In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.
Options

% of combat ops

joker19joker19 Member Posts: 110 ✭✭
edited January 2011 in US Military Veteran Forum
As in any war only 38% actually do the rotten part of the war the others are desk warriors and, well what can I say deserve the same honors, the only part bad is they hang thier heads in shame but thier mouth runs away with thier "I wish" ideas! I rememeber the jungle the little buzzards that gave me my fatigues said "have a nice trip"!!!!

Comments

• Options
    cercer Member Posts: 826 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    so you think only 38% deserve to be called viet nam vets?
  • Options
    IronrifleIronrifle Member Posts: 664
    edited November -1
    I believe he thinks he was the only combat vet there?
  • Options
    MMOMEQ-55MMOMEQ-55 Member Posts: 13,134
    edited November -1
    And he has a silver star![:0]

A little something interesting, there is a list of military who was awarded the Silver star in VN on line. Unless you use a different name in your profile, your name is not on that list.
  • Options
    Old-ColtsOld-Colts Member Posts: 22,700 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    The non-numeric portion of his username seems apropos!

If you can't feel the music; it's only pink noise!

• Options
    rivethookrivethook Member Posts: 164 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Well I've read his posts when I needed a laugh, did anyone really think his name would be on the Silver Star list I figured it wouldn't be long before he made a boast that someone could check they normally do. If he knew what he was talking about he would know that the Silver Star is not just below the MOH its the Distinguished Service Cross, the Silver Star ranks 5th on the list. If your going to spout BS check you facts there are people on this form who have these awards.
  • Options
    kimikimi Member Posts: 44,723 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by us55840
    quote:Originally posted by joker19
    As in any war only 38% actually do the rotten part of the war the others are desk warriors and, well what can I say deserve the same honors, the only part bad is they hang thier heads in shame but thier mouth runs away with thier "I wish" ideas! I rememeber the jungle the little buzzards that gave me my fatigues said "have a nice trip"!!!!

What are you mad about or at?

You seem to have some deep problems you are trying to vent.

Just my opinion.

Your opinion is right on, or we have another wannabe.
    What's next?
  • Options
    70-10170-101 Member Posts: 1,006
    edited November -1
    Maybe he's just joking...[;)]
  • Options
    edited November -1
    Or maybe he's just a joke [:D][:D]
  • Options
    edited November -1
    didn't say that....I said only 38% of us faced the enemy, the others faced the typewriter....WHICH ARE YOU? I bet I know!
  • Options
    edited November -1
    Have I found an "eek" and "scarey" site??????
  • Options
    edited November -1
    didn't say that....I said only 38% of us faced the enemy, the others faced the typewriter....WHICH ARE YOU? I bet I know!

So what's the big deal about who you faced joker? I don't have a lick more respect for combat vets than I do those service people who served during the NAM era, since it was mostly the luck of the draw of who ended up where once they joined. BTW, what was the name of your outfit and when were you in country?
    What's next?
  • Options
    edited November -1
    282 Alleycats (UH1C gunhships) DaNang Marble Moujntain Airfield
    48th AHC Joker Gunships (Dong Ha, Khe Sahn) Lam Sahn 719 Laos flights
    173rd Robin Hood Crossbow Guns also Lam Sahn 719 Laos Flights.

Bronze Star
    87 Air Medals
    3 Purple Hearts

Go to US Army Flight School class 70-11 Ft Wolters TX or 70-13 Ft Rucker and look For COWLEY.

Any more stupid questions just ask!!!!!!!!!
  • Options
    edited November -1
    Now who are YOU??? What typewriter did you use?
  • Options
    edited November -1
    The BIG DEAL is a typwriter can't kill you!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
  • Options
    edited November -1
    The BIG DEAL is a typwriter can't kill you!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

So? When were you in country and what outfit(s) did you serve with there?
    What's next?
  • Options
    edited November -1

Bronze Star
    87 Air Medals
    3 Purple Hearts

Go to US Army Flight School class 70-11 Ft Wolters TX or 70-13 Ft Rucker and look For COWLEY.

This an $3.25 will get you a 16 oz. latte of your choice. [^]
    What's next?
  • Options
    edited November -1
    Where was the 7th Engineers and the Seabees billeted in the Marble Mountain area? [;)]
    What's next?
  • Options
    edited November -1
    Dodger19 Dodger19...come in...
    What's next?
  • Options
    edited November -1
    joker19 posted
    Keep that thought!!! You are differant now.......never forget it. I have the Silver Star, one below the MOH and we never thought a second of what it took to get it.......we never wanted it! It is an award that makes Americans feel good about rotten things they do to thier soldiers!!!!!!!!

