In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.
Options

Favor C-ration?

2»

Comments

• Options
    Belt Fed .50 Cal.Belt Fed .50 Cal. Member Posts: 15 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    I liked the Sketti & Meat Balls, Beanie Weenies, Peaches and Pound Cake the best. The Scrambled Eggs and Ham & MF's were No.10. I have no doubt that the Fruit Cake was planted in the C-Rats by Hanoi Jane to kill us. After 42 years I still carry my P-38 on my key ring! I still use it once in a while.
  • Options
    Fighto109Fighto109 Member Posts: 7 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    Fav was Beanie weenies - Fruits etc. I can't believe someone posted that they like the ham and egg )chopped w/water-- couldn't get the
    scout dog even to eat them-- Ugh! what a thought. We did have one guy that never ate C's - got a package every mail day with food from home. Don't know how he managed to do this but, I benefited because he gave me all his C's - I took what I wanted and passed the rest around. Also
    who in the world would eat the John Wayne bars?? -- The village kids would call us #10, if we tried to give it to them. To each is own, I guess.
  • Options
    Fighto109Fighto109 Member Posts: 7 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    I also still have my p38 and use it off an on --
  • Options
    tronarattronarat Member Posts: 13 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    I don't remember see a hard mounted M-60 ,that didn't have a can on ham and Lima beans clamped to the side of the receiver. The only thing I ever did with the white bread was soak it in JP4, and use it to heat other meals.When I got out I'd buy C-rats at a gun show to take hunting.
  • Options
    GREASYGREASY Member Posts: 19 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    OH YES: C-rats mine would be the beany weenies and the canned peaches,I would trade you a shortime girl for the peaches. Now for the others well lets talk about some of the best ammo you could get out of one those boxes lets try BOLTON BISCITS, they were deadly at say 50 meters, I threw one at my tank and I swear it stuck into the turret. I knew they were bad as my dog wouldnt eat them, then he would lick his butt trying to get the taste out of his mouth, man those things were deadly.And least I forget the fruit cake, that was possibly a organic frag, then the most deadly of all THE HERSHEY TROPICANA BAR. Man that stuff wasnt made for the young, those things would kill you just trying to eat them. GREASY....ALLONS.[xx(]
  • Options
    11echo11echo Member Posts: 1,007 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    quote:GREASY ...the most deadly of all THE HERSHEY TROPICANA BAR. Man that stuff wasnt made for the young, those things would kill you just trying to eat them
    ...We called them "John Wayne bars"! They weren't so bad going down, but afterward you were pooping square turds for days! [:D]
  • Options
    JPony56hdJPony56hd Member Posts: 5 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    I learned to like the stuff no body else liked and trade meals. One spagetti would get you three han and lima beans. I never went hungry and I still like Fruit Cake.. We used to use the soda crackers (hockey pucks) and granades for fishing.
  • Options
    1st Air Cav1st Air Cav Member Posts: 4 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    Peaches and pound cake!!!!!!!!!!!!! Beenies and weenies, spaghetti and meatballs, any b-1a meal was a winner. Worst was the breakfast, ham, chopped, water added, etc. I ate that fooey up till I read the label, couldn't touch it afterwards.
  • Options
    1st Air Cav1st Air Cav Member Posts: 4 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    Later-on we got our hands on some LRP's, geeez, boil water, kneed the packet and eat like a king!
  • Options
    strawberrystrawberry Member Posts: 7
    edited November -1
    Loved the chicken stew. The chil was'nt bad at all,had to use more water and sit longer,the lrrp's were a little bit better than the C's

[:D]
  • Options
    biddybopbiddybop Member Posts: 4 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    I liked the chicken noodle soup best. And peaches and pound cake. Beans and weenies was good too. But ham and lima beens, Whew! it had way too much salt in it.
    Another favorite was to take the piece of bread out of the can, slice into three layers, then spread the cheese on the slices. Put the slices back in the can, fold the lid down, place the can back in the c-ration box and set it on fire. That's what I call a grilled cheese sandwich in those days. I make a lot better one now though. It don't smell like burnt paper. [:D]
  • Options
    MUZZLESMOKEMUZZLESMOKE Member Posts: 17 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    Ham and mother f*&&ker was my favorite. the best part of the whole box was...............the 4 ciggs in a pack. That was the only time in my life I seen square ones, lucky strikes, Palmal, chesterfield. they were so nasty you could get a buzz smoking them

Charlie 7th Engineers 68-69 USMC
  • Options
    EvanBEvanB Member Posts: 15 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    Mine was Ham and Lima Beans also called "Ham and mutherf'ers". Hated them at first but found out that by adding a cheese, crackers and Hot sauce, it wasnt bad. But then again, half a bottle of hot sauce changes things!
  • Options
    excavmanexcavman Member Posts: 39 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    Being in the engineers meant we always had good accomadations, like for instance a chow hall, but that didn't mean the food was always fit to eat. We kept C-rats in the hooch just in case. My favorite was the ham & beans or the boned chicken, the pound cake was good, too. Our C-rat boxes were dated 1951-53. We traded pallets of plywood to the Koreans for them. 554th Red Horse 67-68
  • Options
    1USMC11USMC1 Member Posts: 11 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    Ham & Mo's!

