In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.
Options

A question please.

garanchgaranch Member Posts: 3,681
edited February 2011 in US Military Veteran Forum
First I must say thank you to all who have served.

I have a question. This morning I was following a guy in a pickup and on his window he hade a "Viet Nam Veteran" sticker on his window. Right under that was an "Iraq Veteran" sticker. Both had a bunch of ribbons on them. On the other side of the window was a US Army sticker. The question I have is --- is it normal for a guy to be a verteran of both wars? I would figure that if a person was a Viet Nam veteran then they would be retired by the time the Iraqi crap started.

Just curious and thanks again to all of you veterans.

Comments

• Options
    kimikimi Member Posts: 44,723 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Thanks for the comment to those who have served. Yes, many of the Vietnam era vets got out of service, and went back on duty to serve in Iraq. How many, I don't know.
    What's next?
  • Options
    woodshermitwoodshermit Member Posts: 2,589
    edited November -1
    It could be that the owner of the truck is a Vietnam vet with a son or daughter serving in Iraq.
  • Options
    garanchgaranch Member Posts: 3,681
    edited November -1
    Thank you for your replies. I was just curious.

Again thanks for your service veterans. I cannot imagine the sacrifices that you have made. (even if you were never sent to a "war" zone) you were told to relocate to somewhere, etc.. without any choice in the matter. Civilians do not have to go through this unless they choose to. Now going to a "war zone" is a whole other matter. People just do not realize what you all have done.

You were told to go somewhere, you did it. You were told to do something, you did it. Even if you did not agree with the "politics" of the situation, you served with honor and dignity. Even if you did not agree with, or even like your superiors, you served as you were told. Bravo!!!!

Alot of people should pause for a moment and really think about the sacrifices that are made by our servicemen. I could care less if he/she is a front line soldier in a very "hot" area, or a supply clerk on a small base located in the heartland of America, you are doing your job of serving your country. Thanks!!!!!
  • Options
    Rocky RaabRocky Raab Member Posts: 14,202 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    One of my fellow Forward Air Controllers from 'Nam was contracted to see if flying that kind of mission was still survivable and as a result he flew a number of combat missions in the first Iraq war. He's the only AF pilot I know who flew combat in both. It is conceivable that some Army rotorheads also did, but I couldn't say.
    I may be a bit crazy - but I didn't drive myself.
  • Options
    cavman 69cavman 69 Member Posts: 654 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    a marine nam vet i know joined the national guard after nam and got deployed to the 1st iraq war. i saw him shortly after he got home, all he had to say about it was " well, i finally got a welcome home".