In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.

viet nam service

woodhogwoodhog Member Posts: 13,115 ✭✭
edited January 2011 in US Military Veteran Forum
bout 2 years ago I was working on a construction crew , building foundations for homes in a central california mountain community.We would take our break in our vehicles parked along the roadway, a small road with occasional traffic going to the homes on down the street. One day, I noticed an odd liscense plate, couldn't quite read it. A few days later, I got another chance as the car rolled by, it read simply 'congressional medal of honor', spelled out completely in fairly small letters.I pointed this out to a couple other guys on the job the next time this car drove by, this time I got a look at the fellow driving. He looke to young for WWII or LKorea, so I went home that night a looked up CMOH folks that might be from our local.When I found the story of this mans' actions it was unbelievable. I brought it to work and our crew stood in awe when we saw him pass henceforth. We later saw him at the 'coming home' celebration last spring, where he led the veterens parade down our Main street. This episode had a profound effect , and when I hear terms like sports hero etc, Inow realize how short of the real thing we mostly are.

Comments

• dheffleydheffley Member Posts: 25,000
    edited November -1
    All men have fear, the difference in men and hero's is how they react to it.
  • joker19joker19 Member Posts: 110 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    Keep that thought!!! You are differant now.......never forget it. I have the Silver Star, one below the MOH and we never thought a second of what it took to get it.......we never wanted it! It is an award that makes Americans feel good about rotten things they do to thier soldiers!!!!!!!!
  • joker19joker19 Member Posts: 110 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    What an absolute crook of crap. A hero is someone that has to do a job on a seconds notice and someone sees it! NOT ONE SINGLE PERSON that ever won a medal ever expected to get it or for all that never wanted recognition for it. What a true load of crap!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
  • dheffleydheffley Member Posts: 25,000
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by joker19
    What an absolute crook of crap. A hero is someone that has to do a job on a seconds notice and someone sees it! NOT ONE SINGLE PERSON that ever won a medal ever expected to get it or for all that never wanted recognition for it. What a true load of crap!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I agree, but fear affects men in different ways. I saw men who went through the same basic training, and one big tough guy who you would think was going to be a great soldier, and one little skinny guy who you thought would crumble, ended up being total opposites, and it was all in how they handled the fear they faced.

The big guy froze and shook, the little guy took command of the situation and never let any sign of fear show.

You do what you do, you react with the training you've been given, but something, somewhere comes from inside and is not taught. I never saw anyone do anything looking for a reward or recognition, but I saw some pretty brave things from people I didn't expect to see it from.

Your experiences are the ones you remember, and if anyone saw anything else, or if they perceive anything different than you do, they are full of crap?

Man, you need to get over yourself. You and you alone are not the total memories or experience of that day or time.

PS, you've already run off three good folks with your loud mouth and "only I know what happened" attitude. Keep it up and you will not be here.
  • woodhogwoodhog Member Posts: 13,115 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    Sirs; No disrespect was mean't to anyone My point was merely that in this era we are calling virtually anyone a hero, sports figures etc etc. Perhaps we long for the real deal, just to know they still exist. My experience in learning of this man's deeds was really life changing, wondering how I might measure up facing such circumstances and seeing the world in a much different light.It is quite apparent from the narrative he was driven soley by a desire to protect his fellows. Both of you have faced your share no doubt, but if you're interested and care to go to the CMOH site, look up Vietnam era, Jon Cavaiani and know what a comfort and how proud we are to have such a man in our midst .
  • 70-10170-101 Member Posts: 1,006
    edited November -1

Oh yeah? What about John Kerry...[:D]
  • rivethookrivethook Member Posts: 163 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Keep that thought!!! You are differant now.......never forget it. I have the Silver Star, one below the MOH and we never thought a second of what it took to get it.......we never wanted it! It is an award that makes Americans feel good about rotten things they do to thier soldiers!!!!!!!!

If he knew what he was talking about he would know that the Silver Star is not just below the MOH its the Distinguished Service Cross, the Silver Star ranks 5th on the list. If your going to spout BS check you facts there are people on this form who have these awards.
  • john6012john6012 Member Posts: 97 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    A hero is not a sports figure, he is just an employee making an obscene amount of money he doesn't deserve. A hero is one who lays down or risks his life for another and we have had many in this nation's wars, many of whom have never been recognized-and probably don't want to be. I say this ebccause these so-called sports hereos are nothing but crap! They didn't serve in the defense of their country and will never volunteer with the exception of one who was killed in friendly-fire. I am sick and tired of these sports "Heros." I wouldnt' walk across the street to see them but would go way out of my way to thank a real hero who served in the defense of our nation. God bless these MEN!
  • hedi01hedi01 Member Posts: 2 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    Fabulous Five stars! The police drama "The Closer"[url=http://www.dvdtopshop.com/en/tv-series-dvd-boxset/the-closer-seasons-1-5-dvd-boxset-.html]the closer dvd[/url] will open your eyes as Deputy Chief Brenda Leigh Johnson cracks each case by making them speak! He rarely shows episodic[url][/url]24 hours dvd cable: a show successful on both skills and critical level, can slug it out with the networks 'Big Four' shows and has translated to a full command of the watch [url][/url]walt disney dvdthe second season. I only wish we could get 22 episodes per season from cable networks. But the fact that it's on TNT, a network that boasts "We know drama!" , Help, really. When was the last time[url][/url]smallville dvd you saw any network, add 10 minutes to one final season of a show or the second game of the season "without publicity"? Am [url][/url]grey's anatomy dvdI the only one who was fascinated by the early trailers, which showed a ticked-off Brenda leaves the interrogation room in a huff, while the lady accused insisted that she get back up and continue the interrogation? Wild stuff, for sure.
  • Rocky RaabRocky Raab Member Posts: 14,138 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I took your comments as they were intended, woodhog. And they were spot on. "Hero" is a much-diluted word these days because we seem to bestow honorifics on people merely to shore up their self-esteem. It is despicable because it diminishes the value of genuine heroes.

There are real heroes outside the military, but athletes and den mothers do not qualify in my book.
    I may be a bit crazy - but I didn't drive myself.