SF

4th Marines '66-'67
  • Options
    e3mrke3mrk Member Posts: 1,851 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I liked the Pork and Beans,Hot or Cold.
    I hated the Ham and Eggs,There wasn't enough Tabasco in the World to make Those edible.
  • Options
    romerromer Member Posts: 44 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    did not make too much difference which c rations if you were hungry.
    Probably worse was assault reations we got for our combat jump at munsan-ni, Korea on 23 March 1951. We got three boxes about the size of a cracker-jack box. That was supposed to last 3 days. Appreciated the c-rations when we got back..............

187th Airborne Regimental Combat Team.
  • Options
    BergtrefferBergtreffer Member Posts: 629 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    The turkey loaf was my favorite. It hit the stomach and stayed there for a long time, which was a good thing. And I liked the Lucky Strike cigarettes.
  • Options
    EvanBEvanB Member Posts: 15 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    Favorite became Ham and Lima Beans also called Ham and MF's. It was really about the worst till you mixed it with broken crackers, some cheese and hot sauce. Then it was the largest quantity of food you could get in a meal and tasted pretty good depending on how much hot sauce you could tolerate.

Worst for me was Ham and eggs chopped. It is still a nightmare for PTSD reasons and also tasted like crap.
  • Options
    ABRACADABRAABRACADABRA Member Posts: 24 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    Lonely for 'Nam vittles? Guess what: MciIlhenny tabasco
    sauce folks will send anyone a gennie Hot-sauce cook-book,
    just like we had up in EyE-Core. The recipe book has NEVER
    gone out of print. As for the C-rats, we Air Force guys usually
    ways to get into the larger hamlets -- downtown Da Nang was
    a swingin' place after the other G.I.s and cops went home! We
    tossed all of our C-rats out to the kids and women on the roads.
    We drove sand-bagged International Scouts as our vehicles, and
    we'd always pick up a straggling Gyrene going to R&R at China Beach,
    and hustle him into our barracks for a change of clothes, and
    then to the B-girls who gave him a REAL treat!!! The hardest
    part was having him let go of his weapon!! Marines are SERIOUS!!
    A lot of 'Nam was nice, if you tried to treat folks nice. Other parts,
    like being gradually eaten away now by Agent-O really does suck.
    I have a C-rats box in my personal kit of stuff. I want to be buried with it.
  • Options
    Flingwing1969Flingwing1969 Member Posts: 1 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by Sting
    Ham and lima beans. And once they are hot, you add and mix the crushed-up crackers and cheese that you have traded to get.

Heating food or coffee is easier on a 105 crew. The powder charge bags that are discarded during firing missions contain hundreds of little rabbitt-like pellets that can be hand-fed under the food one pellet at a time till it's hot.
    Carried a bag of "powder" with me all the time for that very purpose.
  • Options
    11echo11echo Member Posts: 1,007 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    I heated mine by taking the box they came in, cutting an "X" in the side and putting the C-rat can in the box and burning the box with the can in it ...it wasn't super hot, but warm enough. I always left the can lid attached and used the TP supplied with the package as a pot holder ...worked everytime! [:D]
  • Options
    ChuckWBIVChuckWBIV Member Posts: 351 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Cookies.

I used to rove the grounds at Benning in '64/'65 (age 5), and pick up some of the C-rations that troops tossed away. I'd run home, and get my mom to open them. Pretty soon, they wouldn't get opened til AFTER supper, and I learned how to use the little gig that my dad gave me:

41QX-HX53PL._SL500_AA300_.jpg
  • Options
    DEFCONDEFCON Member Posts: 4 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    Ham and MotherF*****'s with cheese. Peaches or fruit cocktail. Cigarettes were trash but I smoked them. Dinky dow too.
  • Options
    Rick S.Rick S. Member Posts: 33 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    Ham and eggs, cold. everybody hated 'em so I had lots to eat!
  • Options
    River RatRiver Rat Member Posts: 9,022
    edited November -1
    I vaguely remember the B-1 and B-2 units. Liked the desserts. The one thing I remember best is the canned peaches. Man, we fought over those!
  • Options
    edited November -1
    Wow, I haven't been on this site much lately. Just make a comment, and then realized I said the same thing on '07! At least I'm consistent!
  • Options
    keithmichigankeithmichigan Member Posts: 311 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    My sweet wonderful Mother wasn't a terribly good cook.
    As a consequence I could gut most of them. Guess I never expected to get steak. Now that I think of it I don't know if I ever got a steak at home.

OK I got way of track but Chopped Ham and Eggs sucked unless you mixed the cheese from the B 1A unit with it. Then they were all Good.
  • Options
    edited November -1
    When I was on the USS Oriskany (CVA-34) in the very early 70s, we'd go to general quarters and be issued C-rats. These were ancient, WWII vintage stock the Navy was trying to use up. They included cigarettes, Pall Malls, which the smokers at our battle station said were so dried out they were disgusting. Also chiclets, I think in packs of two that had turned black over the years. Nobody tried them.

One kid looked at the date on a can, and said "I can't eat this! It's older than I am!" We were warned to watch for bloated cans.

Later, in-country, we'd get newer meals that didn't have cigs in them.