ... let me know and I will re-send. Alan
  • Options
    widowmakerwidowmaker Member Posts: 28 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    M-16A1 by Colt was issued me. Also carried a 1911 by Colt with the #s removed. Bought it from a 101st AB trooper who was on his way home when I first got in country. I sold the 1911 on my way out the door...
  • Options
    DawgPawDawgPaw Member Posts: 1 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    My M16 was made by General Motors.
  • Options
    gap1916gap1916 Member Posts: 4,977
    edited November -1
    My hand guns were made by Colt and Browning. My favorite rifle was made by Stonner. [8D]
  • Options
    BergtrefferBergtreffer Member Posts: 629 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I guess that I am more of a geezer than the rest of you. In Army basic I had a Springfield M-1 Garand, over in Japan I had another Springfield M-1, and when they took away our M-1's later they gave us brand new M-14's. Unfortunately I can't remember who the manufacturer of the M-14 was.