In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.

Vietnam Vets

jkoenig86jkoenig86 Member Posts: 2 ✭✭
edited November 2010 in US Military Veteran Forum
Hey guys, I found this site while searching for some information. I am currently working on a project for my grandfather who served with the Kansas National Guard during Vietnam. I am making a shadowbox with all of his decorations, but the copy of his DD-214 I have looks to be from when he left active duty and went back to the National Guard. Is there any way to get an updated copy without him knowing? He has 4 decorations on it, the National Defense Service Medal, Vietnam Service Medal, Vietnam Campaign Medal, and the Army Commendation Medal. I was doing some research about whether there were any retroactive awards that may not show up. I found that his unit should have received the Vietnam Gallantry Cross with Palm from the govt of Vietnam giving it to all units who served there. I am just looking for any info you guys have about getting this information I need. The only reason I don't ask him is because he doesn't talk about it and my uncle and I want to surprise him.

Also, he served with the 1st BN 5th Cavalry while called up in Active Duty in Vietnam. He was based with the Kansas National Guard in Hiawatha, KS.

Comments

• todd13todd13 Member Posts: 7 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    check records and deeds at your local court house. If he ever made a registered copy, that is where you'll find it. If not, go directly to the Pentagon and make sure you have his social security number. This number is the only means of identification as far as the government is concerned. The Pentagon should be able to point you in the right direction. Good luck!!
  • elubsmeelubsme Member Posts: 1,977 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Go to your local V.A. office. All you will need is his service number. The local V.A. officer got my father in laws records from WWII. I agree with Todd about the courthouse, but it would be the town where your Grandpa lived after he was released from duty. We all checked in at the local court house after discharge and they have our papers on file. E.Z.
  • ltcdotyltcdoty Member Posts: 4,163 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Google this...The National Personnel Records Center, Military Personnel Records (NPRC-MPR)
  • EOD GuyEOD Guy Member Posts: 931
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by todd13
    check records and deeds at your local court house. If he ever made a registered copy, that is where you'll find it. If not, go directly to the Pentagon and make sure you have his social security number. This number is the only means of identification as far as the government is concerned. The Pentagon should be able to point you in the right direction. Good luck!!

If the service was before July 1, 1969, a social security number was not used. He would have had an Army Service Number. The Navy and Marine Corps changed over on January 1, 1972.