In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.
Options

REMAINING VETERANS

Hot LeadHot Lead Member Posts: 2 ✭✭
edited March 2011 in US Military Veteran Forum
I read awhile back that the last remaining veteran of WWI died. He was 110 years old. I have also heard that there are only about 10% of the World War II vets still living. My question is this.
Does anybody have any stats or info on how many Vietnam vets are still living ? Percentages of living are kind of easy for my gray matter to comprehend. Thanks for your input. Take care and God bless.

Comments

• Options
    EOD GuyEOD Guy Member Posts: 931
    edited November -1
    It may be hard to figure out since there were at least twice as many people claiming Vietnam service than the government ever sent there.
  • Options
    flapjackflapjack Member Posts: 58 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    I don't know if anyone else noticed, but a while ago, when Viet Nam Vets were getting to be 50'ish, there was what seemed to be a significant increase in the obituaries of the passing of Viet Nam Veterans. I live in a county in Florida that has a dispropoportunate number of veterans, so the increase over the average death rate of Viet Nam Veterans was very noticable, beginning with a build up-peaking a couple of years later-and finally declining after a period of about 3 years. My awareness was at a higher level durring the later 90's and the early 20's, because I was in therapy for about 2 1/2 of those years (PTSD) and I was also studying stress related disorders durring and after that time period, for quite a while. My thought has always been that Self Medication-in all of its forms: work-dope-booze-etc etc, seems to have culled out a large number of those that had progressively gotten to the point where they were very vulnerable, and those conditions, what ever they were, became severe enough to take these brothers out in their 50's. It is easy for me to see it, I was very close to being one of their nunber, in an assortment of ways. I wasn't sure I wanted to hang around, but I'm glad that I did now, by The Grace of God. Flapjack