What happened to your Silver Star and in who's army is it one below he MOH [V] it looks like it turned to Bronze (does it have a device on it) do you have a VA card if so what does it say on the front. [?][?]
  • Options
    CapnMidnightCapnMidnight Member Posts: 8,520
    edited November -1
    Rivethook,
    Tarnish, it tarnished. They'll do that you know.[;)]
    W.D.
  • Options
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by CapnMidnight
    Rivethook,
    Tarnish, it tarnished. They'll do that you know.[;)]
    W.D.

I never thought of that, thats what must have happened[:D]
  • Options
    cavman 69cavman 69 Member Posts: 654 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    joker 19, if you where a pilot, you don't give much credit to the guys that kept you in the air.
  • Options
    Rocky RaabRocky Raab Member Posts: 14,198 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I won't comment about joker19's claims. But I'll say this: the guy at the tip of the spear deserves a lot of credit, but he's nothing without the rest of the spear. ALL those people behind him are the ones who make it possible for him to be there and do his job.

The guys who maintained my planes, the guys who ordered the parts, the guys who manned the radios, the guys who drove the trucks to bring it to me, the cooks who fed me and the guys who laundered my clothes were all there in Vietnam. They were all just as exposed to rockets and mortars, all just as liable to have their throats slit in the barber's chair as I was.

Yes, I got shot at on almost every combat mission, but that diminishes what the other guys did for me not one whit.
    I may be a bit crazy - but I didn't drive myself.
  • Options
    MMOMEQ-55MMOMEQ-55 Member Posts: 13,134
    edited November -1

Bronze Star
    87 Air Medals
    3 Purple Hearts

Now I know you claimed that you was awarded a silver star. So what was it a Bronze or a silver?
  • Options
    n/an/a Member Posts: 168,427
    edited November -1
    I am not a vet, I was 5 when this man was killed.

He saw combat ops.

http://www.virtualwall.org/dt/TallmanRJ01a.htm

He was from my hometown. My Great Aunt Agnes taught him in school, my older brother went to HS with one of his sons.
  • Options
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by PBJloaf

He saw combat ops.

He was from my hometown. My Great Aunt Agnes taught him in school, my older brother went to HS with one of his sons.

I think I know how you feel. I was six years old when the kids on my block lost one of their idols. He was a Marine who made the Inchon landing in Korea, and upon scaling the wall he ran forward and got hit waist high with a blast from a burp gun which folded him in half and carried him backwards. He had 52 holes in his torso, so the story goes as was told to me by a Marine who was beside him when he was killed in action. He was my first hero and deserving of all the admiration and appreciation that I have been able to muster.
    What's next?
  • Options
    n/an/a Member Posts: 168,427
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by kimi
    quote:Originally posted by PBJloaf

He saw combat ops.

I think I know how you feel. I was six years old when the kids on my block lost one of their idols. He was a Marine who made the Inchon landing in Korea, and upon scaling the wall he ran forward and got hit waist high with a blast from a burp gun which folded him in half and carried him backwards. He had 52 holes in his torso, so the story goes as was told to me by a Marine who was beside him when he was killed in action. He was my first hero and deserving of all the admiration and appreciation that I have been able to muster.

kimi -

odd part was I never knew about this man until about 7 years ago.

We have had famous military figures from my hometown (David McKelvey Peterson, WWI ace, General Lyman L. Lemnitzer SACEUR, later head of the JCS), but no one seems to remember BGN Tallman.

But now they will.

http://www.wayneindependent.com/news/x1757257066/Baker-backs-renaming-bridge-after-local-war-hero
  • Options
    flapjackflapjack Member Posts: 58 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    This whole "I'm the only real Viet Nam Vet" comes from what a friend of mine, who had four tours flying almost everything with a rotory wing, called "WAR LORDS." I just think it is sad, especially if he is a Nam Vet, but sad either way. Some that have severe untreated PTSD have developed personality disorders that manifest with this kind of behavior. They look and sound like just another blow hard, but many that sound like this are actually veterans. What ever the case, these folks need help, and prayer. It is my position to honor everyone's service. As it was well said, most of us just went and did what we were told, and that's honorable all by itself. Hopefully, this Joker guy wouldn,t have us take the names of everyone off of the wall that didn't meet his criteria as a valuablbe contributor. The guy that ran a desk gets my vote. I'm pretty sure I could not have done that job. Those that had assignments like that have a rough time asking for help with the symtums of survivors guilt that most of us deal with, including cooks, because "all I was was a...". I'm sure the folks in Long Bihn were real glad the cooks were out on the line jacking rounds durring Tet of 68. They have been credited with keeping that part ot that very long perimeter from being over run. I don't know about anyone else, but I ain't messin with a hung over mess Sargeant with a 12 guage! Welcome home EVERYONE, and thank you for what you did. It is not only good, but it is wonderful that you made it back, and I think the ones that are on that blck wall over by the Lincoln Memorial would want us to know that too. Flapjack